What's new

160 MHz mini PCIe 802.11ac cards

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I see they updated the page for WLE1216V5-23 at http://shop.compex.com.sg/wireless-modules/802-11ac/linux-4x4-wifi-module-pcie-adapter-bundle.html and included a link to the ATH10K driver for Linux kernel 3.3/3.4 (OpenWRT), so still no client support :(.

On a side note, I dipped my toes in 60 GHz 802.11ad WiGig area.
I bought 2 x Dell WLD15 Wireless Docking Stations + 1 x Intel 17265 + some M.2-mPCIe adapters. Took the 60 GHz antenna array from one of the WLD15, crammed it in the laptop along with Intel 17265 and the PCI adapters, and used the other WLD15 as an AP.
I was so excited, thinking it would max out the 1 Gbps ethernet port on the WLD15, but unfortunately it only measured 400-600Mbps half-duplex or 350 Mbps full-duplex :(.

Last edited:
What chipset? You mean the motherboard bios? If you don't have bios whitelist non-sense, you're good. If you do, you'll have to mod your bios, like I did. Usually, the ones that whitelist wifi cards are Lenovo, Dell and HP.

Other busses connect the chipset like southbridge to the PCI bus, the USB ports and the IDE or SATA hard disk connections.

Intel 9260 uses M.2-E or M.2-A. As long as your motherboard has either of these connectors, you're good.

ASUS laptops, I know from experience usually don't have white lists.

Welcome from the future :p
Apparently 160 MHz adapters got on the market sooner than we thought.
http://www.compex.com.sg/product/wle1216v5-23/
http://shop.compex.com.sg/wle1216v5-23-pre-order.html
ONLY 130$ a piece, and I need 2 of them, + antennas + 100$ shipping .. oh dear. Will see how crazy I get.

By the way, I managed to get a 3x3:3 setup, but I don't get even close to 1.3 Gbps. I get max 250 Mbps, despite the software indicating between 900-1300 Mbps link. I 'm not a fan of spatial streams :confused:

Did u try this mode 11ac VHT160 as you need to enabled in your router to HT160 and setup the adaptor to connect to vht160 so that it only club 2 x 80MHZ

Neither the client adapter or the router I have support 11ac VHT160 mode. This is why I was looking for a pair of adapters that support 160 MHz, one for the client (laptop), one for the home server.

If your Router does not has 160MHz support wath help will a adapter for 160MHz do for you then?
PCI-E M2 adapter may not go with your laptop IF the BIOS is locked by the manufactor, and you laptop only have 2 antenna cabels, you need 4 .
The solution can be 2 routers one in router mode and the other one in bridge mode, to this one you connect your devices by cable.

Again, one adapter goes in the laptop, for which I have already mod the BIOS, and one in a miniITX PC, which I already use a server/router/AP.

You writing that "Neither the client adapter or the router I have support 11ac VHT160 mode"?

If your Router or your Client NOT supports the 160MHz, why even by the PCI-E M2 card for, that wath you saying with your writing "You writing that "Neither the client adapter or the router I have support 11ac VHT160". Neither is the same as the NOT support this.

I believe it might be pfsense kind of hardware that can support upto 3 mini PCIe. So install one in the server with pfsense installed can act as router cum AP. Hope you have 1gbps speed internet for which you want a wireless speed to throttle your wired speed
Try a quad band router like netgear 7800,8500,x10 and pair with quad band usb adapter from Asus

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Thx for the suggestion. I have 100 Mbps internet, but I don't want the wireless speed for internet, only local, laptop - server/router.

Check Intel 9260 m.2 card here
http://www.bplus.com.tw/Accessory/INTEL-9260.html
Not sure how likely one is to have two spare 160MHz bands though...

You'll definitely want your router to support DFS. Wikidevi's database has only 11 routers that support both VHT160 and DFS and four of those are probably only available through an ISP, two from ASUS are not yet released. Wikidevi's database relies on someone to manually seek out and enter these specs though.

These seem to be the only ones you can buy today:
  • Linksys WRT3200ACM / WRT32X
  • Netgear R7800
  • Netgear R8900 / R9000

Last edited:
These seem to be the only ones you can buy today:
  • Linksys WRT3200ACM / WRT32X
  • Netgear R7800
  • Netgear R8900 / R9000

I think 160MHz channels are going to be similar to what we've seen with MU-MIMO - not much return on the investment for that specific feature...

In other words - like MU, don't make a purchasing decision based on 160MHz - look at the SW and routing capabilities...