What's new

MOCA issues with Xfinity

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SHaase

New Around Here
I added some MOCA 2.5 adaptors (Screenbeam ECB 7250s) to my home network a couple months ago. I'm on xfinity, using the xfinity XB8 gateway, and typically get about 1.4+ gbps down and ~250mbps. I noticed that my speedtests from all of my machines hooked up via my MOCA adaptors was usually in the 600-700mbps range, despite all of these devices using gigabit adaptors, so last week I started down the rabbit hole to fix this. A separate issue was that my MOCA connected devices would occasionally drop packets for a few seconds (I used ping -t to several hosts to test this). This wasn't enough to cause me any real issues, but my son thought this was a catastrophic problem while playing online games :). I found and fixed a few things, and while speedtest speeds are a bit better on my MOCA devices, they still aren't what I'd expect - and I've also run into a few other interesting gotchas so I was hoping someone could chime in.

Issue 1: My house has a cable connection closet where everything is routed to, and it used a 5-1000mhz coax splitter. After reading some posts here, I replaced the splitter with an Amphenol 5-1675mhz splitter. Interestingly, this didn't seem to make a difference in my speedtests, though it did seem to fix the issue of packets being dropped.

Issue 2: Since my XB8 gateway supports MOCA, on my original configuration I simply enabled MOCA on the gateway and plugged in MOCA adaptors in my office, bonus room, kid's office. Everything was functional, though it was a bit slower than I had expected. While reading some posts here, I found that the XB8 only supports MOCA2, not 2.5. When I looked at the Phy rates in the XB8 web UI, the connection between the XB8 MOCA node and each of my Screenbeams was around 1500, while the connection between every Screenbeam and the other Screenbeams was around 3500. I figured the XB8 was just the weakest link in the chain so I added another Screenbeam and connected it to the 2.5gbps lan port on the XB8 - and everything stopped working on all of my devices connected via the Screenbeams. I eventually fixed this by disabling MOCA on the XB8 - more on this later. At this point, things were working again, and my speedtests improved to the 800-850mbps range. So, definite improvement - but I was still irked that I couldn't get the 900-950mbit I had expected. Here's the Phy rates I'm now seeing (all 4 nodes are Screenbeams, as MOCA on my XB8 is now disabled).

1702671051277.png

Issue 3: When I had MOCA enabled on my xfinity XB8, I liked having the ability to check the MOCA speeds in the XB8 UI. Unfortunately, once I hooked up the extra Screenbeam to the 2.5 gbps lan port on the XB8, *everything* stopped working until I disabled MOCA on the XB8. I actually had to plug a machine directly into a lan port on the XB8 to be able to disable MOCA this because nothing, including wifi, was working. Everything was working great for about 2 days until 8am today when everything, including wifi, stopped working again. I checked the XB8 web UI and MOCA was enabled again - I have no idea how this happened - maybe xfinity pushed a change to my gateway? In any cased disabling MOCA on the gateway again fixed everything. Fingers crossed this doesn't happen again... Is having MOCA enabled on my XB8 creating an invalid network state (a loop of some sort, maybe)?

Issue 4: This one is minor, but I'm curious if anyone has input. Since I can't use the XB8 web UI to see/manage MOCA any more, I decided to update the IP settings on my Screenbeams so I could access their management UI from my network w/o having to jump through hoops. I assigned each a static IP outside the DCHP scope from my XB8 and everything seems to function normally, but the devices are no longer visible in the xfinity app nor on the gateway web ui (I now have a huge page of "Offine Devices" listed in the gateway web UI's Connected Devices list, despite these devices all being online). Most of these devices have their connection type listed as MOCA, so I'm guessing that maybe it's just confused since these devices should be showing up with a connection type of "Ethernet"? I'm hoping this eventually self-corrects, but if anyone has feedback on this, I'd appreciate it. I really like to be able to see/manage all of the devices on my network, and as it is I can't. :(

-Steve

Make sure your using a MOCA filter or all your neighbors will be connected to your network.

Unusual high data usage and unidentified devices connected to your network?​

What you need is a MoCA filter between your coax cable and your router/gateway!!!!!!!
This MoCA problem exists especially in multi-home buildings where all subscribers are hooked on to the same connection. Xfinity gateways are MoCA enabled this sends a signal into the coax lines letting ALL devices talk to each other. So your neighbor unknowingly taps into your data!

