What's new

Xbox360 wireless connection problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This thread must live until there is justice!

Don't worry, we should actually see an updated firmware soon with the new wireless driver that's suppose to fix the issue. Probably not the next firmware, but I'm willing the bet the one after is very possible.

TLDR:

The 360 is negotiating the WRONG Link Rate. It seems it doesn't only effect Broadcom drivers, but Atheros as well.

Go to http://192.168.1.1/tools-shell.asp and type "wl rate 54", and watch your download speed on N increase to about 2MB/s (this is only temporary and will eventually reset).

We need a petition for Microsoft to verify the 360 Slim's wireless drivers aren't messed up. Microsoft does't listen unless enough people complain.

------------------------------------------------------

Long Version:

I think you guys are wrong. While N wireless on the RT-N66U only connects at 5.5Mbps, I don't think this problem is because of bad Broadcom drivers.

My 2012 AirPort Express does almost exactly the same thing (see box below), just instead of connecting at 5.5Mbps it connects at 11Mbps. Now I know your thinking thats swell (sarcasm) but based on the teardown of the 2012 AE it is Atheros based, not Broadcom like our RT-N66U's.

So now we have more than one chipset having trouble. I really think this is a problem Microsoft has to fix. :mad: And they won't unless enough people complain.

360 downloading while connected to AirPort Express:
What your looking at here with the AirPort Express is the link speed while connected to N is 11Mbps limiting downloads to about 800KB/s. Yet when forced to B/G the link speed is 54Mbps letting the download go much quicker (1.5MB/s).

---

In comparison the RT-N66U link speed while connected to N only manages 5.5Mbps and about 400KB/s. And with the RT-N66U set to G it manages a 54Mbps link and about 2MB/s downloads.

P.S. This is the second time I've had bad experiences with Marvell wireless chipsets. The first was the Marvell chip in the PS3, it refuses to work normally without CTS Protection on (even though every other device I have does).

Last edited:
Looks like Microsoft has guides for a small bunch of wireless routers. - http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/networking-hardware/02-routers/default.aspx

Every guide has you change the wireless mode to G ONLY. WTF.

I don't know if this means Microsoft knows about the wireless N problems, or if the person writing the guides is just stupid. :confused:

Isn't there a certification process to be able to say your product supports 802.11n? Surely Microsoft couldn't have passed it.

Last edited:
I have two questions. I want to buy this router as a replacement for an apple time capsule I am using currently. Will I have any problems connecting two xboxs, one slim the other an old white model, to the router via a wired connection. I saw people mentioning that you may need cat5e or cat6 so I want to be sure as one of the Ethernet cords is a cat5 the other is a 5e. The next question is will the NAT be open for both consoles or will I have to use port forwarding, dmz, etc.

Cat5 is only rated for up to 100 Mbits. Since the router has gigabit ports (and devices will gradually also switch to gigabit), you will have to replace that cable to ensure a stable connection.

..The next question is will the NAT be open for both consoles or will I have to use port forwarding, dmz, etc.

You could manually open the ports or DMZ the entire 360 but why? The 360 uses UPnP to automatically open ports. All you have to do is find the "Enable UPnP" option in the routers settings, check it and your done.

As for the 360 Slim wireless card, I've given up. Dusting off my RT-N16 and setting it up as a Access Point. :(

You could manually open the ports or DMZ the entire 360 but why? The 360 uses UPnP to automatically open ports. All you have to do is find the "Enable UPnP" option in the routers settings, check it and your done.

This is bad advice. Yes it's easier, but so is setting up unprotected Wifi; that doesn't make it the best choice. UPnP allows any device inside your network to open any port forwarding rules they desire, so if any nasty device or malware gets into your network, the compromise can immediately be made far worse. And that doesn't even take into account the UPnP flaws that have been found in some routers where UPnP is enabled on the OUTSIDE interface, meaning anyone on the Internet can open up any port forwarding rules they want onto your network. That doesn't seem to affect ASUS, but it's yet another reason not to use UPnP.

Port forwarding isn't difficult to set up, so just give your Xbox 360 a static IP (or a static DHCP reservation) and set up the required rules per Microsoft's documentation.

Not accounting for flaws in UPnP, I trust every device on my LAN. Not only that every but PC I have runs its own secondary firewall.

