What's new

384.7 USB not mounting,

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

HuskyHerder

I just moved my 5300 back from a mesh setup and having a devil of a problem.

I have formatted my USB stick on the router and it always fails to mount. I pulled it and formatted on Ubuntu, again no mount back on the router. Purchased a new stick again, no mount. Tried 4 sticks in all. 1 was my stick remaining from when I left merlin and tried mesh so I know it was in an ok status. I purposely safely stored it away.

I am hoping that I have been away long enough to miss something very stupid and y'all will get a good chuckle out of me. All I want it that USB stick working again.

When moving back to Merlin, I initialized, reset with reset button, initialized, reset with WPS, with last evening resetting multiple times.
I finally gave up and went to bed with no success. This morning yields no epiphany... Drive is plugged into the USB 2 port. I have also tried the drive in the USB 3 port with no success.

I have tried toggling off the JFFS partition and reformatting it. No joy.

I apologize I am a little miffed at myself because I cannot figure this out and I would appreciate any nudges in the correct direction, if there are any. I also did a customary search of the forums, but to me nothing really matches my issue, there are similar but nothing that gives me any assistance.

I have tried the USB from a VM (Ubuntu), Router, and Mac extFS each stick passes all my checks. Reports no errors, appropriate size etc.

The main reason I say it is not mounting is the GUI, but mainly due to Diversion and amtm refusing to install etc. and complain no compatible drive.

Drive formatting tried as 2,3 and 4 with no success. Drive is 64GB in size.

I am truly stumped.

*Edit: 1 stick was freshly out of the package last evening.

Well would you look at that.., as always you have an issue and post a query and now you look like a idgit cause you got it working.

I have no clue as to the real fix, the last steps I did were

disable scripts, in GUI (again)
reboot (again)
reformat the drive in extFS for Mac in ext4 (again)
check drive (again)
insert drive
drive mounted... (hurrah)

TLDR

Carry on nothing but my ramblings to see here. :D

Out of curiosity: which brand and type usb drive where you having issues with? Is it still in the USB2 port or in the USB3 port (in USB3 mode)?

ScanDisk Cruiser was my original USB which was previously working.

Same make model was tried again unformated unused previously.

Last one purchased yesterday was ScanDisk I think it was an Ultra Flair 32gb. I am out and about, so I can’t check for 100%.

Successful use was the USB2 port. Which is where I was previously running my USB a few months back.

ScanDisk Cruiser was my original USB which was previously working.

Same make model was tried again unformated unused previously.

Last one purchased yesterday was ScanDisk I think it was an Ultra Flair 32gb. I am out and about, so I can’t check for 100%.

Successful use was the USB2 port. Which is where I was previously running my USB a few months back.

Hrrrm.. oddly enough, your issue sounds like mine. I am reposting a post I put up at techpowerup regarding a flashed TM-AC1900 (with Asuswrt-Merlin - yes, I know that RMerlin wants nothing to do with these, but it does indeed work)

So, I've just gotten and reflashed this router. Everything seemed to go ok... BUT, I had issues getting the USB to be detected (no 'green icon' in top right of Asus or Asuswrt-merlin firmware).

running MOUNT or FDISK from Putty reveals no /dev/sda devices....

Here's the weird thing: While digging around, I find if I execute 'blkid', this suddenly mounts the USB drive as /dev/sda1, and the green USB light on the router's homepage lights up after page refresh.

Steps:
<insert USB drive>
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro,relatime)
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=127752k,nr_inodes=31938,mode=755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,mode=600)
/dev/mtdblock4 on /jffs type jffs2 (rw,noatime)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw,relatime)
(note there is no /dev/sda)

Execute 'blkid':
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U-F310:/tmp# blkid
/dev/sda1: LABEL="opt" UUID="af46f47d-e67d-d401-8000-f47de67dd401"
admin@RT-AC68U-F310:/tmp# mount
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=127744k,nr_inodes=31936,mode=755)
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/opt type ext4 (rw,nodev,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)

The usb mount point is /tmp/mnt/opt (flash drive volume name is 'opt' - setting up YAMon3 on the router),

I would really appreciate a Linux person walking me through why I need to execute this command to mount the USB flash drive and whether I can make this happen automatically.....

Hrrrm.. oddly enough, your issue sounds like mine. I am reposting a post I put up at techpowerup regarding a flashed TM-AC1900 (with Asuswrt-Merlin - yes, I know that RMerlin wants nothing to do with these, but it does indeed work)

So, I've just gotten and reflashed this router. Everything seemed to go ok... BUT, I had issues getting the USB to be detected (no 'green icon' in top right of Asus or Asuswrt-merlin firmware).

running MOUNT or FDISK from Putty reveals no /dev/sda devices....

Here's the weird thing: While digging around, I find if I execute 'blkid', this suddenly mounts the USB drive as /dev/sda1, and the green USB light on the router's homepage lights up after page refresh.

Steps:
<insert USB drive>
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# mount
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=127752k,nr_inodes=31938,mode=755)
(note there is no /dev/sda)

Execute 'blkid':
Code:
admin@RT-AC68U-F310:/tmp# blkid
/dev/sda1: LABEL="opt" UUID="af46f47d-e67d-d401-8000-f47de67dd401"
admin@RT-AC68U-F310:/tmp# mount
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=127744k,nr_inodes=31936,mode=755)
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/opt type ext4 (rw,nodev,relatime,user_xattr,barrier=1,data=ordered)

The usb mount point is /tmp/mnt/opt (flash drive volume name is 'opt' - setting up YAMon3 on the router),

I would really appreciate a Linux person walking me through why I need to execute this command to mount the USB flash drive and whether I can make this happen automatically.....

Sounds similar to an issue I read while searching for a way to properly prepare my usb drive for use with my routers. Anyway, I have posted the steps here, you can try:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-the-router-ad-blocker.48538/page-71#post-447604

Sounds similar to an issue I read while searching for a way to properly prepare my usb drive for use with my routers. Anyway, I have posted the steps here, you can try:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/diversion-the-router-ad-blocker.48538/page-71#post-447604

Cool, I'll take a look. I basically overcame this issue by executing 'blkid' in one of the startup scripts for the router, so that upon reboot it will run 'blkid' automatically and that has taken care of the issue for me.... ;)

Cool, I'll take a look. I basically overcame this issue by executing 'blkid' in one of the startup scripts for the router, so that upon reboot it will run 'blkid' automatically and that has taken care of the issue for me.... ;)
Btw, what's the model/brand of your USB drive? Do you use it on the USB 3.0 port?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!