What's new

Xbox360 wireless connection problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I contacted Asus Support about this problem a couple days ago. They got back to me and said the fix would be in the next firmware update.

No indication as to when it might be available. So, take that for what it's worth....

In any case, I do believe that if enough people contact them about this issue it will eventually get resolved. If you haven't yet contacted Asus Support about this, please do so!

If you e-mailed them, you should post a screenshot of their response (with personal details omitted, of course). It'd at least be something to hold against Asus if the next firmware update doesn't solve it.

If you e-mailed them, you should post a screenshot of their response (with personal details omitted, of course). It'd at least be something to hold against Asus if the next firmware update doesn't solve it.

Hi Everybody,

We are working on the fix and it should come in a firmware update that includes an update to the wireless drivers. Please note that this DOES NOT mean that it will be the NEXT firmware update. When the driver update is confirmed to be stable and solve the problem, it will be released. In the meantime, there may still be minor firmware updates that do not have the updated drivers included.

Hopefully a recent beta version of firmware we received from HQ will fix the problem, but the team here still needs to do testing to make sure it doesn't bring up more issues.

Hi Everybody,

We are working on the fix and it should come in a firmware update that includes an update to the wireless drivers. Please note that this DOES NOT mean that it will be the NEXT firmware update. When the driver update is confirmed to be stable and solve the problem, it will be released. In the meantime, there may still be minor firmware updates that do not have the updated drivers included.

Hopefully a recent beta version of firmware we received from HQ will fix the problem, but the team here still needs to do testing to make sure it doesn't bring up more issues.

I don't want this to target you specifically, Jeremy - but why would the support team give assurances that the next firmware update will contain the fix if it's not even confirmed yet when the fix will arrive?

Hi Everybody,

Well thanks Jeremy. It kinda sucks having to wait as long as we have. But to be honest, I just wanted to know that Asus actually intended on fixing it in the first place. There hasn't been any kind of information letting us know. It just felt like you guys knew about it but never intended on fixing it since we may of been a minority issue. But now that I know you guys have a fix in the works. I'mma happy camper! :D

I don't know if this is the case with this particular issue, but keep in mind that the original driver code is developed by Broadcom, not Asus. Therefore it's possible that Asus might be waiting on Broadcom as well.

I don't want this to target you specifically, Jeremy - but why would the support team give assurances that the next firmware update will contain the fix if it's not even confirmed yet when the fix will arrive?

Well that would be a easy one to explain... First level of support often are the less knowledgable people (doesn't necessarily mean that they are incompetent though) and therefore they may say stuff that are not exactly true.

Some news

I have asked my ASUS factory contact about this situation. After some back and forth, I have this to report:

Q: Is the problem with the ASUS router, Xbox or both?
A: "I believe it to be on the end of the router, likely with the driver, since other models using the same [Broadcom BCM4331] 2.4GHz radio look to also exhibit the performance."

Q: Is there a fix or not?
A: "It is a high priority and we are testing some possible solutions as well as actively tracking down the issue with Broadcom. Unfortunately I'm unable to specify a timeframe on the resolution other than we are pushing to resolve it as quickly as possible."

My contact also offered this:
"Just as an added piece of information, and I stress that it's certainly not a solution and only a temporary workaround that some may be interested in while we get this issue resolved, enabling G Mode in the Advanced Wireless settings looks to alleviate the downlink bandwidth issues between the router and the adapter."

My contact also offered this:
"Just as an added piece of information, and I stress that it's certainly not a solution and only a temporary workaround that some may be interested in while we get this issue resolved, enabling G Mode in the Advanced Wireless settings looks to alleviate the downlink bandwidth issues between the router and the adapter."

You know, after everything I've tried and how many months have went by, I don't believe I've ever actually tried that. I may test this later and see how it works out. I do have a lot of N devices, but none of them are high bandwidth devices. This is actually an option for me but I don't think it will be for most other people.

Unlike me, I'm sure a lot of other people have high bandwidth wireless devices and wouldn't want to cripple the speed of their entire wireless network just to work around the Xbox 360 slim issue.