If there is a device that has malware on my network I've got more problems that some open ports.

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying if your careful you'll be fine (provided you don't have one of the firmware's with UPnP flaws :p).

Not accounting for flaws in UPnP, I trust every device on my LAN. Not only that every but PC I have runs its own secondary firewall.

If there is a device that has malware on my network I've got more problems that some open ports.

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just saying if your careful you'll be fine (provided you don't have one of the firmware's with UPnP flaws :p).

While I totally grant that if you've got malware in one of your LAN devices you've got a larger problem on your hands, I disagree that this "excuses" the decision to use UPnP. In an infection scenario, having UPnP enabled just makes it possible for an already bad problem to become even worse. Having software firewalls, AV, and malware scanners is all well and good, but as has been proven time and again, they're not totally reliable when it comes to catching zero-day vulnerabilities. And I know a balance has to be struck between security and convenience/usability, but given that it only takes a few minutes to achieve the required functionality with far more security, I'm sorry but I don't see the justification for using UPnP instead.

It's always more prudent to have some overlap in your security measures than assume that having one security measure in place obviates the need for another one.

Last edited:
To each his own with security. But can we keep this thread on topic please. Subscribing to a thread and getting an email only to see a debate about upnp is not cool.

Another Router with the same problem? - http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=50107.0

Anyone have an xbox 360 slim connected via the internal wireless card? For some reason mine only gets 11Mbps.

..I have a DLINK DIR-827 capable of 300Mbps on both the 2.4 and 5 Ghz spectrum. It reports actual Mbps connection rate and signal strength through it's browser interface. It shows 11 Mbps and 96% on the 2.4 Ghz band for the xbox internal card...

..I've tried open security, changing channels and moving the xbox 2 feet away from the router...

I don't have patience to read through the thread as I've already "fixed" :rolleyes: the problem by hooking up a spare RT-N16, but it seems like the same crap that's happening with the RT-N66U and 2012 AirPort Express.

Just an update for everyone. Jeremy sent me a message earlier today asking for my email address. He's got a firmware with the new driver he wants me to test out. I'm still waiting to hear back from him. But I'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes!

I would just like to let everyone know that I finally received the firmware from Jeremy about an hour ago. He also sent me instructions on what I needed to do. He ask me not to share the firmware for now as testing is limited to as few people as possible in case of adverse effects.

In the Wireless tab they've added a new check box called "optimize xbox" right next to "b/g protection". After loading up the firmware, turning on that setting and rebooting both the router and xbox, I can gladly say that so far everything is working great. The xbox now connects at it's full wireless speed and I'm able to stream HD content at a nice 3.5 to 4 MegaBytes per sec.

My router has to penetrate 3 walls and is located on the opposite side of the house from where the Xbox is. I'd say with security overhead and location, I'm super pleased at the results.

I can't wait until we can get this on live firmware with Merlins touch added to it. On a side note, the firmware also has a bunch of other small touches added to it, so we can look forward to more than just the xbox fix added.

...Starts singing "The pointer sisters - I'm so excited" :)

Last edited:
>_< The anticipation is killing me and it has only been 30 seconds. This is gonna be rough.

Maybe you should sweet talk him into getting it to Merlin early so we can you know... beta test :)

>_< The anticipation is killing me and it has only been 30 seconds. This is gonna be rough.

Maybe you should sweet talk him into getting it to Merlin early so we can you know... beta test :)

I know what you're saying. He sent me another message a little while ago. He wants me to keep running it and message him in about a weeks time to let him know how it's holding up.

Someone is constantly streaming something over the network or from netflix to the xbox in the living room. So far everything seems solid. I haven't had a whole lot of time to check every page in the new firmware but I don't think we'll have to wait to long for a new firmware release.

In the Wireless tab they've added a new check box called "optimize xbox" right next to "b/g protection".

Am I the only one who finds it disconcerting that they added a "optimize xbox" tick box instead of just fixing and re-compiling a supposedly faulty wireless driver?

I really hope this isn't a hack and instead they worked with Broadcom to fix the driver code if that was the problem.

Although if the problem was a bad WiFi implementation on the Xbox itself, then Asus should have contacted Microsoft with the information they found.