What's new

386.3_2 on RT-AC88U denies access to webGUI and SSH over ethernet, but wireless access works fine

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

treefu

Occasional Visitor
Hello. I'm new here. Never had much reason to post before, but this latest release is giving me headaches!

I can't access the login page in the webGUI or SSH over ethernet on my LAN. Never seen this issue before upgrading. I've tried a number of different machines and confirmed the only variable appears to be whether I connect via the wlan or eth interface on the router.

I read here that this access issue could be the nt_center process updating the database. I see that process running on the router, but it's only using only 1% of CPU. I upgraded four days ago. I tried the physical reset button, but the issue persists. Internet connectivity for all clients (wireless or eth) works fine.

The message I get is odd too. On SSH from a wired (Windows 10, using MobaXTerm) machine and from a wired Ubuntu 20.04 machine I get:

Code:
Access denied
admin@192.168.1.1's password: <I enter the password here>
Access denied
Access denied
Access denied

Remote side sent disconnect message
                                   type 2 (protocol error):
                                                           "Too many authentication failures"

And it's the same if I use admin@router.asus.com. Note the 'Access denied' before even attempting authentication, after connecting.

There's also nothing in the router's /tmp/syslog.log to indicate there's been any authentication attempt at all. There's no firewall sitting between the ethernet-connected PCs and the router. All worked fine in the previous release. Wireless LAN SSH connections via a Raspberry Pi authenticate to the router fine. Wireless webGUI access (and SSH) from my LAN also work fine from a wireless (Kali Linux) laptop.

I've only enabled HTTP access for the time being, so naturally I've tried http://192.168.1.1:8080 and just http://192.168.1.1 but both give me ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED in the browser. I've tried deleting the browser cache too. Any suggestions welcomed. All the best and thanks.

I'm putting this down to hardware failure as no-one else appears to have seen this behaviour. It's within warranty so I'll exchange it for an RT-AX88U.

How could it be hardware when it worked before the update? It sounds like you can access wirelessly but which method? Asus app or just connecting to SSID and entering the GUI?
What firmware version did you upgrade from?
Since you can get in to the gui wirelessly, I'd back-up the settings and jffs, then do a factory reset and see if it fixes the problem. You can always restore the settings if it doesn't work, so nothing is risked.

BTW, a warranty replacement isn't an exchange. They'll just send up another one of the same model. You'll be lucky if it isn't a refurb. If you're retailer will exchange it, that's a different matter.

Last edited:
@treefu, I'm sure you meant the RT-AX86U, correct? (It's by far the superior model).

How could it be hardware when it worked before the update?

I don't know. The problem is, neither does anyone else. It could be coincidence too. Read on ...

It sounds like you can access wirelessly but which method?

As I said in the post, web GUI (I don't have the app).

What firmware version did you upgrade from?

The previous one. 386.3_0.

I'd back-up the settings and jffs, then do a factory reset and see if it fixes the problem

Yes, tried that - didn't work. In fact, when the router reboots and brings up the factory default ASUS_5G SSID, *the old SSID from before the reset is also still there and taking connections!* Very odd behaviour. And yes, the factory reset is successful. I tried soft reset and hard reset and return to factory defaults from the GUI. I even reflashed with the ASUS-WRT factory supplied software - which preserved exactly same issues! (no SSH login from ethernet, old SSID preserved, wireless access works fine).

My conclusion is that when you eliminate all other software possibilities (admittedly I didn't try flashing DD-WRT, but I did switch back to previous ASUSWRT-Merlin releases), it's only the hardware left that can be wrong.

BTW, a warranty replacement isn't an exchange. They'll just send up another one of the same model

I'm aware of that particular ruse. They don't even stock the RT-AC88U any more, so I'm getting a refund, then I'll by a new router ...

I'm sure you meant the RT-AX86U, correct? (It's by far the superior model).

No, I meant the RT-AX88U which is even better. I kept an old RT-AC56U lying around with DD-WRT which I'll use in the meantime. Thanks for your suggestions!

Have the same issue after upgrading to last upgrade with the modem RT-AC68U.
In my case now i can’t access even via wireless. Had to hard reset and install previous version.

The (older) RT-AX88U is using an older SoC code than the (newer) RT-AX86U. It is definitely not superior to the younger model except on paper specs.

The RAM is the same. The LAN ports are worth less than $10.

The SDK is what is superior in the newer model (RT-AX86U).

I had both, and when I tested the RT-AX86U, I sold both the RT-AX88U and the RT-AX58U and bought 2 RT-AX86U's.

The RAM is the same.

Ah yes, I see that now - thank you. I think I must have been looking at the RT-AX68U (with 256MB flash and 512MB RAM). That's very interesting. I already have an old unmanaged switch so I won't miss the extra LAN ports. Choices, choices ...

The RAM is the same. The LAN ports are worth less than $10.

The SDK is what is superior in the newer model (RT-AX86U).

I had both, and when I tested the RT-AX86U, I sold both the RT-AX88U and the RT-AX58U and bought 2 RT-AX86U's.

Just as an update, after a few months usage, indeed the RT-AX86U is superior. Thanks @L&LD. It's the best I've seen yet.

BE CAREFUL. I'm not talking about the RT-AX68U. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!