What's new

$200 Asus Router ac1900+. which one? AC3100, AC3200, AC1900

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FWIW - Japanese TV is a real pain - and it's IPTV - so one has to find an end-point with a valid sub - once there, we mirror the port back upstream to a multicast reflector - and then take it from there.

It's basically an IP play - the AWS endpoint assumes some anon from the provider, as that's what they use as a reflector - so it's lost in the noise of their logs...

All that time spent in IETF meetings...

Asus AC 1900P is on sale at Best Buy this week for $184.99.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Indeed it is. Nice catch. I'll have to head over to BB with my newly purchased router box with the serial number and pick up my $15 price guarantee discount while I can. :D

Wondering if I should pull the trigger on the Asus AC1900P or go all out and get the Netgear X8 on sale for $359. I have Best Buy gift card and points to burn... Lol

Wondering if I should pull the trigger on the Asus AC1900P or go all out and get the Netgear X8 on sale for $359. I have Best Buy gift card and points to burn... Lol

Just because you have them, don't burn them. :)

The Asus is by far the better buy (overall, all things considered).

I'm upgrading from an ASUS AC66R. I do prefer ASUS. I was only looking at the Netgear because it's $40 off.

I'm upgrading from an ASUS AC66R. I do prefer ASUS. I was only looking at the Netgear because it's $40 off.

Even at $140 off, it would still be a NG. ;)

Points expire - so depending on circumstances, sometimes better to burn them up rather than see them go bye-bye unused...

And perhaps it's the BestBuy :D

(ducking - couldn't help the pun, sorry folks)

If those BB points are burning a hole in your pocket I still would go 1900P, 3100 or 5300 Asus. Whatever points you don't use could be spent on another item at BB. I don't know much about the Netgear. I haven't bought a NG router for years since I had the 3700 model. I'm addicted to the features and flexibility of the Asus. I don't see myself going back to NG or Linksys unless they come out with something that blows everything else out of the water. The X8 has some good reviews though so I'm not going to knock if it really is a good router.

I don't know much about the Netgear. I haven't bought a NG for years since the 3700 model

I don't know about their routers - been a long time, but I still have a keen appreciation for Netgear switches for a small network - managed or not, their ProSafe line hasn't let me down in small to medium size deployments. It's a combination of excellent build quality and good software (and that's a plus, imho)

I don't know about their routers - been a long time, but I still have a keen appreciation for Netgear switches for a small network - managed or not, their ProSafe line hasn't let me down in small to medium size deployments. It's a combination of excellent build quality and good software (and that's a plus, imho)
They have made good consumer networking products for a long time. I just just haven't kept up to date with their wireless routers either... since Asus cornered the enthusiast share of the market with their third party firmware capable product line.

since Asus cornered the enthusiast share of the market with their third party firmware capable product line.

I think we see both ends of the bell curve there - either it works great or it doesn't - and we see a lot of the traffic here - and then there's those that do try to push the limits enabled by third party SW - and that's ok...

Asus, Netgear, Linksys, Dlink, TP-Link, etc... most folks are happy with what they've purchased, as the gear generally works...

The Amplifi by Ubiquiti has received some good reviews. They start arriving in August and look interesting.

For most folks - any consumer grade AC1900 class Router/AP will generally do the job at the house - they're at a great price point, very good with Wireless, and decent enough with routing...

If your needs go beyond that - it's probably not the wireless side, but the routing side that will drive things, so again, AC1900 class AP's, and then consider switching/routing from there, and break out the wallet, because costs will jump up in a big way for some solutions...

I agree about the switches and the ProSafe line. Great hardware and very good software. :)

The routers are a letdown because,

1) they don't update it often or long enough.
2) they use ancient code that has known bugs and security issues.
3) less important (but still a distinguishing feature) is that 'old' router's aren't given new capabilities (even if the hardware is capable of it).

I agree about the switches and the ProSafe line. Great hardware and very good software. :)

Yep - now if we could get Netgear to do a ProSafe line that is a little bit more up to date with Wireless...

The routers are a letdown because,

1) they don't update it often or long enough.
2) they use ancient code that has known bugs and security issues.
3) less important (but still a distinguishing feature) is that 'old' router's aren't given new capabilities (even if the hardware is capable of it).

Their Router/AP's at a consumer level - while this is R7000 based comment, it applies pretty much across many others, at least in my opinion

1) Updatess - Bug fixes perhaps - Netgear did do a very long run on the R7000, and opened it up to third parties - which was a bit unexpected and appreciated by the third party community.

2) Old Code - all Broadcom AC1900's have that concern, at least the ones that are linux based built from Broadcom's SDK... some vendors do take time to plug those holes...

3) New features - that runs into some really weird business/legal issues actually, and depending on locality, some might be permitted, some not, but to keep the model/brand consistent... not a technical issue for the most part. Sometimes the upgrades (feature wise) are free, sometimes they're not, and it basically boils down to business/legal concerns...

Going today to get the ASUS AC1900 or the 3100. Still deciding at this moment

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!