What's new

[AC 68U] Recommend FW upgrade path from 384.9

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chichi

New Around Here
Hello,

I didn't used my AC-68U router for a while and now that I need it, I realized the firmware version, 384.9, is super old, which scare me a bit about upgrading it.

As I am using the router in Access Point mode, I would like to know what could be the safest path to upgrade it to the most stable version, not necessary the latest one, as I remember it could be "challenging" to jump directly to 386.x.

Thank you in advance for your advice(s)

you have RMerlin latest firmware for Asus RT-AC68U (all versions have the same firmware file)
https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC68U/Release/

you can install it directly via firmware update from 384 to 386 version after update please be patient normally router will be operational within 5min. Severe upgrade situation I had 1-2hour do not power down router just wait.
when you will log after upgrade you shall clear NVRAM and set router one more time

Thank you Adooni!
I now have a stupid question: How do I clear the NVRAM? By doing a "power off" / "power on" cycle on after the successful upgrade?

I now have a stupid question: How do I clear the NVRAM? By doing a "power off" / "power on" cycle on after the successful upgrade?
Afterwards you will have to connect to it and configure it again as an access point.

If you're using your RT-AC68U as an access point only it doesn't matter whether you're using stock firmware or Merlin's, unless you're also using it as something like a file or media server.

Last edited:
If you're using your RT-AC68U as an access point only it doesn't matter whether you're using stock firmware or Merlin's, unless you're also using it as something like a file or media server.
Currently, yes, I use it as an AP, but in the future I don't know yet.

However, as I have already upgrade the firmware using Merlin's, I should stick to it, right? Or moving back to the "legacy" one is also possible?

However, as I have already upgrade the firmware using Merlin's, I should stick to it, right?
As you're going to be resetting the router after installing the new firmware it really doesn't matter what firmware you were previously using. Use whichever one works best for you (although in AP mode I doubt there will be any difference). You can switch between any of the firmwares as you see fit, just remember to do the factory reset when switching between stock and Merlin's firmware, and vice versa.

Or moving back to the "legacy" one is also possible?
Do you mean 384.9, in which case yes you can move back to that. Just remember to do the factory reset as going from 386.x to 384.x and vice versa is too big a jump to do a "normal" upgrade/downgrade.

Last edited:
As you're going to be resetting the router after installing the new firmware it really doesn't matter what firmware you were previously using. Use whichever one works best for you (although in AP mode I doubt there will be any difference). You can switch between any of the firmwares as you see fit, just remember to do the factory reset when switching between stock and Merlin's firmware, and vice versa.
Clear, thank you!

If you are using the Asus Merlin firmware see the following for general suggestions on firmware installation:
While it is generally not necessary to restore to factory defaults, it's not a bad idea, especially if there is a big jump in version number (e.g. from 112 to 178). No need to do the 30/30/30 dance as required by DD-WRT - just do a plain Factory Default reset, or turn the device on while keeping the WPS button pressed. (The procedure can be different from one model to another.)

Currently, yes, I use it as an AP, but in the future I don't know yet.

You can change the firmware any time you want. Your current use as AP needs nothing more than standard stock Asuswrt.