I had this problem where my usual 200gb usage suddenly spiked to over 1gb and I had devices connected to my network which were not mine. When I logged into my gateway’s admin, I suddenly was in someone else’s router and I could see all their settings.

After some research on the internet, I came across the MoCA issue with Xfinity and I aquired an MoCA filter, installed it, reset my gateway and it immediately solved all my issues!!!!

Xfinity should know about this issue and give each subscriber a filter with their modem. Denying this issue and just telling subscribers to change their passwords or sign up for faster service is not the solution!!!!!

I checked the XB8 web UI and MOCA was enabled again - I have no idea how this happened - maybe xfinity pushed a change to my gateway? In any cased disabling MOCA on the gateway again fixed everything. Fingers crossed this doesn't happen again...
Assume that it will. Install a 70 dB MoCA filter directly on the XB8 to block any MoCA signals to/from the XB8.

Others have similarly reported difficulty keeping the Xfinity gateway MoCA LAN bridge disabled. The MoCA filter will isolate the gateway from your MoCA setup, regardless of the state of its built-in MoCA bridge.

Is having MOCA enabled on my XB8 creating an invalid network state (a loop of some sort, maybe)?
Yes, exactly that — once you complete both connections for the standalone adapter at the gateway.

Last edited:
Use Iperf with parallel streams equal 10 to test your moca throughput between devices across 2 moca nodes. Internet speed tests are rough indicator.
your link rates are as expected. Your bit rate issues are likely elsewhere although inherent latency in a moca modem might be pulling the bit rate down a tiny bit.
if there are any open ports on the splitter, cap them with 75 ohm caps. It won’t hurt and can help. Was that new splitter certified moca 2/2.5 conformant ?

I am new and can't seem to start a post.
My setup is pretty simple.
I have two mocas, one upstairs attached to a computer.
One downstairs attached to to a router, and then to a computer.
They have both worked for years.

My wife knocked off a plugged in adapter in the garage which cut power to the network. As a result we lost TV and modem access. A technician came in and found the problem quickly.
However, the moca computers have not worked since.
1. I thought it might be the modem so I replaced it.
2, Moca is turned on in the modem.
3. I powered down both mocas and router to no avail.
3. Nether moca attached computers work unless I use wifi.
When I look in window setup it shows "ethernet" ---no internet.
Since I hadn't changed any wiring or configuration, I have no idea that caused the problem.
Help is appreciated.

We need to know the model number and brand of all of the devices on your coax network - TV set top boxes, moca adapters, router, ISP modem, etc. please.

What was the model number and brand of the adapter your wife knocked off in the garage ?
was this adapter a power supply for something ?

What exactly did the tech do ?

The tech did mothing other than plugged the power adapter back in and the TVs, and Internet came back.
the only thing not working is the two Actiontec ECB2500C devices.
I had one Actiontec plugged into the coax upostairs and an ethernet cable to a computer.
'I had the other Actiontec plugged into the coax downstairs and an ethernet cable to a computer.
Pretty simple.
My question is....would one Actiontec work if the other Actiontec was bad or that coax connection was bad?

My question is....would one Actiontec work if the other Actiontec was bad or that coax connection was bad?
Maybe, maybe not. A malfunctioning adapter could hobble the whole network. That said, you could try each adapter with the other powered-off; each adapter should be able to link with the MoCA-enabled gateway.

A couple other simple tests you could try…
  • direct-connect the Actiontec ECB2500C adapters to each other using a short coax cable and verify coax/MoCA status LED lights up. Optionally connect one of the adapters via Ethernet to the router LAN and the other to a computer and test connectivity and throughput.

• similarly, but less direct… insert a 2-way splitter in front of the MoCA-enabled gateway, connecting the splitter input to the room’s coax outlet and the gateway to one of the output ports. Then try each of the ECB2500C adapters on the other output port to test that each can connect.

If the adapters link in both scenarios above but not when installed in their original location, it would point to the tech having done more than simply plugging your distribution amplifier’s power source back in.

