What's new

384.9 not showing all devices in Bandwidth monitor and MAC addresses showing in Traffic Analyzer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

del13r

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

The following features used to work flawlessly until I installed 384.9 onto my RT-AC68U.

Here we can see that 13.36 mbps of bandwidth is being used, however it is not showing the device responsible
upload_2019-3-7_6-23-22.png

I have a similar and possibly related problem with Traffic Analyzer - Statistic page only showing mac addresses for 2 devices instead of resolving the hostname.
upload_2019-3-7_6-25-17.png

These features used to work flawlessly until I installed 384.9 onto my RT-AC68U.
I even decided to downgrade, and I still cant get the feature to work properly anymore.
Any ideas what I am missing?

• The coming and going in client lists problem is with an Asus closed source module. Not known if or when solved.
  • Clients showing as MAC addresses can be solved with command line access to the router by editing nvram variable custom_clientlist

it's a well known asus issue, not merlin
and yet another reason why many here
are staying with 384.8_2 till asus fixes it.

most home users probably don't need 384.9
because that asus update is mostly about
router security vulnerabilities, not features.

Say if this was the most important feature to me, would downgrading to a particular version fix this?

cool, thanks

So you think that security is much less important than a very small problem with IP's reported in the GUI ?

yep, most threats are from features I don't expose to the internet like VPN, SSH, remote router admin, etc.

Hi all,

The following features used to work flawlessly until I installed 384.9 onto my RT-AC68U.

Here we can see that 13.36 mbps of bandwidth is being used, however it is not showing the device responsible
View attachment 16482

I have a similar and possibly related problem with Traffic Analyzer - Statistic page only showing mac addresses for 2 devices instead of resolving the hostname.
View attachment 16483

These features used to work flawlessly until I installed 384.9 onto my RT-AC68U.
I even decided to downgrade, and I still cant get the feature to work properly anymore.
Any ideas what I am missing?

To save repeating myself, please see this link: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/u...ow-to-solve-without-reboot.55416/#post-470290

Except for the known issues here as noted by others, it should still help your router get back to a good/known state with the firmware you want to run on it.

I agree with AndreiV 100% though, the security fixes are not to be taken lightly.

While functionality does go missing until Asus addresses the issue and releases a fix that RMerlin can incorporate for us, it also gives the most secure home router we can have. Which, I feel is the most important job a router does for a network in the end, regardless of added bells and whistles.

security fixes are not to be taken lightly.

i don't, but let's be realistic here :p the average home owned router probably has not been updated since it was purchased (i've helped a dozen people cord cut, and that's the state their routers are found), while the average merlin user is so far ahead of the curve already when it comes to newly hatched exploits, most of which are not even out in the wild yet. this is why i make a distinction between home and office routers, since office routers have a responsibility to be more secure that is often tied to it's owners liability insurance policy and bonding, while home owners can still be running a dozen year old wrt54g for all anyone cares.

Say if this was the most important feature to me, would downgrading to a particular version fix this?
Not aware of any version without the issue

i don't, but let's be realistic here :p the average home owned router probably has not been updated since it was purchased (i've helped a dozen people cord cut, and that's the state their routers are found), while the average merlin user is so far ahead of the curve already when it comes to newly hatched exploits, most of which are not even out in the wild yet. this is why i make a distinction between home and office routers, since office routers have a responsibility to be more secure that is often tied to it's owners liability insurance policy and bonding, while home owners can still be running a dozen year old wrt54g for all anyone cares.

Sorry, but I don't see how that is realistic? Devices are used more and more between home and office; security is needed everywhere.

The only time any 'home' customer of mine doesn't care about security is before they're affected. Once they've been compromised, they shout 'security first' louder than me.

Thanks all.

Each time I have run the initialize and cleared the nv ram.

I have tried non-merlin official asus firmware and replicated the issue with
RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_45149-g467037b.trx

I then tried
RT-AC68U_3.0.0.4_384_32799-gfe72567.trx
and that works fine.

Security > Features

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!