What's new

160 MHz mini PCIe 802.11ac cards

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chris DB

Occasional Visitor
I currently have a 80 MHz SISO 802.11ac setup (laptop - AP - NAS), so 433 Mbit/s max (in reality ~ 200 Mbit/s), and I want to double it by upgrading both the router and the laptop with mini PCIe Wi-Fi 802.11ac cards that support 160 MHz wide channels.
I don't care about MIMO and MU-MIMO, since I am the only user and my laptop has only 1 antenna.

I did a bit of research, and chips that support 160 MHz are available for more than a year (link), but I can't find a single mini PCIe card that uses these chips.

Any input on the matter would be appreciated.

and I want to double it by upgrading both the router and the laptop with mini PCIe Wi-Fi 802.11ac cards that support 160 MHz wide channels.

since we dont have 160mhz routers yet you will be waiting a while

I don't care about MIMO and MU-MIMO, since I am the only user and my laptop has only 1 antenna.

its easy enough to add another antenna and just run a 2x2 867M adapter with an equivalent 867M router that would also do beamforming ( which you dont have on siso )

since we dont have 160mhz routers yet you will be waiting a while
There are 160 MHz routers (ASUS RT-AC5300, Netgear 8500, ...) Check this link from Qualcomm.

its easy enough to add another antenna and just run a 2x2 867M adapter with an equivalent 867M router that would also do beamforming ( which you dont have on siso )
What do you mean it's easy enough? I would have to take the laptop apart, and squeeze another antenna in there, and there is not much room left in there. Plus, taking the screen apart it's a mess and I would most likely ruin it.
If you refer to those 2 antenna usb adapters, I'm not really looking into that, since it's taking away some mobility, and I would hate having that hanging from the side of the laptop.

All I need are 2 mini PCIe Wi-Fi cards that support 160 MHz to put one in the router (that has a mini PCIe slot) and one in the laptop. I found something, but I don't know how much it will cost or how much the shipping will be (since I'm in Europe) or if 160 MHz is enabled (the chip supports it, but the board may not).
I would have to contact them ...

You guys really need to read SmallNetBuilder.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-wifi-gaming-router-reviewed?showall=&start=3

160MHz' advantage is that it can double STA link rates for a given # of streams/antennas. So with 160 Mhz mode, a 1x1 STA can link at 867 Mbps instead of 433. You don't need to add antennas.

Two things to note, you need to live in a region with 8 5 GHz channels available and you will see higher link rates only with very strong signal levels.

160MHz' advantage is that it can double STA link rates for a given # of streams/antennas. So with 160 Mhz mode, a 1x1 STA can link at 867 Mbps instead of 433. You don't need to add antennas.

its hard enough to keep up with it all , but isnt that because its 2 x 80mhz links and not a single 160mhz sync rate and 160mhz adapter

so can you suggest a solution to the OP ? as i still dont think his solution would work with the current available standards

after all OPis just after a solid faster connection

You guys really need to read SmallNetBuilder.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-wifi-gaming-router-reviewed?showall=&start=3

Two things to note, you need to live in a region with 8 5 GHz channels available and you will see higher link rates only with very strong signal levels.

Just like TxBF, MU - 160MHz interop is going to be, erm, interesting, as 802.11ac allows two modes for 160MHz operation - 160 and 80+80 -- and with some regional fragmentation in the UNII bands, client side will be a challenge (think laptops, handhelds, where people can get on a plane and travel to a different regulatory domain where some modes may be possible, and some might not due to gaps in channels allowed)

correct and there is your issue as i said nothing supports 160mhz yet
My understanding from what I can read on the web is that "wave 2 standard" supports 160 MHz wide channels (contiguous or non-contiguous), so all of those devices listed in that press release should support VHT160.
All I have to do is find 2 mini PCIe cards under this "standard".

My understanding from what I can read on the web is that "wave 2 standard" supports 160 MHz wide channels (contiguous or non-contiguous), so all of those devices listed in that press release should support VHT160.
All I have to do is find 2 mini PCIe cards under this "standard".
"Wave2" is more a marketing term than a spec. You need to read device specs to be sure what they support. And even then, many specs are sorely lacking in detailed information like this.

