1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

384.7 USB not mounting,

Discussion in 'Asuswrt-Merlin' started by HuskyHerder, Oct 13, 2018 at 2:10 PM.

1. HuskyHerder

HuskyHerder Regular Contributor

I just moved my 5300 back from a mesh setup and having a devil of a problem.

I have formatted my USB stick on the router and it always fails to mount. I pulled it and formatted on Ubuntu, again no mount back on the router. Purchased a new stick again, no mount. Tried 4 sticks in all. 1 was my stick remaining from when I left merlin and tried mesh so I know it was in an ok status. I purposely safely stored it away.

I am hoping that I have been away long enough to miss something very stupid and y'all will get a good chuckle out of me. All I want it that USB stick working again.

When moving back to Merlin, I initialized, reset with reset button, initialized, reset with WPS, with last evening resetting multiple times.
    I finally gave up and went to bed with no success. This morning yields no epiphany... Drive is plugged into the USB 2 port. I have also tried the drive in the USB 3 port with no success.

I have tried toggling off the JFFS partition and reformatting it. No joy.

I apologize I am a little miffed at myself because I cannot figure this out and I would appreciate any nudges in the correct direction, if there are any. I also did a customary search of the forums, but to me nothing really matches my issue, there are similar but nothing that gives me any assistance.

I have tried the USB from a VM (Ubuntu), Router, and Mac extFS each stick passes all my checks. Reports no errors, appropriate size etc.

The main reason I say it is not mounting is the GUI, but mainly due to Diversion and amtm refusing to install etc. and complain no compatible drive.

Drive formatting tried as 2,3 and 4 with no success. Drive is 64GB in size.

I am truly stumped.

*Edit: 1 stick was freshly out of the package last evening.

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. HuskyHerder

Well would you look at that.., as always you have an issue and post a query and now you look like a idgit cause you got it working.

I have no clue as to the real fix, the last steps I did were

disable scripts, in GUI (again)
    reboot (again)
    reformat the drive in extFS for Mac in ext4 (again)
    check drive (again)
    insert drive
    drive mounted... (hurrah)

TLDR

Carry on nothing but my ramblings to see here. :D

4. M@rco

[email protected] Very Senior Member

Out of curiosity: which brand and type usb drive where you having issues with? Is it still in the USB2 port or in the USB3 port (in USB3 mode)?

5. HuskyHerder

ScanDisk Cruiser was my original USB which was previously working.

Same make model was tried again unformated unused previously.

Last one purchased yesterday was ScanDisk I think it was an Ultra Flair 32gb. I am out and about, so I can’t check for 100%.

Successful use was the USB2 port. Which is where I was previously running my USB a few months back.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!