What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
2x2_ap_roundup_teaser.jpg
Our roundup of 2x2 802.11ac access points shows top performance doesn't have to cost a lot.

Read on SmallNetBuilder

As someone looking to upgrade from an N router (used as AP only) to AC I'm wondering if an access point like one of these would serve well as opposed to purchasing a router to only use as an AP? Currently I have my router on the main floor. Coverage in basement and main floor is excellent. The 2nd floor coverage is very good but a little weak on the opposite side of the house as router. Will one of these equal the range and throughput as an actual router set up as an AP?

That's what I'm doing at my house. I use an old Linksys E3000 as the router with all of the wireless turned off and an AC-Lite as the AP. The router was placed pretty close to the cable modem in an ok but less than ideal spot for wifi coverage but with the AP having POE I was able to place it at the top of the staircase that goes down to the basement so it covers the whole house very effectively.

Pulling the cable required some drilling and fishing and working in the attic but it was worth the effort.

At one time I was going to go the AP route, and even ordered 3 AC-HD's. Then I was like you know what, the orbi does fine, so i sent them back. Maybe one day, I will go AP's but I just don't see the need in my house. Not to mention my wife was a tad upset when she saw how much they were....

At one time I was going to go the AP route, and even ordered 3 AC-HD's. Then I was like you know what, the orbi does fine, so i sent them back. Maybe one day, I will go AP's but I just don't see the need in my house. Not to mention my wife was a tad upset when she saw how much they were....

Those ARE expensive. I would be curious to know if they out perform the AC-Lite and other much less expensive AP's in a home environment.

I'm interested to know if Tim's tests on OpenMesh gear were performed with Deep Packet Inspection "Layer7" option enabled or disabled. I disable this option on my OpenMesh networks because documentation says it results in even lower overall throughput and I don't have a need for additional information for my home networks. I have never conducted an actual test on this option while controlling variables to determine exactly how much throughput is affected. If this option was enabled during Tim's tests, it may contribute to the low overall throughput results he saw in his reviews.

I'm interested to know if Tim's tests on OpenMesh gear were performed with Deep Packet Inspection "Layer7" option enabled or disabled
I don't recall this setting, so did not change it from the default.

I'm not sure what the default setting is (enabled or disabled) but I've taken a screenshot of the "Application Reporting (DPI)" setting from the advanced page in Cloudtrax. Perhaps you can log into the network config settings and see whether it's enabled or not?

OpenMeshAppReporting.jpg

If I had any confidence in TP-Link products' security or reliability, I might consider buying them. Until then it's slower and more-expensive but more-secure and more-reliable Unifi APs it is for me.

I really do wish that Ubiquiti would work on improving performance. They just keep releasing more-expensive APs that don't seem much better in the AC-HD and their new "security" AP.

I'm looking to replace existing Linksys E4200 V1 next year. It will be replaced with 1 or more POE enabled AP. The plan is to get Ubiquiti PRO unit since it supported 802af. Reliable consistent throughput is the top requirement. Not peak throughput. which should I get?

Replaced my Asus 87U with Untangle UTM and Ubiquiti LR AP and could not be happier.
Built Untangle with $50 Intel CPU (dual 3.2 GHz), $50 Motherboard, 4gb and $10 second NIC.
The UniFi AP has frequent updates, seems more than other brands. Good stuff......

I'm looking for an AP with 'Time of Day Scheduling' - ability to shut off the radios at night - anyone know of an AP that offers this feature?

D60A3E04-378B-492C-A8E3-098448C282B1.png
I'm looking for an AP with 'Time of Day Scheduling' - ability to shut off the radios at night - anyone know of an AP that offers this feature?

UniFi allows you to set up times for the wireless networks you create.
Just get a couple of ubiquity ac pro’s and a Poe switch and sprinkle them around the place.

Tim, curious why a roundup released in December was testing an OpenMesh product with firmware that is 6 months old (and at least 5 versions old) and the Ubiquiti with firmware from February 2017 (at least 10 versions old, actually more but I stopped counting). Even the Ubiquiti controller used is outdated. I'm guessing this is a repost from a previous test? If so, I still question why a roundup would just plugin numbers from tests done at various different stages.

In Ubiquiti's current 3.9.x branch they definitely improved performance.. And 3.9.x has been out since late September.

Yes, the OpenMesh results from its review were reused. The Ubiquiti's results were from an unpublished retest back in September.

I had a lot of other testing to do and I've yet to see firmware significantly change RvR performance in other products.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!