Small update: I have contacted Acelink about this board and asked them if they have any distributors that ship in Europe, but they refused to share any information :(.
"Thanks for your mail. So you are end-user not brand company ?
If yes due to Acelink is an OEM/ODM company, so we can’t sell to end-user directly.
Please understand."

Mean while, I will attempt an upgrade to a 3x3:3 802.11ac setup.
Nice articles/reviews about wireless equipment, by the way. SNB has probably the most comprehensive tests.

See you in a year or two then with those devices. :)
Welcome from the future :p
Apparently 160 MHz adapters got on the market sooner than we thought.
http://www.compex.com.sg/product/wle1216v5-23/
http://shop.compex.com.sg/wle1216v5-23-pre-order.html
ONLY 130$ a piece, and I need 2 of them, + antennas + 100$ shipping .. oh dear. Will see how crazy I get.

By the way, I managed to get a 3x3:3 setup, but I don't get even close to 1.3 Gbps. I get max 250 Mbps, despite the software indicating between 900-1300 Mbps link. I 'm not a fan of spatial streams :confused:

Welcome from the future :p
Apparently 160 MHz adapters got on the market sooner than we thought.
http://www.compex.com.sg/product/wle1216v5-23/
http://shop.compex.com.sg/wle1216v5-23-pre-order.html
ONLY 130$ a piece, and I need 2 of them, + antennas + 100$ shipping .. oh dear. Will see how crazy I get.

By the way, I managed to get a 3x3:3 setup, but I don't get even close to 1.3 Gbps. I get max 250 Mbps, despite the software indicating between 900-1300 Mbps link. I 'm not a fan of spatial streams :confused:

Not even remotely from the future! :)

Those cards would be closer to $200 where I am and with this being an OEM product, drivers are not available for download (yet). So the future hasn't arrived. Even if you buy today.

When an Intel AC7260 2x2 WiFi card costs $10 to $20 today, I would wait for the actual future and enjoy it as it actually comes (not what I hope I will be creating with the incomplete puzzle pieces available now).

Small update: I have contacted Acelink about this board and asked them if they have any distributors that ship in Europe, but they refused to share any information :(.
"Thanks for your mail. So you are end-user not brand company ?
If yes due to Acelink is an OEM/ODM company, so we can’t sell to end-user directly.
Please understand."

Mean while, I will attempt an upgrade to a 3x3:3 802.11ac setup.
Nice articles/reviews about wireless equipment, by the way. SNB has probably the most comprehensive tests.

There are ways around that problem - but it takes some effort... I've used my consultancy business to obtain gear like this, as a ODM/HW design shop for a "unnamed" startup. Many times they might want additional info like a business license, Dunn and Bradstreet number perhaps, and some exchange of paperwork (letter of intent, non-disclosure agreements, etc) - but once that is all set up - then wholesalers are a lot easier to deal with.

Most of the time they'll either sell you the stuff outright, or provide a time-limited loaner board..

Not even remotely from the future! :)

Those cards would be closer to $200 where I am and with this being an OEM product, drivers are not available for download (yet). So the future hasn't arrived. Even if you buy today.

When an Intel AC7260 2x2 WiFi card costs $10 to $20 today, I would wait for the actual future and enjoy it as it actually comes (not what I hope I will be creating with the incomplete puzzle pieces available now).

With Compex, their WiFi card works with their baseboard, and they supply an OpenWRT fork with the board support and drivers included...

With Compex, their WiFi card works with their baseboard, and they supply an OpenWRT fork with the board support and drivers included...

I still did not find any drivers for my Windows computers though?

exactly... Compex does AP/Router stuff (and their stuff is well made, fwiw)

That is not what Chris DB is looking for though? See post 8. ;)

That is not what Chris DB is looking for though? See post 8. ;)

Exactly - totally get it - if one looks at the board itself, it'll be apparent that it's not going to fit into a PC ;)

Are there any ac adaptor which takes advantage of 160mhz. Even the Intel 3rd gen 8265 have only 80mhz support.