What's new

Router/Access Point recommendation to replace ISP rental

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wyoming_cody

New Around Here
Moved into a new home and need recommendation for router/access point equipment.
  • 2,500 sqft floor plan (see below), also have basement that will need wifi access
  • ethernet ports shown as red stars, limited access to ceilings due to vaulted ceilings (ceiling mounted APs not an option)
  • 30-40 total devices, heavy use in great room, sitting (office) room and smart space; wife and I working (concurrent webex/zoom video streaming)
  • currently have 300Mbps FIOS; G3100 router located in great room
Goals:
  • Replace VZ G3100 rental to eliminate monthly charges; G3100 coverage is OK, sitting area speed drops down to 200Mb
  • Future proof as much as reasonable, desire growth capacity to add surveillance cameras/doorbell
  • Prefer not to run any more cable initially, need to work with existing wired ports.
  • Stability and reliability are essential since we're both working and work requires solid networking
Current thoughts:
  • Ubiquity: has good growth capabilities, but not sure I want/need this level of complexity, and most APs are ceiling mounted which is not an option for us
  • Eero 6: they seem to still be working out the kinks in the new wifi 6 units, with our work we can't afford to have network disruptions, and don't like the subscription model for certain capabilities
  • Synology RT-2600ac: provides reasonable control (QoS, intrusion protection, etc.) and similar UI to my Synology NAS, which I like. I have coverage concerns, not sure if MR unit would be needed
Really interested in recommendations from the experts in this forum.
Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 1.27.38 PM.png

Last edited:
Moved into a new home and need recommendation for router/access point equipment.
  • 2,500 sqft floor plan (see below), also have basement that will need wifi access
  • ethernet ports shown as red stars, limited access to ceilings due to vaulted ceilings (ceiling mounted APs not an option)
  • 30-40 total devices, heavy use in great room, sitting (office) room and smart space; wife and I working (concurrent webex/zoom video streaming)
  • currently have 300Mbps FIOS; G3100 router located in great room
Goals:
  • Replace VZ G3100 rental to eliminate monthly charges; G3100 coverage is OK, sitting area speed drops down to 200Mb
  • Future proof as much as reasonable, desire growth capacity to add surveillance cameras/doorbell
  • Prefer not to run any more cable initially, need to work with existing wired ports.
  • Stability and reliability are essential since we're both working and work requires solid networking
Current thoughts:
  • Ubiquity: has good growth capabilities, but seems a bit over-priced and not sure I want/need this level of complexity, and most APs are ceiling mounted which is not an option for us
  • Eero 6: they seem to still be working out the kinks in the new wifi 6 units, with our work we can't afford to have network disruptions, and don't like the subscription model for certain capabilities
  • Synology RT-2600ac: provides reasonable control (QoS, intrusion protection, etc.) and similar UI to my Synology NAS, which I like. I have coverage concerns, not sure if MR unit would be needed
Really interested in recommendations from the experts in this forum.
View attachment 28365

Is the main level 2500 sq ft?

Where is the ISP connection located?

Where do the Ethernet ports/connections route to?

Are there any Ethernet connections in the basement?

I'm no expert. :)

OE

OE, good questions... let me clarify... see below.

Is the main level 2500 sq ft? Correct, the main floor is 2500 sqft. Basement has same footprint, but is unfinished and has less need for wifi as mostly shop space.

Where is the ISP connection located?
Fios ONT has ethernet running from ONT to a central location in basement. Two ethernet wires run to the great room (at top of floor plan), with intent for one to feed AIO router/AP and the second returning to a switch in basement connecting to other ethernet ports.

Where do the Ethernet ports/connections route to?
All wiring runs to an equipment shelf centralized in basement.

Are there any Ethernet connections in the basement?
Ethernet ports all terminate in basement at an equipment shelf.

OE, good questions... let me clarify... see below.

Is the main level 2500 sq ft? Correct, the main floor is 2500 sqft. Basement has same footprint, but is unfinished and has less need for wifi as mostly shop space.

Where is the ISP connection located? Fios ONT has ethernet running from ONT to a central location in basement. Two ethernet wires run to the great room (at top of floor plan), with intent for one to feed AIO router/AP and the second returning to a switch in basement connecting to other ethernet ports.

Where do the Ethernet ports/connections route to? All wiring runs to an equipment shelf centralized in basement.

Are there any Ethernet connections in the basement? Ethernet ports all terminate in basement at an equipment shelf.

Well, that's all just ducky! Congrats on your new home.

You just need to determine class of equipment/how much you want to spend and what to buy. :)

Me, I'd be satisfied with a 2-node Asus dual-band wired AiMesh spread out on the main level with a switch in the basement, for now. With the router/root node in the Great Room, you may only need to enable guest WLANs on it to serve guests, inside and out.

I would not be satisfied with any of the more expensive/rigid consumer mesh systems, particularly the ones from Big Data that require a cloud account.

Someone else here with more pro experience will have to suggest higher class solutions.

OE

Thanks for response OE.

I too have been thinking a 2-node configuration may be a good starting point for our network. I'm not very familiar with Asus equipment line-up, so will need to do some research on potential units.

I also agree a setup requiring subscription and/or cloud account is not desirable.

@Trip would value your thoughts on Unifi solution for this setup. I've come to realize Unifi has different form factors for APs that don't require ceiling mount and wondering if the FlexHD and/or in-wall units could provide a nice solution. A solution based on a UDM in the great room with AP covering rest of the house is also of interest.

Suggestions from all welcomed.

Last edited: