What's new

2.4G WIFI connectivity problem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yep, it might be firmware issues.
I hate that Asus locked the bootloader so you can't run other firmwares on the 86U...

Asus didn't lock anything. You can run my firmware just fine on the RT-AC86U.

The bootloader encryption is from Broadcom, and it's required for legal reasons.

Asus didn't lock anything. You can run my firmware just fine on the RT-AC86U.

The bootloader encryption is from Broadcom, and it's required for legal reasons.
Yes, Asus-WRT works, but not tomato, dd-wrt or open-wrt, because of the bootloader, right?
Oh, didn't know that.
But how come dd-wrt is in the works for R8000P with the same CPU? Did Broadcom only lock the bootloader for Asus?
My nr. 1 choice is your merlin mod but having a choice is never a bad thing in my book.

Yes, Asus-WRT works, but not tomato, dd-wrt or open-wrt, because of the bootloader, right?

No, because of the TRX signature used to validate the firmware. These never updated their TRX headers to remain compatible. I can't speak for DD-WRT, but in Tomato's case I even put two Tomato devs in touch with Asus (at Asus's request) so they could work it out together.

Bootloader has nothing to do with it.

Tomato doesn't support the RT-AC86U because it's a major architecture change, and right now there's no know-how or interested in the Tomato dev community toward supporting it - something that would require a LOT of work. Tomato was simply never designed to support anything but the old Broadcom SDKs.

But how come dd-wrt is in the works for R8000P with the same CPU? Did Broadcom only lock the bootloader for Asus?

Nothing is preventing DD-WRT from supporting the RT-AC86U. It's up to them ultimately to decide if they want to support it or not (based on time, availability of a development sample, interest, etc...)

Kong might have contacts with Netgear helping him get development samples, considering he's the one who primarily implemented/finetuned support for the R7000 and R7800, which could explain why the R8000P is getting supported.

No, because of the TRX signature used to validate the firmware. These never updated their TRX headers to remain compatible. I can't speak for DD-WRT, but in Tomato's case I even put two Tomato devs in touch with Asus (at Asus's request) so they could work it out together.

Bootloader has nothing to do with it.

Tomato doesn't support the RT-AC86U because it's a major architecture change, and right now there's no know-how or interested in the Tomato dev community toward supporting it - something that would require a LOT of work. Tomato was simply never designed to support anything but the old Broadcom SDKs.

Nothing is preventing DD-WRT from supporting the RT-AC86U. It's up to them ultimately to decide if they want to support it or not (based on time, availability of a development sample, interest, etc...)

Kong might have contacts with Netgear helping him get development samples, considering he's the one who primarily implemented/finetuned support for the R7000 and R7800, which could explain why the R8000P is getting supported.
Ok! So it's all because of signature verification - from Asus. But Asus is open to allow 3rd party firmwares to get signed, the only thing really stopping them is the platform change that is a major change and will need a lot of work to get AC86U supported.
When dd-wrt adds support for r8000P, they'll might add support for AC86U if there's not no much changes for non platform stuff.

Thank you for this information, I haven't seen this lined out before.

please let me know if you can solve it, have it seldom on 86U and mostly everytime on 68U if I change any WiFi setting (SSID, channel, bandwith ...).
this helps for me: SSH service restart_httpd

Does your china 86U change any Wifi-settings after apply???
Mine shows changed but doesnt do anything, have to disable/enable any Wifi to have it changed or reboot or SSH service restart_wireless.
Others dont have this problem, is it only on my 86U or relating to my AP-mode (I know few will use this on a 86U)? But I think I tested router-mode as well an same there.

please let me know if you can solve it, have it seldom on 86U and mostly everytime on 68U if I change any WiFi setting (SSID, channel, bandwith ...).
this helps for me: SSH service restart_httpd

Does your china 86U change any Wifi-settings after apply???
Mine shows changed but doesnt do anything, have to disable/enable any Wifi to have it changed or reboot or SSH service restart_wireless.
Others dont have this problem, is it only on my 86U or relating to my AP-mode (I know few will use this on a 86U)? But I think I tested router-mode as well an same there.
Of course, I don't need to restart, I only need to restart_httpd. I should have thought of that :)

No I think my wifi settings sticks OK, that or I've not been attentive...

Of course, I don't need to restart, I only need to restart_httpd. I should have thought of that :)

No I think my wifi settings sticks OK, that or I've not been attentive...
do you use auto-channel or manually set?

could you please test (any wifi analyzer on PC or mobile) whether channels are changing after apply?

2.4G is on Auto.
I changed manually and Apply set my channel correctly, checked with my iMac.

I have been waiting for the 8.0 Oreo update hoping that it would fix my Shield TV interference issues.
It arrived the other day and my 2.4G has been working since. Bluetooth keyboard is still short ranged but not sure if it related.

Edit: But the issue is now back again. Shield TV interferes with the wifi....

Last edited:
Finally figured it out, connecting anything USB3 to the Shield TV creates massive interference on all 2.4G devices BT and WiFi. Even with shielded extension cables and ferrite cores it was unusable.

It would be appreciated if ASUS clarified what the Disable Asusnat tunnel option actually does to alter the NAT functionality. Does it compromise security in any way? Quite annoying.

It would be appreciated if ASUS clarified what the Disable Asusnat tunnel option actually does to alter the NAT functionality.

That option is not part of Asus's firmware.

That option is not part of Asus's firmware.
Oh ok thanks. I know you said it consumes RAM and CPU, and you weren't even sure what purpose it serves anyway, so is that why you decided to include the option for us to disable it? Maybe it's redundant if NAT has proven to function fine without it? I'm gonna disable it...

you weren't even sure what purpose it serves anyway, so is that why you decided to include the option for us to disable it?

That's correct.

Maybe it's redundant if NAT has proven to function fine without it? I'm gonna disable it...

It's not related to NAT, it's related to Asus's services: AiHome, AiCloud, etc... To what level and exactly in what capacity, that I do not know.

That's correct.

It's not related to NAT, it's related to Asus's services: AiHome, AiCloud, etc... To what level and exactly in what capacity, that I do not know.

Hi

Where can I find this ASUSnat tunnel setting on my ac86u please?

Is it something disabled by default on your firmware.

Thanks

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!