What's new

2 routers in bridged mode

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cyclone6

Occasional Visitor
I've got 2 routers, and a 1 GB internet connection

A RT-AC86U as my main router
A RT-AC66U_B1 in media bridge mode configuration

The AC66U_B1 shows that it is connected to the AC86U at 1300 mbps. But when I run multiple speed tests, the best I can seem to achieve speed wise is 600 mbps with no other activity on the network.

My laptop that has Intel AC-9560 wireless rated at 1730 mbps also tops out at around the 600 mbps.

Is this a limitation of the RT-AC86U? Is that something that may increase it closer to the 1 GB top speed? (I can get about 920 mbps with wired ethernet.) Or is it just a limitation of wireless networking?

Thanks...

What are you connecting to? The main router or the Bridge?

Either way, that is about as good as you can expect.

I would say you're getting about the fastest speeds you can expect then. :)

Log into the RT-AC66U_B1 and monitor the CPU usage when you're doing the speed test.

My laptop that has Intel AC-9560 wireless rated at 1730 mbps also tops out at around the 600 mbps.
Check what link speed your laptop is actually connected at. To get 1730 Mbps you'd have to be using a bandwidth of 160 MHz, which is unlikely. It's more likely you're connected at 866 Mbps in which case 600 Mbps doesn't sound unreasonable.

Interesting. When the download test is running I see:

Core 1: 58%
Core 2: 90%

The RT-AC66U_B1 shows a TX rate of 1300 mbps and a RX rate of 1053 mbps
The Intel AC-9560 shows a TX rate of 867 mbps and a RX rate also of 867 mbps

Is it the CPU the bottleneck? My old RT-N66U with 450 mbps link speeds would give me 340 mbps speed tests. I'm quite disappointed that I can't get up to 800 mbps or so.

The bottleneck isn't the CPU, it is the Intel AC9560 in 80MHz mode and connecting with only 2 antennae in a 2x2:2 config (and also (maybe) because of distance/obstacles? Be sure you are testing with the laptop at least 10' to 30' away from the router (line of sight) for highest results).

Also, try testing with another (manual, not Auto) 5GHz control channel @ 80MHz bandwidth on the routers and check if the throughput and responsiveness are faster than they are now.

Interesting. When the download test is running I see:

Core 1: 58%
Core 2: 90%

The RT-AC66U_B1 shows a TX rate of 1300 mbps and a RX rate of 1053 mbps
The Intel AC-9560 shows a TX rate of 867 mbps and a RX rate also of 867 mbps

Is it the CPU the bottleneck? My old RT-N66U with 450 mbps link speeds would give me 340 mbps speed tests. I'm quite disappointed that I can't get up to 800 mbps or so.
I have an RT-AC68U which is essentially the same as the RT-AC66U_B1 and have observed the same sort of behaviour. Wireless to wired traffic doesn't seem to be able to fully use the hardware acceleration, unlike the WAN to LAN (wired) transfers where there is no CPU load at all. The effect is not as bad as completely turning off hardware acceleration but the CPU does appear to be a limiting factor for WiFi.

As for your AC-9560, like I said 600 Mbps would not be too unreasonable for a link speed of 866 Mbps. You might be able to tweak it up a bit though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!