What's new

20308 (TM1900->AC68P) and custom DNS (pi-hole)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mine Ong

Regular Contributor
Greetings,

Every since I have converted my setup from Merlin to the official AiMesh firmware, I am not able to use pi-hole as the DNS server for my internal devices. First, my set up is:

3x TM1900 converted to AC68P using 1.0.2.5 CFE
- one acting as AiMesh router
- one acting as AiMesh node using wired backhaul, and
- one acting as AiMeh node using wireless backhaul.

all of them has the Feb release of the Asus AiMesh firmware (20308). On the WAN side, I have VDSL (PPPoE).

Previously I was using the 1.0.2.0AM CFE but was experiencing the same problem. I updated to 1.0.2.5CFE and performed NVRAM reset on all 3 devices, thinking it would fix the problem, but it did not. I seek your help.

I've tried to used the pi-hole as DNS server by 1 of the 2 methods below:

1) Under WAN setting

- after entering the pi-hole IP (192.168.xxx.yyy) and clicking on "Apply", my VDSL would lose connection to my ISP provider. The only way to re-establish connection to my ISP is to reboot the router,
- However, no DNS is assigned to devices on my internet network. DNS queries would fail.

2) Under LAN setting/DHCP

- after entering the pi-hole IP and clicking on "Apply", again, I would lose connection to my ISP and the only way to bring WAN back on-line is to reboot the router,
- DNS queries works, but DNS server are those provided by ISP and NOT via pi-hole server.

Can anyone confirm that they are using pi-hole DNS server with the official Asus firmware (20308)?

regards,

I assume your Pi is set with a static IP, and that your'e entering this static IP as 'DNS Server1' in the LAN -> DHCP Server screen? Did you set pi-hole up with an upstream DNS provider?

What if you set the pi-hole as your DNS on a laptop or phone first and test?

yes, Pi-hole server is on a static IP. and yes, it has uses an upstream DNS (google).

If I set up the DNS server on a PC manually, it works fine. My pi-hole server was working with Merlin firmware. I am just having problem getting AsusWRT to work with it,

regards,

I assume your Pi is set with a static IP, and that your'e entering this static IP as 'DNS Server1' in the LAN -> DHCP Server screen? Did you set pi-hole up with an upstream DNS provider?

What if you set the pi-hole as your DNS on a laptop or phone first and test?

If I set up the DNS server on a PC manually, it works fine. My pi-hole server was working with Merlin firmware. I am just having problem getting AsusWRT to work with it,

You mean your haxxor'ed version of AsusWRT on a TM device, right?

3x TM1900 converted to AC68P using 1.0.2.5 CFE

You're on your own now...

You mean your haxxor'ed version of AsusWRT on a TM device, right?

yes, as I have stated in both the title and in my original post.

You're on your own now...

But may I ask why?

I am new to this forum, and based on the number of the posts you have I respect your presence and contribution in this forum. I am not trying to be argumentative, but I registered a membership to snbforums, not Asus. I submit to you that it would be inappropriate if I ask for help for a t-mobile device on a forum/domain owned by Asus.

and if snbforums (or this particular sub-forum) is owned by Asus, please kindly let me know.

Owned? Not directly. Ad dollars can limit what's discussed though. I'd say take it here and hopefully someone will respond.

How is his networking question related to the ban on conversion topics?
It shouldn't be related but since you are using the Asus firmware on converted TMO routers, that were not supposed to have AiMesh operable, others may see this as a verboten topic.

To your issue, I may have missed it; but what is the PiHole connected to? The main router or the node's? How are the nodes connected to the main router, using WiFi or Ethernet back-haul? What happens if you don't use AiMesh and instead set the node routers to AP mode?

Some, in the now nuked AiMesh TMO router thread, indicated having various issues with AiMesh. Could be this is a problem specific to AiMesh.

Thanks for everyone's input. Appreciated it.

To answer Bennor's questions,

I have 3 AiMesh devices:
- 1 AiMesh router,
- 1 AiMesh node on wireless backhaul,
- 1 AiMesh node on ethernet backhaul

The PiHole server is on ethernet connection with the AiMesh ROUTER and with static IP address.

I have recently updated my AiMesh to the latest firmware. I'll experiment with it to see if I have the same (mis-)behaviour. Will report back,

regards,

It shouldn't be related but since you are using the Asus firmware on converted TMO routers, that were not supposed to have AiMesh operable, others may see this as a verboten topic.

To your issue, I may have missed it; but what is the PiHole connected to? The main router or the node's? How are the nodes connected to the main router, using WiFi or Ethernet back-haul? What happens if you don't use AiMesh and instead set the node routers to AP mode?

Some, in the now nuked AiMesh TMO router thread, indicated having various issues with AiMesh. Could be this is a problem specific to AiMesh.

just a quick update. Updated firmware to 20648 and observed the same behaviour: when enabling custom DNS on WAN setting, I am not able to maintain ADSL connection to my ISP (Teksavvy, which runs on Bell's infrastructure). As soon as "Apply" button is pressed, my ADSL/WAN is disconnected. The only way to get it back is not to use custom DNS.

As for the 2 custom entries I've used, they are:

192.168.1.xxx (pi-hole)
8.8.8.8 (google, in case my pihole server is down).

At this point I am not exactly looking for a solution. But if anyone can CONFIRM this behaviour, I would really appreciate.

regards,

Check the Piholes IP values, probably a case of it changed, you may have to exit the network interface in pi hole manually via ssh or use the gui based reconfigure command to reset it's up values or just rebuild the picture hole installation.

One option - disable the DHCP server is the ASUS, and let Pi-Hole be both the DNS and DHCP server for the LAN (yes, it can do that). Goes without saying though, one should only have a single DHCP server, that's why it's optional on Pi-Hole

Pi-Hole is best configured as a static IP inside your LAN IP range, and it should be outside of the DHCP scope if something else is running DHCP.

just a quick update. Updated firmware to 20648 and observed the same behaviour: when enabling custom DNS on WAN setting, I am not able to maintain ADSL connection to my ISP (Teksavvy, which runs on Bell's infrastructure). As soon as "Apply" button is pressed, my ADSL/WAN is disconnected. The only way to get it back is not to use custom DNS.

As for the 2 custom entries I've used, they are:

192.168.1.xxx (pi-hole)
8.8.8.8 (google, in case my pihole server is down).

At this point I am not exactly looking for a solution. But if anyone can CONFIRM this behaviour, I would really appreciate.

regards,

I am using pretty much the same setup as you (2 nodes, one wired, one wireless) and it is working fine for me. Pi hole is sitting on the node with wired backhaul.

I leave the WAN DNS as is, or you can change to to 8.8.8.8, 1.1.1.1, or whatever you choose. I set the LAN -> DHCP -> DNS server to my Pi hole IP. I've never had an issue with anything.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!