What's new

1st attempt at Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
So I finally offloaded my AC86U to a family member and I inherited my old RT-N66U. I'm currently using an RT-AX86U for my wired connections and I'd like to use the Wi-Fi on the N66U for all my wireless devices.

I reset the N66U and configured it as an AP. I didn't think the local IP's from the N66U would show up in my AX-86U client list. Is that how it works? I seem to have connection with wireless devices and a wired device through the N66U, and no problems seem to be happening with the AX86U but I don't know what to expect.

While I've been able to setup the N66U on it's first run, I can't seem to re-access the web-page after I close it after the first run or setup. I don't know if that's normal behavior, I don't know if it's a bug, or what. I thought I'd have a little more control over the N66U and configuring the 2.4GHz & 5GHz settings once things were setup.

EDIT: Ok, I decided I should download the Asus Discovery tool and I can boot into the N66U

New question: Why would my wired devices show up in the client list of the N66U when they are not connected to it?

Last edited:
Ok, I didn't know what to expect. Assumed that wasn't suppose to happen.

Thanks

New question: Why would my wired devices show up in the client list of the N66U when they are not connected to it?
I'm under the assumption this behaviour is because those devices show up in the arp tables for the RT-N66U.
Whether or not those devices are connected to it they are reachable by it on its bridged LAN.
Since they aren't connected wirelessly,The other devices usually show up in Network Map > Clients as wired devices,

So it bothers me less, I try to see it as a "feature". And sort the connections to wireless in the Network Map > Clients page/tab.

FWIW, I manually assign DHCP leases in my main router for all the access points, so I know what their IP addresses are even if they are reset.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!