What's new

3 Asus Router Configuration for AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jderosa3

New Around Here
I have the following setup now and want to add a 3rd router.

ISP Cable comes into basement on far end of house that connects to an AC86U... I then have a AC68U on the other side of the basement. I have them connected by using a LAN port on the main AC86U to the WAN Port port on the AC68U.

I will be adding another AC86U in the garage which is equal distance from the mid placed AC68U... can I go from the LAN on the AC68U to the WAN on the 3rd and final AC86U?

See diagram:

The red area is the area I want to add... is this proper to keep linking them like this with the Ethernet?

Drawing1.jpg

sure, but better to replace 68U with new 86U and put 68U to the garage, you can change them later too, no problem and no new setting necessary, just plug and play but dont mix up power adapters (86U gives more current).

Yes, try it. There may be some radio signal balance advantage to keeping the 86Us farthest apart with the 68U between them... with regard to wireless clients and roaming. The basement location is not ideal... not high and in the clear.

Be sure to set each node connection priority to Wired/Ethernet.

OE

Great thanks for the feedback. I’ll Experiment and see what results I get. Where do I set the priority for the wired connection (I assume it auto prioritized)

thanks again.

Great thanks for the feedback. I’ll Experiment and see what results I get. Where do I set the priority for the wired connection (I assume it auto prioritized)

thanks again.

Select the node\More Config...

OE

I have the following setup now and want to add a 3rd router.

ISP Cable comes into basement on far end of house that connects to an AC86U... I then have a AC68U on the other side of the basement. I have them connected by using a LAN port on the main AC86U to the WAN Port port on the AC68U.

I will be adding another AC86U in the garage which is equal distance from the mid placed AC68U... can I go from the LAN on the AC68U to the WAN on the 3rd and final AC86U?

See diagram:

The red area is the area I want to add... is this proper to keep linking them like this with the Ethernet?

Drawing1.jpg

This will work. I bought 4 RT-AC86U routers in 2017 to operate on each floor of a four story home, with one replacing my Verizon FIOS router and connected directly to my optical network terminal.

In 2018, I enabled them as a mesh network and regularly update as patches are released. The only trouble I’ve encountered is the occasional node goes offline and needs to be rebooted.

On my iPhone, I’m seeing 677Mbps down and 541 up, with lots of concurrent Nest cam traffic.

Unfortunately, the guest network only broadcasts from the router connected in my utility room. It reaches ok for when you want guest devices to connect that are isolated from your LAN. My Nest thermostats can’t handle my complex 63 character Wi-Fi password, and they run off my guest network.

How did you get on adding this node to your current topology?