Either way, thanks for sharing and I look forward to trying that out this afternoon. Will leave feedback if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Update: It does indeed work. Which now you can tell it's a very obvious Asus problem and not a Microsoft one. Well specifically a broadcom driver issue. The Xbox slim now has a stable wireless G connection to the RT-N66U. While it is capped at wireless G, I don't have any problems leaving it like that. All the wireless N devices I own are handheld and mobile devices that don't connect any higher than 72 Mbps. They don't need high bandwidth anyways. So I'm content with this until we get a driver update or I get a network adapter for one of my desktop pc's that requires wireless N.

Last edited:
Does the setting specifically set G only? What was the default? A screenshot would be helpful. Thanks for doing the test.

Does the setting specifically set G only? What was the default? A screenshot would be helpful. Thanks for doing the test.

This what you wanted?

As a side note, I'm seeing something strange. The connection is showing the uplink at 72mbps but the downlink at 54 mbps. Even though it's in wireless G mode, it's still showing that N connection for uplink. Nothing is being affected though and speed seems pretty solid and stable. No way to actually test if the xbox is indeed getting that 72 mbps or not. The xbox can't exactly run an upload test that I know of. Doesn't matter eithery way to me.

Oh sorry, The default is set to AUTO. Completely forgot to answer your question lol.

Attachments

• G.jpg
    G.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 563
Thanks. So to be clear, you changed Wireless Mode from Auto to Legacy.
Was b/g protection checked before or did you change that, too?

Thanks. So to be clear, you changed Wireless Mode from Auto to Legacy.
Was b/g protection checked before or did you change that, too?

Yes, auto to legacy. Legacy is for B/G wireless connections. B/G protection is to ensure the router listens long enough for slower protocols from what another poster said. Just leave it ticked if you have any slow devices that use wireless B.

Last edited:
At last we have something to chew on until the problem is resolved.

UPDATE: With firmware RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_260 but not RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_321 (that one doesn't have the b/g protection check box)

Last edited:
B/G protection is both present in .260 & .321 @2.4GHz. I think ticking b/g protection in "Legacy" mode will have no effect if my interpretation is correct.

From .321

Attachments

• bg protection.jpg
    bg protection.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
You proved me wrong. I guess I must have missed it... I'll reinstall 321 then

Last edited:
Fyi, firmware 3.0.0.4.270 was just released today. Still no changelog posted, but you can find it on the ASUS USA site. Haven't had a chance to flash it in and see whether it resolves my BDP-93 issue, but people with Xbox 360s may want to try it out and see whether they can get reliable streaming without having to fall back to Legacy mode.

Update from ASUS

ASUS just confirmed that the problem is in the Broadcom wireless driver. They will be receiving a new driver from Broadcom early February for internal testing. There is no estimate on when (or if) this driver will find its way into new ASUS firmware.

ASUS just confirmed that the problem is in the Broadcom wireless driver. They will be receiving a new driver from Broadcom early February for internal testing. There is no estimate on when (or if) this driver will find its way into new ASUS firmware.

Thanks for the update. I guesstimate we'll see that added to firmware around late April, early May. Maybe Merlin can chime in with some better accuracy. It's possible he might know about testing time with drivers. :eek:

I've finally just given up -- Kind of bummed I even purchased this router now, which is surprising because I really like it. This one issue has ruined my fondness of this router, and subsequently all things ASUS... .. I've broken down and bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QVQ7JU/?tag=snbforums-20 so I can actually play COD:Black Ops2 and not get completely annihilated..
and will be keeping an eye here on SNB for the next good router to be released. Bummer, ASUS.. I had such high hopes...

I've finally just given up -- Kind of bummed I even purchased this router now, which is surprising because I really like it. This one issue has ruined my fondness of this router, and subsequently all things ASUS... .. I've broken down and bought this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QVQ7JU/?tag=snbforums-20 so I can actually play COD:Black Ops2 and not get completely annihilated..
and will be keeping an eye here on SNB for the next good router to be released. Bummer, ASUS.. I had such high hopes...

so youre saying the router is the reason youre getting destroyed on blops2? I used this router for mw3 and it worked pretty good. but on blops2 it has never worked good! maybe 1 in 100 games...