What's new

WRT320N throughput problem, please help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

retfeg

New Around Here
i currently have the Linksys WRT320N running a stable version of DD-WRT.
It is setup on the first floor of the 2100 sf house.

On the first floor, the reception is good. Yet, I am only getting from 0 to 1 bar reception from it on the second floor, at the far end room.

Is there anything else I can do, or settings I can change to increase iits throughput power? Or do I need to upgrade to a better router.

I can by a used Linksys E4200 for $60. Would this be a substantial upgrade?

I woluld love to stay with the current router though if there is a way to get the signal to the second floor far room.

Any suggestions would me much appreciated

You need another access point what you have can only go so far with the signal. You should look on ebay for a second one you have their with DDWRT for it. Best to use match devices.

Sorry, but i am totally lost on what you recomended. Access point?
Is that one of those plugin devices? What do you mean by matching what I have?
Can you direct me to any ebay link to show me exactly what I need?
Thanks a lot.

Sorry, but i am totally lost on what you recomended. Access point?
Is that one of those plugin devices? What do you mean by matching what I have?
Can you direct me to any ebay link to show me exactly what I need?
Thanks a lot.

You try to get another WRT320N install DD-WRT then use the feature called under the list time to put the Wireless Router into WAP or Wireless Access Point mode which would disable DHCP Server. Give the device a static IP meaning you assign the IP address for it instead of having your main WRT320N do it.

1# WRT320N DD-WRT DHCP Server main WiFi Router AP this is also called Wireless Access Point the Primary meaning the first one.

2# WRT320N DD-WRT Disabled DHCP Server Secondary WiFi AP (Access Point) This can be wired which is high recommend. You would run a CAT5e Ethernet Cable from Port 4 from #1 to Port 1 #2.

More info is on DD-WRT for how to make the router become Wireless Access Point.

Just go on ebay and search for the WRT320N and see what results you get? You could buy anything else but if you like using what you have with DD-WRT it's best to stick with another one. Or look on the list at DD-WRT web site to see what other choices you have for WiFi Routers that support their firmware.

I do jave another Netgear router with DD-WRT on it. I could use it.
How about Linksys e4200?
It has much higher throughput ratings than mine. Would it splve my problem?

throughput in WiFi is usually constrained by a combination of the client devices' good-ness and the RF signal propagation impairments given us by the laws of physics.

I do jave another Netgear router with DD-WRT on it. I could use it.
How about Linksys e4200?
It has much higher throughput ratings than mine. Would it splve my problem?

Use that one then if you have DD-WRT would make it easier for you to control your settings beyond the manufacturer settings. So you can tweak your network WiFi.

Could you please be more specific about tweaking settings. Which settings do i tweak yo rxtend my router's range? Is there a tutorial somewhere in tweaking dd-wrt settings to extend the router's range?

Could you please be more specific about tweaking settings. Which settings do i tweak yo rxtend my router's range? Is there a tutorial somewhere in tweaking dd-wrt settings to extend the router's range?

Can you post links showing your DD-WRT for TX reading? If you access GUI Web it shows what the TX power is set too for your WiFi Routers.

Also pay attention to the RX errors do you see many on both of your routers?

How to setup DD-WRT on WiFi Router as a Wireless Access point
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless_Access_Point

More help on DD-WRT
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Help:Contents

You have two links the first one will teach you more about how to setup second WiFi Router with DD-WRT on it and the second link to help ask questions or read answers about using your two different brand models that you have there now with DD-WRT on it. See what tweaks you can learn.

Tweaking DD-WRT is the TX Power setting but you have to be very careful doing that. Too high of a setting might damage your router and too low of a setting might not make you too happy. So leaving at the default setting that was designed by the DD-WRT author at the time would be more ideal for you.

You also need to do a site WiFi survey to see how your signal is in your house or dwelling. If you have Android smartphone or tablet those are easier to test. Or you can do it with laptop too. Both devices have WiFi testing software to help you check that out.

Most of those tools are listed on this forum.

Wireless Status
MAC Address00:23:69:61:9E:32
RadioRadio is On
ModeAP
NetworkMixed
SSIDLacsa
Channel8
TX Power71 mW
Rate117 Mbps
Encryption - Interface wl0Enabled, WPA Personal
PPTP StatusDisconnected

Wireless Packet Info
Received (RX)
100%744029 OK, 2635 errors
Transmitted (TX)
100%1671128 OK, 84 errors

Which one is the for you post above? First router or the second one you have? TX 71 I would leave that alone.

Have you experimented with the orientation of the router? If you have it lying flat on a desk or something try turning it into a vertical position as it would be if wall mounted. I have several WRT320N's running and all of them give very good wireless coverage but all are wall mounted. It's worth a try.

The settings posted are for a single router. I do not have any other connected to it at the moment.
I am trying to solve the issue with just one router.
It is in a vertical position, indeed.

Sounds like you need two of them going.. But keep on testing..