What's new

2x RT-AX92U AiMesh, node unable to upgrade firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HKcow

Regular Contributor
I am running two RT-AX92U on AiMesh setting with official Asus firmware (3.0.0.4.384_8697-g4c0773e). Today I noticed that there is an update (3.0.0.4.384_9177-gbe0ac36) so I perform the update in the web interface. The page said update completed and after I login again, could see the main unit was flashed but the node was failed - it stayed in the original firmware without any noticeable issue. I then tried to update the node again using the mobile app and it failed at around 48%. I repeated the web / mobile app updates for around 10-15 times but they all failed. Any advice on how to solve this?

I would also like to provide some history. I purchased the 2 unit pack for around 6 months, while they functioned well the setup was always having trouble. For example, it always encountered firmware update issue at the node. Without knowing exactly why it would require me to retry for a few times (e.g. 5 times) before it can update successfully (just this time the 20x trials all failed). Same issue happened when I setup the AiMesh and adding the node to the network. The synchronize process would fail for a few times before it suddenly worked (I placed the 2 units exactly next to each other already). I did try to swap the 2 units or did a few time software / hardware reset but the same issues keep happened. I wonder if I am having defect unit or this is an known issue that can be fixed (I treid to contact ASUS support before but no useful feedback was provided)?

As I don't want to repeat the AiMesh setup process (it would run into issue!) I still not try to factory reset my units. But as I mentioned I did that before but seems can't fix the issue I encountered.

I am running two RT-AX92U on AiMesh setting with official Asus firmware (3.0.0.4.384_8697-g4c0773e). Today I noticed that there is an update (3.0.0.4.384_9177-gbe0ac36) so I perform the update in the web interface. The page said update completed and after I login again, could see the main unit was flashed but the node was failed - it stayed in the original firmware without any noticeable issue. I then tried to update the node again using the mobile app and it failed at around 48%. I repeated the web / mobile app updates for around 10-15 times but they all failed. Any advice on how to solve this?

I would also like to provide some history. I purchased the 2 unit pack for around 6 months, while they functioned well the setup was always having trouble. For example, it always encountered firmware update issue at the node. Without knowing exactly why it would require me to retry for a few times (e.g. 5 times) before it can update successfully (just this time the 20x trials all failed). Same issue happened when I setup the AiMesh and adding the node to the network. The synchronize process would fail for a few times before it suddenly worked (I placed the 2 units exactly next to each other already). I did try to swap the 2 units or did a few time software / hardware reset but the same issues keep happened. I wonder if I am having defect unit or this is an known issue that can be fixed (I treid to contact ASUS support before but no useful feedback was provided)?

As I don't want to repeat the AiMesh setup process (it would run into issue!) I still not try to factory reset my units. But as I mentioned I did that before but seems can't fix the issue I encountered.
First thing to try is to power down both units and then power back up again. Then try the upgrade.

If that fails again then download the firmware and do the upgrade manually.

BTW if you save off the configuration, you can hard reset and get back to where you were pretty quickly.

First thing to try is to power down both units and then power back up again. Then try the upgrade.

If that fails again then download the firmware and do the upgrade manually.

BTW if you save off the configuration, you can hard reset and get back to where you were pretty quickly.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Tried to power down each of them before, but not both. I will try this again.

The firmware seems to be too new that I can't find it listed on the Asus webpage, that's why I can't try the manual upload method. (however from previous bad exp, the firmware upload process may still fail)

Save off + Hard reset + restore, will this preserve the AiMesh node setting and not require to add back node again?

The firmware seems to be too new that I can't find it listed on the Asus webpage, that's why I can't try the manual upload method. (however from previous bad exp, the firmware upload process may still fail)

Save off + Hard reset + restore, will this preserve the AiMesh node setting and not require to add back node again?
This works if you hard reset the AiMesh Router. I have not combined with a hard reset of the node.

This works if you hard reset the AiMesh Router. I have not combined with a hard reset of the node.

hm... I am thinking to hard reset my node, update the firmware, then add it back to the AiMesh.. but seems risky given I see so many ppl complaining on node adding process (seems Asus did not fix it from 2018 till 2020)..

If the node unit is working you could wait for the firmware to appear on the ASUS site and manually update.

My AX92's updated without issue today , the set up is different though. Mine are run as router and hardwired AP .

I never use WiFi or an App to flash firmware.

Following Administration>Firmware Upgrade, there should be a Manual firmware update : Upload link. Download the official firmware from the link below, and update that way.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AX92U/FW_RT_AX92U_30043849177.zip

The above link can usually be modified to download the desired firmware when it hasn't populated the device's support page. ;)

Following Administration>Firmware Upgrade, there should be a Manual firmware update : Upload link. Download the official firmware from the link below, and update that way.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AX92U/FW_RT_AX92U_30043849177.zip

The above link can usually be modified to download the desired firmware when it hasn't populated the device's support page. ;)
Issue solved! Thanks!

The node updated without issue by using manual upload.

And just as a node, I am using a hard-wired pc to operate the process. Not sure what's the different between pressing the auto-update in web-ui (not working for node) and manually upload (worked!).

Good, this stuff is as flakey as f**k at the moment. Glad it's working. Also glad it's settling down a bit. Last few updates seem to be a lot like proper releases as opposed to Alpha/Early Beta releases.

Good, this stuff is as flakey as f**k at the moment. Glad it's working. Also glad it's settling down a bit. Last few updates seem to be a lot like proper releases as opposed to Alpha/Early Beta releases.

Agree.. AiMesh is like a beta software...

Trouble setting up(node adding issue), many features not avl as node (schedule reboot, even manual reboot not avl in web ui except mobile app, client list not showing details for nodes' clients). All these missing features had not been improved since launch of AiMesh for over 2 years...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!