What's new

Release XT8 New Firmware 3.0.0.4.386_25790

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you having issues with a fw and upgrade I think it's a good idea to reset after upgrade. But otherwise I totally agree, I don't reset the computer everytime after updating windows so there is no point in resetting the router everytime either.
Right, if you are having problems then sure it’s a step you can take. But if it’s a requirement every time you update the firmware...pfft...I’ll find another vendor.

Honestly that should not be required and if it is it’s nonsense. I have custom names and icons for all my devices in addition to lots of devices with manual IP assignments. If I have to recreate all that every time Asus updates the firmware just so it works correctly I’ll ditch Asus and find something else.

I believe you can make a backup file of your settings so you don’t have to do it all over again after a reset.

Honestly that should not be required and if it is it’s nonsense. I have custom names and icons for all my devices in addition to lots of devices with manual IP assignments. If I have to recreate all that every time Asus updates the firmware just so it works correctly I’ll ditch Asus and find something else.
Amen to that. I have tons of manual assignments and that has been my biggest issue. I was able to do about 34 with no major issue and haven't been able to add any since. They claim support up to 64, but not my experience. Even worse, I can no longer delete them either. So, I assume I am going to have to start from scratch some day soon :-(

I believe you can make a backup file of your settings so you don’t have to do it all over again after a reset.
Sure, you can backup all your settings. If the requirement is just reset, load the new firmware, and then restore your settings...no problem. That is not what was described....

Sure, you can backup all your settings. If the requirement is just reset, load the new firmware, and then restore your settings...no problem. That is not what was described....

i think you’re complaining about doing a factory reset every time you update a firmware correct?

i think you’re complaining about doing a factory reset every time you update a firmware correct?
I was responding to someones post several back that stated the following -

“Important thing after update or change firmware, Please reset first using underneath reset button. Then, set up all from fresh. Thanks.”

So I performed the firmware update to 25790. Oh my GOD what a total disaster. First, the routers wouldn't allow me to login either from the iPhone app or from the web client. Then I performed a hard reset on both nodes and it took FOUR TIMES to get them back online again. Now the web client is running slow and it absolutely will not allow me to rename any of the connected clients. I rename them and they go back to the discovered name. I have wasted two hours at this nonsense and now going to have a stiff drink.

Anyone else suffering this way with this update?

Wondering if this is a case like the Netgear Orbi that @Voxel did such a fine job refining its f/w. Maybe ASUS (XT8} firmware needs to be fine tuned just like that? Easy for me to say, I don't have the talent to do all that.

Last edited:
So I performed the firmware update to 25790. Oh my GOD what a total disaster. First, the routers wouldn't allow me to login either from the iPhone app or from the web client. Then I performed a hard reset on both nodes and it took FOUR TIMES to get them back online again. Now the web client is running slow and it absolutely will not allow me to rename any of the connected clients. I rename them and they go back to the discovered name. I have wasted two hours at this nonsense and now going to have a stiff drink.

Haven’t had any issues like that. I updated the firmware via the router GUI around noon ET today and did a reboot. It ran perfectly fine for 5 hours then at 5PM ET all devices dropped of and it went unresponsive. Main router had solid white LED and the mesh node (I only have one) had a fast blinking blue LED. I had to unplug both XT8 devices and then plug them back in, so basically a power cycle. They have been running fine ever since, it’s now 10:22PM ET.

Wondering if this is a case like the Netgear Orbi that @Voxel did such a fine job refining its f/w. Maybe ASUS firmware needs to be fine tuned just like that? Easy for me to say, I don't have the talent to do all that.
I’m certainly hoping that is the case. I’m hoping that the XT8 hardware itself is fine and it’s just the firmware that needs to be fixed/tweaked. The question is if and when Asus will get the firmware fixed.

Reactions: Gar
Haven’t had any issues like that. I updated the firmware via the router GUI around noon ET today and did a reboot. It ran perfectly fine for 5 hours then at 5PM ET all devices dropped of and it went unresponsive. Main router had solid white LED and the mesh node (I only have one) had a fast blinking blue LED. I had to unplug both XT8 devices and then plug them back in, so basically a power cycle. They have been running fine ever since, it’s now 10:22PM ET.
I've had enough of it this evening and will have another go at it tomorrow morning, which will include a very strongly worded email to ASUS. Cleary someone at ASUS doesn't understand the concept of testing before release. I just want to back to the previous version of firmware. At least it worked. I had no issues with my iPhone 11 Pro Max using 802.11ax and was getting speeds over 810mbps. I am so sorry I performed this upgrade. Another stiff drink cometh!

I spoke too soon. Just after my post above same thing happened. All stations disconnected. Main router LED solid white with mesh node fast blinking blue. Again right around 5 hours of uptime before it craps out. Anyone know where I can get a copy of the previous firmware? At least that ran good for 3 or 4 days before it needed to be rebooted.

I spoke too soon. Just after my post above same thing happened. All stations disconnected. Main router LED solid white with mesh node fast blinking blue. Again right around 5 hours of uptime before it craps out. Anyone know where I can get a copy of the previous firmware? At least that ran good for 3 or 4 days before it needed to be rebooted.
Never mind...I found it.

I reverted back to the previous FW level. I'll wait till they get things ironed out...

So I had these issues when the firmware first installed. It apparently failed on one of the nodes then it wouldn't connect and started acting all weird. I ended up factory resetting multiple times like you. Finally I setup up each node individually to make sure they were both updated to the latest firmware. Then I did another factory reset setting up one router, then connected the second node after the first node was up and running. It worked then started acting weird...the node would be white but the router would go solid green. I rebooted and everything finally came online. Been online since. My wifi speeds are more consistent and it has been stable so far with none of my devices getting randomly kicked off. So far so good but setup was a complete PITA.

Sorry to see people having problems. I upgraded mine yesterday (and have NOT done a reset) and it's been working perfectly since the upgrade. Just FYI.

And BTW, I don't buy into the logic that a reset is necessary. Yes, when upgrading firmware if the data structures/mappings etc have changed then it's needed, but the manufacturer would know if that's the case and would flag a reset as being required. They are not.

I've personally not had any issues since setting a nightly reboot schedule. Just updated to this latest firmware and everything went smoothly no problems so far, I'm going to test removing the reboot schedule and seeing if it can run error free with this new firmware. I'll report back.

After my two XT8's went unresponsive twice at approximately 5 hour intervals yesterday after updating the FW I reverted back to the previous FW version (3.0.0.4.386_25524) and it has been running fine since, over 9 hours now. I'll run it for a day or two to make sure it's back to the way it was and then try the new FW again at some point. This should not be this hard.

My XT8 running fine without any issues like either webui not responsive or node not connected on latest firmware for more than 15 hours. Before 15 hours, I already used it for 4 hours before I decided to restart both router and node to see their stability. I suggested to use reset button because I don't want any previous problem stay at newly installed firmware and in the same time, the nvram being totally cleared.

I updated to this firmware and my mesh node never finished or connected. I’ve reinstalled firmware on the mesh and tried to re-add but it always fails. All suggestions are appreciated.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!