What's new

384.18 -> 386.5: What is the impact to INBOUND OpenVPN server running on RT-AC86U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Woody

Occasional Visitor
Advance apologies if this is a really stupid question:

I currently run 384.18 on an RT-AC86U with inbound OpenVPN. I only have one inbound user (from another UU country) with OpenVPN configured to NOT allow ingress into my network, simply to redirect into UK internet so that user can access some UK specific sites that their CDN's don't render in their remote country (nothing illegal - just circumventing a CDN geo-fence).

As I understand it, the OpenVPN server in 386.5 has been updated (has a different cert schema?) so does anyone know the impact of simply upgrading from 384.18 -> 386.5: Will it all just work - or do I need to make any changes?

Note: That while you may just shout "RTFM!" most of the discussion in this area seems to be about using OpenVPN for outbound connectivity, rather than an inbound reflector as I am currently doing.

Thanks!

Considering the fact that most likely a full reset to factory defaults will be required, the point is moot.

Moving from 384.xx to 386.5_0 isn't a small step. Be sure you do it right.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

I've recently stopped doing boot time configuration upgrades from versions older than 386.1, so you will most likely need to do a factory default reset after flashing 386.5.

Thank you both @RMerlin and @L&LD !

So my next question, is an OpenVPN (the OpenVPN version within 386.5) question:

Are there any differences in the OpenVPN in 386.5 compared to 384.18 that I need to take into consideration? (other than I will need to remake the key and send it to the remote user)

No, not if you're doing it from scratch.

The (new) defaults should work beautifully.

Thank you both @RMerlin and @L&LD !

So my next question, is an OpenVPN (the OpenVPN version within 386.5) question:

Are there any differences in the OpenVPN in 386.5 compared to 384.18 that I need to take into consideration? (other than I will need to remake the key and send it to the remote user)
I can't say, there's been two years of changes between these two releases, I don't remember. You'll have to check the changelog.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!