What's new

2023 Smartphones To Get Wifi 7 Support. TP-Link Announces Wifi 7 Routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RTWZ80

Looks like the 2023 flagship smartphones using Qualcomm's Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 chip will get Wifi 7 support.

Ditto for those 2023 phones that have a Mediatek chip.

And TP-Link's beaten Asus and Netgear to the punch in announcing their first Wifi 7 routers. Given the super-delayed launch of their Wifi 6E routers though, I'd take this with a pinch of salt.

And TP-Link's beaten Asus and Netgear to the punch in announcing their first Wifi 7 routers. Given the super-delayed launch of their Wifi 6E routers though, I'd take this with a pinch of salt.
Paper launches are kinda meaningless. We all knew that TP-Link would be eventually launching a Wifi 7 product, as we also know that Asus and Netgear will as well. What remains to be seen is who will have products available when, and that includes clients as well as APs and routers. And we have yet to see the actual real world performance of Wifi 7 as well. Considering that the 6 GHz band is only available in a handful of regions, and very few manufactuers even car about that yet in 2022 (with companies like Dell going as far as DISABLING the 6 GHz band despite their Wifi SoC supporting it), I don`t see anything really exciting yet.

Paper launches are kinda meaningless. We all knew that TP-Link would be eventually launching a Wifi 7 product, as we also know that Asus and Netgear will as well. What remains to be seen is who will have products available when, and that includes clients as well as APs and routers. And we have yet to see the actual real world performance of Wifi 7 as well. Considering that the 6 GHz band is only available in a handful of regions, and very few manufactuers even car about that yet in 2022 (with companies like Dell going as far as DISABLING the 6 GHz band despite their Wifi SoC supporting it), I don`t see anything really exciting yet.
Thanks for the reply and agree on most counts. That's why I said to take TP-Link's announcement with a pinch of salt. I'm thinking that these developments will accelerate the release schedule of Wifi 7-supported devices and routers in 2023-2024 though, as manufacturers love the 'first to market with any cutting edge products' strategy for its ability to move more products in the early adopters crowd (me included).

As per the previous Wifi 6E standard's timeline, smartphones are set to lead the first wave of Wifi 7 device adoption and router makers will follow suit with product releases. As for the 6Ghz band, I think there was an article from Qualcomm which mentioned regions such as China where the band isn't approved can still make use of part of the new standard.

"In China, High Band Simultaneous Multi-Link enables a 240 MHz effective channel, fulfilling the Extremely High Throughput promise of Wi-Fi 7, even without the availability of 6 GHz spectrum allocation."

Not happy with 9.6Gbps on Wi-Fi 6 or what? :)
Eh. Is there anything on the market that can support 8 streams, even as an AP device? I think Quantenna had something, for a while Asus was looking at using it in a product, but the project seems to have died.

"In China, High Band Simultaneous Multi-Link enables a 240 MHz effective channel, fulfilling the Extremely High Throughput promise of Wi-Fi 7, even without the availability of 6 GHz spectrum allocation."
I suspect that a major problem with wifi in China is the very high population density, which probably means plenty of neighbour interference. For them, opening up more of the 6 GHz channels would have helped a lot.

I suspect that a major problem with wifi in China is the very high population density, which probably means plenty of neighbour interference. For them, opening up more of the 6 GHz channels would have helped a lot.
Indeed. Their maximum wifi transmission power is also capped by regulation at 100mW whereas North America's (US and Canada) is 1000mW.

Indeed. Their maximum wifi transmission power is also capped by regulation at 100mW whereas North America's (US and Canada) is 1000mW.
Reducing max power is actually a good thing in their case, it reduces interference from neighbours.

and very few manufactuers even car about that yet in 2022 (with companies like Dell going as far as DISABLING the 6 GHz band despite their Wifi SoC supporting it), I don`t see anything really exciting yet.
As far as I know, most PC makers have already incorporated WiFi 6E into their 2022 product lines. Samsung, MSI, Asus, Dell's Alienware, HP, Lenovo. And with Apple, which is notoriously slow in upgrading its WiFi modules, now supporting the 6Ghz band in its latest Ipad Pro, these developments will surely boost interest in WiFi 7 as well. Gaming PC makers are nearly always the first to adopt the latest in wireless tech.

As far as I know, most PC makers have already incorporated WiFi 6E into their 2022 product lines. Samsung, MSI, Asus, Dell's Alienware, HP, Lenovo.
Be careful, because sometimes they have compatible hardware, but they disable it at the firmware level. Like the XPS 15 I just mentioned. I also recently read about an MSI computer that also had Wifi 6e hardware, but it was disabled in the firmware - someone managed to re-enable it by going into the hidden service menu.

Merry Christmas and hope everyone's having a wonderful time with their families and loved ones~

Missed this piece of news out earlier in the month due to the holidays.

Consumer electronics maker Xiaomi launched its latest flagship smartphone with Qualcomm's FastConnect 7800 Wifi 7 chipset and a 10G router equipped with Qualcomm's Networking Pro Series 1220 platform to utilize the new wireless standard on. But just in its home market of China at the moment.

Wonder why PRC manufacturers like Xiaomi and TP-Link launch bleeding edge products in their home market first before making them available to the rest of the world...

Because it's cheaper to do so, and find/fix any problems that will come up.

Wonder why PRC manufacturers like Xiaomi and TP-Link launch bleeding edge products in their home market first before making them available to the rest of the world...

In addition to @L&LD's points, it's entirely likely that they face a shorter chain of regulatory approvals in their home market than elsewhere.

Good points from both. I appreciate the irony that they've launched the world's so-called first Wifi 7 device and router in a market that hasn't even opened up the 6Ghz band. TP-Link did the same, with 2-3 Wifi 6E routers out in PRC (later rebranded as Wifi 6 with an additional 5Ghz band), a year before before the AXE300 hit the shelves worldwide.

In addition to @L&LD's points, it's entirely likely that they face a shorter chain of regulatory approvals in their home market than elsewhere.
I see that Xiaomi kept to their release schedule for their Wifi 7-enabled Mi Router 10000.

It features Qualcomm's Tri-band Wifi 7 Networking Pro 1220 Platform.

And has been on sale since January this year.

Seems that they based their firmware off OpenWRT.

Their Mi 13 Pro smartphone with the SD8Gen2 that supports Wifi 7 is also on sale.

However, they'll only enable the Wifi 7 modem via an update when the 6Ghz band is certified in mainland China.

I am more worried about what type of WiFI 7 will we get? Which features are mandatory? Or they are in Spec but in reality wont be be shipped or turned on? ( Much like what happened in 802.11ac and 802.11ax ).

Multi-Link Operation.

I am more worried about what type of WiFI 7 will we get? Which features are mandatory? Or they are in Spec but in reality wont be be shipped or turned on? ( Much like what happened in 802.11ac and 802.11ax ).

Multi-Link Operation.
I'm more concerned with what the heck people are doing on their phones that needs that kind of throughput 😄

The less people know the more successful the BS marketing. The whole consumer industry relies on less knowledge possible.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!