What's new

386.4 WAN + Ethernet ports 100Mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kenshiroro

Occasional Visitor
Hi

First and foremost, just wanted to say AsusWRT-Merlin has been a godsend since the latest official firmware from Asus has been disconnecting my internet connection ever so often. Having to reboot the router about 6 times or more a day isn't a great experience

Prior to AsusWRT, the WAN and LAN ports are functioning at 1Gbps. After the installation, i see that it has been capped to 100Mbps

I did the usual physical troubleshooting like manual restart, unplug and plug but no changes there

Can someone guide me through connecting to the router via SSH and check if ports are configured to 1Gbps?

Thanks for you time and hope to hear from you soon

Router model?
Did you do a full factory reset with manual configuration after installing Merlin?

Router model?
Did you do a full factory reset with manual configuration after installing Merlin?
Sorry i should've added that info

Router is RT-AC86U and no i didn't do a factory reset with manual configuration after installing Merlin.

Just went through the documentation for installation guide (my bad), will do a factory reset. I can do this via the interface as opposed to the reset button at the back?

Interesting development, the router has been going strong for 21 hours (had to reboot as WAN dropped) and the WAN connection which was 1Gbps earlier today has now reverted to 100Mbps. Bizarre

I have scheduled a reboot every day at 2am so will check again later in the morning

I have a somewhat similar observation on my RT-AC68P:
Last week I had the WAN port drop to 100Mbps a couple of times - it seemt to coincide with a short loss of WAN connectivity according to the Log - not sure what triggered it - I could not find any suspicious entries in the Cable Modem Log that would point to a loss of physical connectivity.
Unplugging and replugging the WAN cable brought back 1Gbps...
It has not happened since Friday so I chalked it off to my Cable Modem playing tricks (SB6183) - but maybe there is more to it...

unfortunately that's a no go for me. as soon as i do that, i will need to go through a series of "connection terminated" and "modem hangup" lines under system log

very frustrating, especially even after manually rebooting the router via the power button at the back it will revert from 1Gbps to 100Mbps once the internet connection is FINALLY successful

is the RT-AC86U that bad of a router? i upgraded this from an RT-AC68U which was rock solid. this model which reviews almost everywhere is deemed as one of the best Asus routers

Can someone direct me on how i can get started with running a script or scripts?

Someone else having the dame issue but seems to have resolved by running a script(s) to force 1Gbps auto negotiate

For basic script installations, the following link may help. Note that you do NOT need to install amtm anymore (skip those steps).

amtm Step-by-Step https://www.snbforums.com/threads/amtm-step-by-step-install-guide-l-ld.56237/#post-483421

For the issues you're describing, have you tried different brands/quality Ethernet cables? Have you tried reversing the cables you have (if you can)? By 'reversing', I mean to physically swap the cable around.

Have you tried unplugging everything from all connections, USB, power cables (and cables/adaptors from the wall AC), and Ethernet cables from the entire network for more than just a few minutes?

What changes did you do after fully resetting the router? What options, features, and other networking devices are connected to your network/router?

Just tried your troubleshooting steps. The router would initially detect 1Gbps then revert to 100Mbps

Even listed as 100Mbps Full Duplex

I think it has to do with the auto negotiation issue as mentioned from the link i posted

And you tried different Ethernet cables?

Do the link speeds stay at 1GbE with a single connection on any of the ports?

Has this router been in a power surge and/or brownout situation?

Sorry for the late reply, answers as below

1. Yes tried nee cables, no difference
2. All the links are at 100Mbps. They change to 1Gbps when i unplug and replug but would fall back too 100Mbps over time
3. Not that I'm aware of. I am using a surge protector and power hardly cuts off where i sm

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!