What's new

Xbox360 wireless connection problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MY Luck

Ok just recieved the RT-N66U and after a couple minutes of searching online for my problem I find myself here with you guys :)..... The main reason I bought this was to stream via hardwire to my xbox extenders. I really don't want to wait or chance that updates are coming so here is my question?
I'm sure my two story household of five with cell phones and ipods is common, thats basically all that connects wifi (phones and ipods)

Is this (RT-N66U) over kill for hardwire HD/ netflix type streaming?

would this router (ASUS Black Diamond Dual-Band Wireless-N 600 Router (RT-N56U) be just as good?
Frequency: 2.4 ~ 5 GHz; Data Rate: 802.11n - up to 300Mbps data rate; Wired Performance: WAN to LAN: up to 900Mbps; LAN to LAN: 1Gbps
Giga Fiber Internet Support: The increasingly popular Gigabit FTTH allows the download of a full HD movie in about just 5 minutes
One Router for Printing, Scanning and Surfing: Effortless Multitasking for Multiple Users
Interface: 1x WAN port, 4x LAN ports for 10/100/1000 BaseT, Port: 2x USB 2.0 ports
WAN to LAN throughput over 900Mbps; Standard: IEEE 802.11b; IEEE 802.11g; IEEE 802.11n

After further review I'm thinking this is all I need ASUS (RT-N16) Wireless-N 300
Powerful CPU provides a high-performance throughput; Support up to 300,000 sessions for extensive P2P clients
Network Standard: IEEE80211b, IEEE80211g, IEEE80211n Draft; Interface: WAN: 1x RJ45 for 10/100/1000 BaseT
USB: 2x USB20; Antenna: 3x external antenna; Operating Frequency: 24 ~ 25 GHz
Sensitivity: ANT0 -75dBm, ANT1 -75dBm (at 54Mbps data rate), Firewall: NAT and SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection)
Encryption: Supports 64/128-bit WEP; WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK; WPA-Enterprise, WPA2-Enterprise; Radius with 8021x

Thanks and I hope those of you that are waiting have a happy outcome soon :)

Joe

Last edited:
Ok just recieved the RT-N66U and after a couple minutes of searching online for my problem I find myself here with you guys :)..... The main reason I bought this was to stream via hardwire to my xbox extenders. I really don't want to wait or chance that updates are coming so here is my question?
I'm sure my two story household of five with cell phones and ipods is common, thats basically all that connects wifi (phones and ipods)

Is this (RT-N66U) over kill for hardwire HD/ netflix type streaming?

would this router (ASUS Black Diamond Dual-Band Wireless-N 600 Router (RT-N56U) be just as good?

After further review I'm thinking this is all I need ASUS (RT-N16) Wireless-N 300

Thanks and I hope those of you that are waiting have a happy outcome soon :)

Joe

The other ASUS routers probably won't have the same range as the N66U (or throughput at a given range). But did you bother to actually read this thread before jumping straight to the end to write a post?

First of all, this problem only affects Xboxes that connect via Wifi, not hardwire, so if you're hardwired as you say, whatever issue you're having isn't related to the firmware bug discussed here. But even if you're using Wifi, there's already a pre-release firmware linked a few posts back that seems to cure the issue if you want to use that, or if not at the very least it suggests a permanent fix isn't too far off. And even if you're not comfortable running pre-release firmware and can't wait even a little while to use a superior router, there's also a confirmed workaround of simply setting your 2.4 GHz radio to Legacy mode. Of course that means you'll only get N speeds on 5 GHz, but unless you're doing lots of file sharing on your internal network, the throughput hit probably won't be terribly noticeable, and once the firmware with this fix is officially released, you can switch your 2.4 GHz back.

Last edited:
The other ASUS routers probably won't have the same range as the N66U (or throughput at a given range). But did you bother to actually read this thread before jumping straight to the end to write off.

Not to get into a "tit for tat" with you but yes I did read the entire post and yes I'm not comfortable with doing my own work-around especially after spending $180.00 for a quality item. And as you stated in your own post "at the very least it suggests a permanent fix isn't too far off" Going on a suggestion or intentions usually never work out for me.

Now I only have about two weeks left on my Amazon 30 day return so I'm asking if the routers listed in my OP are just as good for my situation.
AND the one xbox that was not hardwired (the one I originally bought this router for) is now hardwired because of the issues I had with this Asus router.

