What's new

[384.11_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long did you leave the router idle before that reboot? Not sure I understand that the 'internet is booting up slower' means?
This time I waited 55 mins and it booted up fine. Thanks again for your help.

@RMerlin I got this installed on my AX88U but I found a possible bug in doing so. If my OVPN client and or server is set to start at boot, it doesn't allow the router to ntp update, so the router never gets an internet connection. Once the router boots to this state, you cannot reboot from the webui, you have to reboot by power button or cable pull. The server and clients run when turned on after the reboot. If the server is enabled when the reboot is triggered the router hangs at ntp update. I wrestled with this for few hours. Check my signature for the scripts I use. No other custom configs.

My process was to flash and then test. It failed to boot up. No connection to my isp. I reset to defaults after trying a few things and failing (like dns changes and checking settings). The reset worked the router booted up. I added back stuff until finding out that any OVPN connection server or client stops the ntp update from working on the subsequent reboot, and thus the hang that you have to power cycle to get out of.

5G wifi seems to work now without the fixed channel work around. Noticed the new time server settings and second time server slot, no working tool tips though.
@RMerlin were you able to shed any light on this sir?

No problem here, but a question. Is this your OneDrive link or is this RMerlin's? Specifying it may be useful.

A short list of what it is supposed to fix or feature may be helpful too. :)
now your signature hurts eyes ! :oops:

Is this an unusual coincidence?

I had no Internet after installing this alpha build.
Stubby would not start. The reason is that dnsmasq had the port already in use.
After "service restart_dnsmasq", dnsmasq no longer had it and I was able to start stubby.
Code:
error: Could not bind on given addresses: Address already in use

udp        0      0 :::5453                 :::*                                4034/dnsmasq

After "service restart_dnsmasq", dnsmasq no longer had it and I was able to start stubby.
Code:

udp        0      0 :::5453                 :::*                                4034/dnsmasq
This sounds familiar! ;):)

I also noticed on the system page a line in the wrong language.
ASUS Wireless Router RT AX88U   System.png

Sorry, it is much more readable though (I've asked around).
Your signature is the best there is in helping people troubleshoot. Nothing short of smart, IMHO. ;):)

It is odd
In My windows Mobile/Windows phone ROM development days, i used to ask one of my trusted beta tester to post public testing roms.
He would take care of the "usual questions" .
This would give more time to concentrate in the project as it was a hobby.;)

Last edited:

Code:

Do you remember if you had ntp update at that point or did your ntp update just keep trying?

Do you remember if you had ntp update at that point or did your ntp update just keep trying?
In my case the ntp client had synchronized. The reason it worked is because it did not need DNS. The NTP server configured in Administration > System is an IP address. It is a LeoNTP server on my LAN.

Let us consider a case where DNS would be needed, however. If your web GUI NTP server is pool.ntp.org and Stubby-Installer had placed "server=/pool.ntp.org/1.1.1.1" in /etc/dnsmasq.conf, then would that work as well or would dnsmasq forward the request to port 5453 rather than to 1.1.1.1 by itself?
Code:
May  5 01:06:01 kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered listening state
May  5 01:06:01 rc_service: skip the event: start_firewall.
May  5 01:06:01 wan: finish adding multi routes
May  5 01:06:01 ntp: start NTP update
Apr  6 14:47:02 rc_service: ntp 2768:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Apr  6 14:47:02 rc_service: waitting "restart_wan_if 0" via wanduck ...
Apr  6 14:47:02 S61stubby: start Stubby DNS over TLS /opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby

In my case the ntp client had synchronized. The reason it worked is because it did not need DNS. The NTP server configured in Administration > System is an IP address. It is a LeoNTP server on my LAN.

Let us consider a case where DNS would be needed, however. If your web GUI NTP server is pool.ntp.org and Stubby-Installer had placed "server=/pool.ntp.org/1.1.1.1" in /etc/dnsmasq.conf, then would that work as well or would dnsmasq forward the request to port 5453 rather than to 1.1.1.1 by itself?
Code:
May  5 01:06:01 kernel: br0: port 2(eth2) entered listening state
May  5 01:06:01 rc_service: skip the event: start_firewall.
May  5 01:06:01 wan: finish adding multi routes
May  5 01:06:01 ntp: start NTP update
Apr  6 14:47:02 rc_service: ntp 2768:notify_rc restart_diskmon
Apr  6 14:47:02 rc_service: waitting "restart_wan_if 0" via wanduck ...
Apr  6 14:47:02 S61stubby: start Stubby DNS over TLS /opt/etc/init.d/S61stubby
For me this is what is in the logs just before ntp update starts repeating tself.

For me this is what is in the logs just before ntp update starts repeating itself.
Code:
May  4 23:05:11 WAN_Connection: Ethernet link down.
May  4 23:05:12 WLCEVENTD: Assoc 2C:AA:8E:09:A0:CA
May  4 23:05:12 custom_config: Appending content of /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add.
May  4 23:05:12 custom_script: Running /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf (args: /etc/dnsmasq.conf ) - max timeout = 120s
May  4 23:05:12 dnsmasq[1138]: started, version 2.80-44-g608aa9f cachesize 1500
May  4 23:05:12 dnsmasq[1138]: DNSSEC validation enabled
May  4 23:05:12 dnsmasq[1138]: DNSSEC signature timestamps not checked until receipt of SIGINT
May  4 23:05:12 dnsmasq[1138]: configured with trust anchor for <root> keytag 20326
May  4 23:05:12 dnsmasq[1138]: configured with trust anchor for <root> keytag 19036
May  4 23:05:12 dnsmasq[1138]: asynchronous logging enabled, queue limit is 5 messages
May  4 23:05:12 dnsmasq-dhcp[1138]: DHCP, IP range x.x.x.x -- x.x.x.x, lease time 1d
May  4 23:05:12 dnsmasq[1138]: using nameserver 1.1.1.1#53 for domain pool.ntp.org (no DNSSEC)
In my case I use stubby and the time should sync but the WAN is down.

For me this is what is in the logs just before ntp update starts repeating tself.
By the way my situation is not complicated by a router VPN client.

By the way my situation is not complicated by a router VPN client.
The other thing i noticed is dnsmasq starts like 5 times with the same log entries.

The other thing i noticed is dnsmasq starts like 5 times with the same log entries.
Do you think this is related to the alpha firmware? I do not see anything pointing in that direction.

In my case, dnsmasq was started twice and repeated the nameservers seven times.

Last edited:
Do you think this is related to the alpha firmware?
My first guess is that something in the NTP code got changed or NTP is using the wrong interface to look for time sync, just guesses at this point.

I'm puzzled by the log entry saying the WAN connection is down. I use static ip it should have everything it needs except dns. Which at that stage is coded into dnsmasq to use 1.1.1.1 over #53 to sync time...o_O:confused:

I'm puzzled by the log entry saying the WAN connection is down. I use static ip it should have everything it needs except dns. Which at that stage is coded into dnsmasq to use 1.1.1.1 over #53 to sync time...o_O:confused:
What is your WAN test? Mine is a ping of my ISP's first hop router IP address. Do you have a router VPN client? If so, does your WAN test work in both cases?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!