What's new

10G Router recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wrecker

New Around Here
Upgrading my home network and needed some recommendations from gurus here.

Two things are driving the change:
1. Internet speed finally switching to 1Gbps (hopefully a little more than that)
2. Need fast access from Macbook to NAS for 4k video editing

Currently my WiFi AP is performing the router duties. Current NAS is a four year old Synology Diskstation that needs to be upgraded.

I'm very comfortable with networking, so not worried about CLI, Linux access. I also need Class B support, since I run more than 254 devices - mostly Wireless.
The equipment needs to sit in a rack near my work area, so I'd prefer if it's either passive cooling / I can replace fans.

Looking for a reasonable budget < $500, but can stretch it to $1.5k if required.

Thinking of:
- Mikrotik CRS309
- Ubiquity XG router seems sold out

I'm not interested in rack-mount BYOD solution - would want something that I can set up once, and maintain it infrequently. I don't mind learning curve, etc.

Also need any recommendations on NAS - looking for non-rack mount options here (to keep noise down) and placing it on a shelf in the rack. I only run RAID6, have had experience of 2 drives failing before at the same time. Some interesting options I am thinking of are:
- Synology DS1819+
- Synology FlashStation
- QNAP with Thunderbolt and 10Gb

A rudimentary network diagram below:
upload_2019-7-24_16-27-24.png

Thanks

I think you may be better off using a 10G switch with a 1G router. And to get any real benefit out of the 10G you are going to need to use wire or fiber not wireless. If you are looking for the little extra internet speed of 1G spanned ports then you are very limited on routers and modems.

Is there a router available with 4 x 10Gb LAN ports and 2 x 1Gb ports (Aggregated to 2Gb for WAN). I’m trying to future-proof.

I’ll end up with 2 10Gb devices already so using the Nighthawk will prevent adding a 3rd 10Gb device in the future.

I like the DLink switch recommendation but then I’d end up with 2 separate devices. A router and a switch.

Any reason to avoid Mikrotik or a used Aruba / Juniper router?

As indicated above, you should be looking at switches, vs. a 10 Gb router. If it's not clear why you should be using a switch, in conjunction with a router, you need to re-visit L2 / L3 networking concepts.

I would personally look at a router with at least one port that is > 1Gb plus a switch with as many > 1Gb ports as you think you may need.

I agree with coxhaus here. Your Internet connection is only 1G so no need to spend on a router that has 10G capabilities. Go with a 10Gbps switch to keep all of your internal flows on there. Finding a router that can actually route at 10Gbps won't be easy nor cheap. Keep your 10Gbps stuff at the switch, this allows you to freely swap out the router over time as your ISP speeds increase and technology improves. That is the best way to future proof.

I agree with coxhaus here. Your Internet connection is only 1G so no need to spend on a router that has 10G capabilities. Go with a 10Gbps switch to keep all of your internal flows on there. Finding a router that can actually route at 10Gbps won't be easy nor cheap. Keep your 10Gbps stuff at the switch, this allows you to freely swap out the router over time as your ISP speeds increase and technology improves. That is the best way to future proof.

Makes perfect sense - well said.

So DLink for the 10G switch sounds great.

Any rack mountable router recommendation that supports 2 x 1Gb WAN and 2 x 1Gb LAN.

Especially when moving tens of Gb of local traffic across interfaces, you want to handle that with a local fabric on dedicated hardware (ie. a switch), and leave the router to do the heavy lifting of what it does best: wide-area NAT and transport.

That being said, you're primary choice for switching is using a 1Gb fabric (1GB access ports) with 10GB uplinks (like that D-Link, although I would go Cisco SG or HPE well before choosing D-Link), or full 10Gb in something like a low-density aggregation switch (10GB access ports + 10Gb+ uplinks). I personally don't like putting endpoint devices onto uplink ports, so if the budget was there, I'd go the 10Gb aggregation route. If L2 web-managed was good enough, the HPE 1850 6XGT 2XGT/SFP+ (JL169A) for $650 street price would be a great buy. For more ports and/or L3 Lite, a Cisco SG350XG-2F10 or HPE 1950 12XGT 4SFP+ (JH295A) would both be around $1,100-$1,200.

Either way you go, I would stick to brands of higher pedigree in the space, and avoid the likes of D-Link, TP-Link, even Netgear. In addition to Cisco and HPE (Aruba), you could also look at Juniper, Brocade ICX (now Ruckus), Extreme or Allied Telesis, but given their pricing you'd likely be relegated to refurb and/or working-pull on eBay.

Best of luck with the project!