Can you provide model # info for the power adapter and its amplifier? Can you post a pic of the amplifier and the connected coax lines?

Additionally, have you tried a full power reset? Now that the amp is again functioning, you could power off the gateway and both MoCA adapters, wait a couple minutes, then power them back up in order, starting with the gateway, waiting for the gateway to fully come online before powering-up either adapter.

Maybe, maybe not. A malfunctioning adapter could hobble the whole network. That said, you could try each adapter with the other powered-off; each adapter should be able to link with the MoCA-enabled gateway.

A couple other simple tests you could try…
  • direct-connect the Actiontec ECB2500C adapters to each other using a short coax cable and verify coax/MoCA status LED lights up. Optionally connect one of the adapters via Ethernet to the router LAN and the other to a computer and test connectivity and throughput.

• similarly, but less direct… insert a 2-way splitter in front of the MoCA-enabled gateway, connecting the splitter input to the room’s coax outlet and the gateway to one of the output ports. Then try each of the ECB2500C adapters on the other output port to test that each can connect.

If the adapters link in both scenarios above but not when installed in their original location, it would point to the tech having done more than simply plugging your distribution amplifier’s power source back in.

Can you provide model # info for the power adapter and its amplifier? Can you post a pic of the amplifier and the connected coax lines?
Thank you I'll try testing the two mocas as you explained. It's also good to know they can work independently as I thought. (but not tried)

Did you happen to set a security code on the old adapters and moca enabled gateway ?
If so, they might be out of sync.

Same security code I always used.
Today I tried switching the a moca off line and using the other. Then switch the process and no results.
On Monday Feb 19th, I have someone coming in to test the coax.

Ok, I'm back. The coax has been tested.. OK.
I plugged my laptop into the Modem/Router and ethernet ran successfully.
I will send a file that I have run from settings, control panel and the LAST one is when I plugged it into the Modem/Router.

do you have 3 green lights when the ethernet and coax are plugged in along with power in the current installation on both moca modems ?

What is the current layout ? Is it PC---moca modem---coax---moca modem --- PC or is it PC---moca modem ---coax ---moca modem ---Router---PC ?
It was described both ways above.

what tests were run on the coax ?

When my ECB2500s started loosing communication/sync it was because the wall wart power supply was failing and the moca amp could not deliver enough power. If both moca wall warts are not warm/hot to touch, that may indicate the issue. That is one reason to use a 1 meter piece of coax in isolation to test the ability of the modems to function properly.

Here are the first four

Attachments

• Picture1.png
    Picture1.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 19
  • Picture2.png
    Picture2.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Picture3.png
    Picture3.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 17
  • Picture4.png
    Picture4.png
    74.4 KB · Views: 17
Here are the remainder.
I hope someone can determine why Moca is not active via my computers.

Attachments

• Picture5.png
    Picture5.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Picture6.png
    Picture6.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Picture7.png
    Picture7.png
    80.1 KB · Views: 18
I have three strong green lights on Moca.
Downstairs I go from computer to moca to coax and hopefully to the Xfinity modem.
Upstairs It's the same.
The setup worked fine until a xfinity rep found that a power adapter in the garage was knocked out.
He plugged it in and the internet and TV came up instantly, but the two mocas stopped working.
I noticed that when I got into the xfinity modem, the moca was listed as public while my wifi is listed as private.
That is shown on one of my pictures I sent. I don't know if that is the problem but it seems peculiar and there is no method to switch it to private.
I also noticed that in my settings, the internet status shows both IPv4 and IPv6 have no internet access.

have you been able to get into the diagnostics pages on the EBC2500s ? i forget what default their IP address is. You have to use a lan cable and set the PC to the same "X.X.X".y as the moca modem X.X.X.z

i don't remember the default. May have to ask Actiontec.

It is possible the Xfinity moca controller does not have the same security key as the two ECBs. You might have to disable security on the ECBs.

Another option is to reset the two ECB200s and start over with them, bring them up together on a short piece of coax and then, with the xfinity modem powered off, install them back on the coax and let them sync. Then power up the Xfinity modem and see what happens. We went through something similar with several forum members a few years back. The boot up and sync order mattered.

Just curious, why are you using IPV6 ? Does Xfinity require it ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!