What's new

386.4 on AC88U breaks Chromecast device detection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are you Chrome Casts connecting to the network? If not, try creating a guest network and connecting the Chromecast to the guest network.
The mibox s is definitely connected to the wifi as I am able to use other apps on it.

I am also on same router and AiMesh with no issue after dirty upgrade to 386.4.

Just curious, are those chromecast devices using date/time like your router?
I had issue with my Google devices few weeks ago but solved by making sure their date/time are in sync with the network.
Just checked and all devices on the network have the exact same time.

It could be related to the issue i am having with 386.4 - that AiMesh pushes clients arround. In my case laptop located next to the one node is pushed over to the AP on the second floor.
This issue was not present in 386.3
Did you bound your chromecast to the specific AP?
Only have a single AP and it's connected to it.

I'm also experiencing the issue with Chromecast devices disappearing since 386.4 on a RT-AC5300. If I reboot the router the Chromecast devices are discoverable again. Did not happen prior 386.4, so I'll look into some the workarounds mentioned while I wait for the next firmware release.

Any fix? Mine disappear shortly after a router reboot and aren't discoverable. This also only started after a couple Merlin updates ago and still happens on 386.5_2 with ac5300

Last edited:
I would suggest verifying UPNP is working properly, I don't own a Chromecast but I believe it uses UPNP for other devices to detect it.

I would suggest verifying UPNP is working properly, I don't own a Chromecast but I believe it uses UPNP for other devices to detect it.

No, because:
Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a network protocol that allows compliant devices to automatically set port forwarding rules for themselves. These devices can be personal computers, printers, security cameras, game consoles or mobile devices that communicate with each other and share data over your network.

UPnP is a security risk and should not be enabled

No, because:
Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) is a network protocol that allows compliant devices to automatically set port forwarding rules for themselves. These devices can be personal computers, printers, security cameras, game consoles or mobile devices that communicate with each other and share data over your network.

UPnP is a security risk and should not be enabled
I’m aware of what UPnP, I’m also more aware of the security risks involved lol. You can also allow multicast protocols within a network’s local subnet without allowing it to traverse across your WAN interface.

My upnp looks on and Chromecast still stop working
What are you trying to connect to it with? Also you are on the same subnet right?

IDK why yours doesn't work but it has nothing to do with UPnP which is always disable on my router (GT-AX11000), and my two Chromecast 3rd gen never disconnected regardless firmware version (I am running 386.5_2 right now) and endless reboots. I even have them on 5Ghz while all my Android devices are on 2.4Ghz w/o issue. If a router factory reset doesn't work, I would look into the Professional tab and see which setting causes the problem.

I vaguely remember something about enabling IGMP Snooping under the Professional Tab, though I don't have any of these devices.

You may try toggling it off and back on again, if its already enabled.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!