Joe :)

Last edited:
Not to get into a "tit for tat" with you but yes I did read the entire post and yes I'm not comfortable with doing my own work-around especially after spending $180.00 for a quality item. And as you stated in your own post "at the very least it suggests a permanent fix isn't too far off" Going on a suggestion or intentions usually never work out for me.

Now I only have about two weeks left on my Amazon 30 day return so I'm asking if the routers listed in my OP are just as good for my situation.
AND the one xbox that was not hardwired (the one I originally bought this router for) is now hardwired because of the issues I had with this Asus router.

Joe :)

Ok, well my answer stands. Based on your equipment, you probably don't need the added THROUGHPUT of the N66U, but you would likely benefit from the added RANGE, which the others won't have. And since the equipment you're connecting via Wifi doesn't really need the added throughput of N over G, I don't see why you're seriously contemplating going through a whole return and purchasing an inferior product when you can just make one quick -- and temporary -- settings change that will solve your problem without introducing any limitations that will affect you. Or just update to the pre-release firmware, seeing as you can always revert back.

I understand your concern about waiting for fixes that may or may not come, but given that a) the affected product is hugely popular, b) ASUS is aware of the issue and has promised a fix, c) there's already a pre-release firmware that HAS said fix incorporated and is confirmed to resolve the issue, and d) at least one ASUS engineer is watching this thread, your skepticism that a fix will be forthcoming seems unwarranted in this case. And again, the temporary workaround will let you have a better router long-term, and the downside of said workaround is going to be irrelevant based on your devices.

You can stand on principle saying that you shouldn't have to put up with a workaround even temporarily when you're buying a top-dollar router, and I'd be inclined to agree, but this is technology and there are bugs, even in expensive products. And in this case, letting principle trump practicality (i.e. using one of two available and easy workarounds and being slightly patient for a full fix) will just land you an inferior product.

You said you've got 2 weeks left to take advantage of the return. Just put your 2.4 GHz radio into Legacy and/or try the new firmware for a week, then decide. What have you got to lose?

Last edited:
When is that fix coming? I'm getting slaughtered online! Playing the new gears of war buts its more like TEARS of war from all the lag

:(

When is that fix coming? I'm getting slaughtered online! Playing the new gears of war buts its more like TEARS of war from all the lag

:(

Most likely the next firmware update. But to be fair, you should have more than enough bandwidth even with the limited connection.
You should check other issues as well.

The newest RT-N66u firmware (ASUS RT-N66U Firmware version 3.0.0.5.354) that was released today has the following in the changelog :

Optimize for XBOX option in Advanced Setting-->Wireless-->General. Enable this function can stabilize streaming speed.

Most likely the next firmware update. But to be fair, you should have more than enough bandwidth even with the limited connection.
The new official firmware is out today for the RT-N66U. But there has been a beta out to fix this issue for a while now. Either way, you can download the official firmware from the asus site now, and after loading the new firmware up, just go to the wireless page, and check the "Optimized for Xbox" box next to wireless mode. This is an option on both band's(2.4ghz, and 5ghz), depending on which one you are using to connect the xbox to.

Thanks for the heads up. Hoping this new release will fix my 5GHz network dropping. It's been happening much less on 3.0.0.4.352, but was still there.

Nice, I didn't realize they had released a firmware update when I posted. Thanks for the info. As soon as Merlin releases his build, I'll finally be able to unsubscribe for this thread.

Can't wait!:D

I'm so stoked to give the new firmware a try. Thanks for keeping this thread alive guys. Hopefully this will put the streaming issue to rest :)

The new official firmware is out today for the RT-N66U. But there has been a beta out to fix this issue for a while now. Either way, you can download the official firmware from the asus site now, and after loading the new firmware up, just go to the wireless page, and check the "Optimized for Xbox" box next to wireless mode. This is an option on both band's(2.4ghz, and 5ghz), depending on which one you are using to connect the xbox to.

So it's great that it's baked into official firmware, but the fact that it's still a checkbox rather than an always-on change really makes me wonder if the fix involves some sort of tradeoff elsewhere. ASUS, it would be great if you could provide some technical details about this fix for those of us who are interested in such things here.

So it's great that it's baked into official firmware, but the fact that it's still a checkbox rather than an always-on change really makes me wonder if the fix involves some sort of tradeoff elsewhere. ASUS, it would be great if you could provide some technical details about this fix for those of us who are interested in such things here.

Yeah, it's true it seems like there would be a trade-off considering how the fix is activated. I ran the beta firmware for over a week with many different kinds of wireless and wired devices. I never noticed anything out of the ordinary. I run my router pretty hard. I guess we'll see once it's more widespread, but for now I'm okay with a toggle box.

