What's new

11n Adapters for Notebook

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loyukfai

Regular Contributor
I'm thinking whether to upgrade my 2 notebooks, one with an Intel 2200BG (Mini PCI), and the other with an Intel 4965AG (Mini PCIe), to 11n solutions.

For the one with 2200BG, I've set sight on the Atheros AR5008, AR9160 and AR9220.

For the one with 4965AG, my targets are the Intel 5100 and 5300.

The AR5008 seems to be an elder solution so if possible, I will pick the AR9160 or AR9220. As with the Intel 5100 and 5300, one of the major differences between them seem to be that, one is a 2x2 part and the other is a 3x3 part. Am I correct?

Since both notebooks have only 2 antennas, I suppose I should get the ones with 2x2 as there will be no benefit using a 3x3 part with only 2 antennas?

Note: I understand that the BIOS has to be "modded" in order to use un-official adapters.

Both the 5100 and 5300 are dual-stream PCIe adapters. The 5100 is 2x2 and the 5300 is 3x3. I use the 5300 and just don't connect the third antenna. Get the 5300 if you are at all interested in being able to achieve 450 Mbps link rate with three-stream routers when they become available (and if your notebook has three antennas).

You may or may not have to modify the BIOS. I was able to swap the 5300 in with no problems and use Intel's drivers on a Dell Mini 12.

I'm not sure if this notebook has 3 antennas built-in. The WWAN-equipped model has 4 antennas but this is not one of them.

The price between 5100 and 5300 is not that large so, I'm leaning towards getting a 5300 and possibly leaving the 3rd connector unused.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

Those 4 antennas are probably two for WLAN and two for WWAN. The antennas aren't interchangeable.

I'd go with the 5300. Make sure you get the right size.

I think so. BTW, how about the 5150/5350? Will it work with the WLAN antennas?

Although I'm not sure if WiMax is of much use.

Cheers.

No WLAN adapters will work with WWAN antennas. Antennas are designed for frequency bands and WLAN and WWAN use different bands.

BTW, do you have any idea about the Atheros solutions...? E.g. Throughput, heat, power consumption...

And where can I find a (relative) short and informative article explaning all these 2T3R, 2x2, 2x3, 3x3 terminology...?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, do you have any idea about the Atheros solutions...? E.g. Throughput, heat, power consumption...

And where can I find a (relative) short and informative article explaning all these 2T3R, 2x2, 2x3, 3x3 terminology...?

Thanks in advance.

T/R Transmit/Receive
4T4R is out there too.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!