What's new

[384.11_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

octopus

Part of the Furniture
Last edited:
@RMerlin I got this installed on my AX88U but I found a possible bug in doing so. If my OVPN client and or server is set to start at boot, it doesn't allow the router to ntp update, so the router never gets an internet connection. Once the router boots to this state, you cannot reboot from the webui, you have to reboot by power button or cable pull. The server and clients run when turned on after the reboot. If the server is enabled when the reboot is triggered the router hangs at ntp update. I wrestled with this for few hours. Check my signature for the scripts I use. No other custom configs.

My process was to flash and then test. It failed to boot up. No connection to my isp. I reset to defaults after trying a few things and failing (like dns changes and checking settings). The reset worked the router booted up. I added back stuff until finding out that any OVPN connection server or client stops the ntp update from working on the subsequent reboot, and thus the hang that you have to power cycle to get out of.

5G wifi seems to work now without the fixed channel work around. Noticed the new time server settings and second time server slot, no working tool tips though.

Last edited:
Why do other people “announce” RMerlin’s work?

And isn’t the title currently misleading?

(“Testing all variants” while there’s apparently only an AX88U build right now)
RMerlin never announce alpha build and its more practical have all question in same thread. Sorry if you have problem with that. :oops:

Last edited:
RMerlin never announce alpha build and its more practical have all question in same theread. Sorry if you have problem with that. :oops:
I was just surprised to see that happen recently. I'm not blaming you.

Though I do blame myself (and maybe also you a bit) for getting excited about new stuff and then discovering it's only for the AX88U... ;)

RMerlin never announce alpha build and its more practical have all question in same thread. Sorry if you have problem with that. :oops:

No problem here, but a question. Is this your OneDrive link or is this RMerlin's? Specifying it may be useful.

A short list of what it is supposed to fix or feature may be helpful too. :)

No problem here, but a question. Is this your OneDrive link or is this RMerlin's? Specifying it may be useful.

A short list of what it is supposed to fix or feature may be helpful too. :)
@RMerlin
Code:
NEW: NTP daemon on the router, to allow your LAN clients to
synchronize their clocks with it. Dnsmasq will also
announce it through DHCP option 42, for clients using
that parameter.
Will this be optional, i.e. can it be turned off in favour of the Entware implementation? Though I suppose if the same version I can drop the Entware ntpd in favour of the firmware's. Will you also be including ntpq?

EDIT: And what option(s) will be available for modifying the configuration file?

Thanks in advance :)

@RMerlin
Code:
NEW: NTP daemon on the router, to allow your LAN clients to
synchronize their clocks with it. Dnsmasq will also
announce it through DHCP option 42, for clients using
that parameter.
Will this be optional, i.e. can it be turned off in favour of the Entware implementation? Though I suppose if the same version I can drop the Entware ntpd in favour of the firmware's. Will you also be including ntpq?

EDIT: And what option(s) will be available for modifying the configuration file?

Thanks in advance :)
I read it's supposed to auto disabled if the entware version is present.

I noticed my router booting up a little slower, but not to slow, just slower.

I noticed my router booting up a little slower, but not to slow, just slower.

After the first reboot from a firmware flashing, I would expect that.

After leaving the router on and idle (you can use your network normally, just ignore the router and its dials and graphs) for at least 10 minutes to an hour, the next reboot should be back to normal. ;)

After the first reboot from a firmware flashing, I would expect that.

After leaving the router on and idle (you can use your network normally, just ignore the router and its dials and graphs) for at least 10 minutes to an hour, the next reboot should be back to normal. ;)
Thank you for the reply. You were right. Just did a reboot after an hour and it booted fine.:)

Edit: Rebooted again and it seems the internet is what is booting up slower.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. You were right. Just did a reboot after an hour and it booted fine.:)

Thank you for the confirmation.

The only reason I can logically deduce that this occurs is because of the low-quality hardware used in parts of our routers.

The wireless systems are top notch and world class.

The CPU's used are the best balance of performance and efficiency (even if I personally value performance over efficiency at these low power levels).

The quantity of RAM and the quality of the storage leaves me baffled though. Some of us would really benefit with greater than 512MB/1GB of RAM to enable all the features and options we presently have on the latest routers (including the scripts we can introduce ourselves).

But all of us would benefit from faster storage. Throwing in a proper SSD would make a marked difference in GUI response and every other interaction that the user or the firmware initiates with the 1990 type storage type currently used. Even if they shipped with subpar choices, the ability to upgrade the RAM and storage would make me buy a new router today. We don't need the latest and greatest M.2 SSDs either. Even an older Sata version would be a mind-numbing upgrade over the glacially slow 'flash' memory currently used. :)

Realistically? I am not hopeful that most/some router manufacturers will come up to today's hardware levels before 2030 rolls in. :(

I'm not using any config file at this time, just passing argument to the daemon for simplicity. This is just the basic Busybox applet, it doesn't provide any advanced features. I want to keep things simple and light on resources. The goal is just to provide a local time source, not to achieve stratum 1 accuracy.

I read it's supposed to auto disabled if the entware version is present.

No, I just made sure it wouldn't conflict with it (meaning for instance I stop it through its PID, not through a global "killall ntpd".

Edit: Rebooted again and it seems the internet is what is booting up slower.

How long did you leave the router idle before that reboot? Not sure I understand that the 'internet is booting up slower' means?

I'm not using any config file at this time, just passing argument to the daemon for simplicity. This is just the basic Busybox applet, it doesn't provide any advanced features. I want to keep things simple and light on resources.

No, I just made sure it wouldn't conflict with it (meaning for instance I stop it through its PID, not through a global "killall ntpd".
Brilliant, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!