Maybe Merlin can shed some light on it once he gets a hold of the source code.

Is the issue only with speed or is it not with latency as well? Input anyone?

Here are my settings and I would like to think that they are "optimal" from a latency reduction p.o.v ...

11j3epg.png

o01no.png

Running latest merlin.

Router is about 3m (9ft) away from the xbox with only a wooden door disturbing the signal.

Only two devices use the 2.4ghz network, the xbox and my phone.

Is the issue only with speed or is it not with latency as well? Input anyone?

Here are my settings and I would like to think that they are "optimal" from a latency reduction p.o.v ...

Running latest merlin.

Router is about 3m (9ft) away from the xbox with only a wooden door disturbing the signal.

Only two devices use the 2.4ghz network, the xbox and my phone.

First and foremost, not only are you not using the beta firmware that fixed the issue this thread pertains to, you are now NOT using the latest official firmware which corrects the issue.

Secondly, your settings for the Xbox are not optimal. That is unless of course you purchased the seperate WIFI adapter for the Xbox, in which case your problem doesn't apply to this thread at all.

Now if you choose to continue using the outdated firmware, optimally, your 2.4 GHz network will have to be set to "Legacy" being that the Xbox 360 needs to connect via 802.11g instead of 802.11n to function properly.

With all of that said, gaming onling doesn't use much bandwidth to begin with, and this problem is more or less irrelevant to any latency (lag) issues.

So if you're having latency issues, assuming you're not attempting to download something on another device while playing, you probably have another problem.

I'd still update to the latest firmware to be certain, but you likely have an issue unrelated to this problem.

And I know this sounds odd... but have you tried moving the router FARTHER away from the Xbox? At that distance the devices could very well be causing interference for each other. Although typically such a problem only arises when devices are less than 3 feet or so away from each other. Lowering your transmit power could also actually help if you have no devices that are exceedingly far away.

Last edited:
Well it seems my DHCP manual assignment theory about breaking my WAN was a red herring, so I've deleted that post. After sparring with my router this afternoon, it turned out that I never had WAN connectivity at all when flashing to the new firmware -- though I also fixed it. After performing factory default resets through the Web interface, NVRAM clears with the WPS button, and even a rescue mode firmware recovery, it turned out that for whatever reason, after flashing the new firmware my Windows 7 machine's default route (the router's IP) wasn't routing. Maybe it's because I also use Hamachi, but the fix was to configure myself a static IP and default gateway, at which point I had WAN connectivity. I then went back through and made all of my config changes, rebooted the router, the cable modem, and my machine, and all is well again using DHCP. Phew! Sorry for the false alarm.

In terms of the Xbox setting, I noticed immediately upon updating my firmware that AirPlay streaming from my iPhone to my Ethernet-connected receiver stuttered very frequently, even when only playing audio. Granted I hadn't used AirPlay much before updating since this receiver is also new to me, but after enabling the Xbox setting, everything seems to be well on that front. Maybe this setting should be called "Optimized for streaming media"? I'll be very curious to see what Merlin can tell us about the effect of that setting.

And incidentally I've also noticed that inSSIDer no longer shows hugely erratic dBm readings for this router's 2.4 GHz radio; it's now almost completely flat -- and of course very high. :D

Last edited:
This is an option on both band's(2.4ghz, and 5ghz), depending on which one you are using to connect the xbox to.

Sorry, new dual band router user here with a dumb question. I've set my router to use the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 with an understanding that the connected devices will pick the 5 if able (within range). Is this true, or do I need to set my SSID different and select the 5ghz for my XBOX, and 2.4ghz for other legacy devices?

Sorry, new dual band router user here with a dumb question. I've set my router to use the same SSID for both 2.4 and 5 with an understanding that the connected devices will pick the 5 if able (within range). Is this true, or do I need to set my SSID different and select the 5ghz for my XBOX, and 2.4ghz for other legacy devices?

Most clients are smart enough to use the ideal band based on real-world available performance as determined by interference, distance, and maximum theoretical bandwidth, in which case same SSID is fine as long as they have the same authentication scheme and password as well. For dumber clients or if you find that you just like being able to dictate and easily be able to tell which band clients are using, you can go with separate SSIDs -- in fact some Netgear routers force that, which I find odd.

On Windows machines, many Wifi drivers have an Advanced tab in their Device Manager properties that lets you set band preferences as well as enable fat channels, etc, so you may want to peruse that too.

Last edited: