What's new

3 pack ASUS ZenWiFi XT8 vs. 3 AX86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

For me, when I care about the form factor, I'm bleeding money. Function over form, always.

Which is why I am using AC86Us rather than Deco or Velop. Aesthetics aside, though, sometimes the form precludes the possibility of deployment, so alternatives are required. In two of my ideal locations, the 88-series are not practical to place but the 86-series fits.

Edit: I realized that I didn't answer one of your earlier questions--my firewall/router is a Sonicwall TZ570. It is connected to a managed switch. The ASUS are used as APs only.

Last edited:
RT-AX86U Pro is the upgrade model for you. You get newer hardware, newer firmware and perhaps better reliability. It's the same form factor as your RT-AC86Us and you don't overpay for features you don't need. Keep in mind the upgrade won't produce any extremely noticeable improvements in user experience. What you see on the screens of your devices >$600 later will be about the same and the range will be about the same. In such a major equipment replacement and with Ethernet available I would just go SMB and forget about consumer products. Asuswrt 5.0 on Pro models is in the beginning of the fixing stage. It will come with beta testing time - your time.

Thank you, @Tech9! I was thinking about the AX86Us from reading one of @L&LD's posts where the AX showed throughput improvements at distance. I was willing to spend the money to get that, but I realize that is YMMV and have no way of knowing if that would make a difference at all.

I like the idea of SMB--Ubiquiti would be my first choice, but it seems like most of their devices, along with other SMBs are designed for ceiling mount. My Ethernet ports throughout the house are at receptacle level. I'm also seeing the Ubiquiti WiFi7s having poor reviews. Are there any table-height SMB APs that is well liked here?

where the AX showed throughput improvements at distance

No such observations here, AX technology by itself has nothing improving the range.

Your RT-AC86U is hard to beat in range and the new RT-AX86U Pro will be very similar.

When reading on Internet rely on multiple sources and verify the information. ⚠️

Ask @OzarkEdge about his experience RT-AC86U -> RT-AX86U -> RT-AX86U Pro. You'll get the information straight on what you can expect in real life.

Last edited:
I have now 3 Cisco 150ax 2x2 APs. I started with 2 Cisco 581 4x4 AC APs. I replaced my 2 581s in the exact positions with my AX APs. They actually had less range in my house through the walls. The 2 things that stand out to me are my old 581 APs were 4x4 and used higher POE power requirement.

Yes, expected. 4x4:4 is markedly superior to 2x2:2 RF designs.

The power supply is king for electronic equipment. Agreed.

Please provide full model names, as AX6600 could be anything. The first Google result for AX6600 points me at a TP-LINK Archer AX90 | AX6600.

@RMerlin - Eric, I thought you were monitoring threads that are Asus focused and migrate them over to the appropriate subforums over in Asusland...

@RMerlin - Eric, I thought you were monitoring threads that are Asus focused and migrate them over to the appropriate subforums over in Asusland...
As I've said before - posts about purchasing advice belong in the Wireless Buying Advice forum, regardless of the models mentionned in that post. Just because someone considers an Asus device does not mean the final recommendation will end up being an Asus product. If someone considers both a Netgear or an Asus product, am I supposed to duplicate the post in both the Asus AND the Netgear forums by your own logic?

These discussions belong where they are right now.