What's new

386.5 Alpha1?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Dirty upgrade on my 2 x AC68Us went smooth to Alpha 2 now testing. Done intitial reboot and all my devices reconnected successfully so far so good. Thanks @RMerlin for the hard work.

Last edited:
Dirty upgrade from Alpha (drop 2) to Alpha2. Slick as a whistle.

Dirty upgrade to 2*AX88U to Alpha2 from Alpha 1 went buggy.
Upgrade went well of course, clients had issues to back up.

Had to restart whole system 3 times in order for it to work...

Node mesh connection went from Great status to OK, which is a degarde of a sort (even see 2 signal lines instead of 3 signal lines).
Will give the system 20-30 mins and restart again just to make sure.

I spy the AC86U Alpha 2!

Router: AX86U
Version: 386.5_alpha2-g4fa87261ad

Adaptive Qos > Bandwidth Monitor and FlexQoS tabs both report completely wrong or no real-time usage at all, even though 2 devices streaming and system status > internet traffic graph shows correct usage.

if you choose traditional qos it shows correct real time usage so it looks like this issue limited to adaptive qos.

@exoxon
Since it seems you are one of the only other person in this forum that use the AX86U with QOS, do you by chance see the reduction in LAN to LAN transfers when you enable traditional QOS or Cake?
I have a NAS that I use for file sharing and whenever I enable Cake or traditional QOS my transfer speed to and from my local NAS drops from ~100MB down to ~60MBs

@exoxon
Since it seems you are one of the only other person in this forum that use the AX86U with QOS, do you by chance see the reduction in LAN to LAN transfers when you enable traditional QOS or Cake?
I have a NAS that I use for file sharing and whenever I enable Cake or traditional QOS my transfer speed to and from my local NAS drops from ~100MB down to ~60MBs
Unfortunately i don't have NAS device or use LAN to LAN sharing so cannot help you with that, sorry.

Dirty upgrade from Alpha (drop 2) to Alpha2. Slick as a whistle.
The thread subject is no longer valid... heh heh.

Unfortunately i don't have NAS device or use LAN to LAN sharing so cannot help you with that, sorry.
I guess I'm really the outlier, I quess I could switch back to the AC86 that works with QOS without impacting internal LAN transfers, even though I lose faster wifi

@exoxon
This is VERY interesting to myself because... I am currently Transitioning from using a RT-AC68U & FlexQoS as my primary router + a single RT-AC68U Mesh Node... to using a RT-AX86U as Primary & likely using CAKE with one or two RT-AC68U Mesh Nodes. Anyways if you were using FlexQoS with Adaptive I would probably point out that you could probably make the NAS device a higher QoS class because as you described above... depending on what you were doing, wouldn't the device be correct in classifying the the NAS activity as file-transfer

I guess I'm really the outlier, I quess I could switch back to the AC86 that works with QOS without impacting internal LAN transfers, even though I lose faster wifi
I have no issues with QOS. The meters do not work right in Merlin or Asus firmware but the Adaptive QOS seems to work and improve buffer bloat scores on my 100/100 FIOS. This is a cosmetic Asus problem that will get fixed in time.

I have no issues with QOS. The meters do not work right in Merlin or Asus firmware but the Adaptive QOS seems to work and improve buffer bloat scores on my 100/100 FIOS. This is a cosmetic Asus problem that will get fixed in time.
Ahhh that... thanks for clarifying, me (nope don't care bout that)

Dirty upgrade to alpha 2 on gt-axe11000 woot woot!. On first reboot the icons were a bit funky, but I think that's some browser cache thing. I was using VPN fusion on stock Asus and settings did quite not survive the upgrade, by that I mean, the configurations were there, but the binding from devices to vpn options weren't. Few clicks and sorted it out. So far so good!

Ran a dirty upgrade from 386.4 to 386.5 Alpha 2 a few hours ago. All went very smoothly!
No issues & no residual problems at all. So far, everything works perfectly for me and the setup that I use.
Happy Camper! :D

This is VERY interesting to myself because... I am currently Transitioning from using a RT-AC68U & FlexQoS as my primary router + a single RT-AC68U Mesh Node... to using a RT-AX86U as Primary & likely using CAKE with one or two RT-AC68U Mesh Nodes. Anyways if you were using FlexQoS with Adaptive I would probably point out that you could probably make the NAS device a higher QoS class because as you described above... depending on what you were doing, wouldn't the device be correct in classifying the the NAS activity as file-transfer
Adaptive QOS does not throttle LAN to LAN transfers only cake and traditional, the thing is though cake work best for my connection, gives me A+.

Adaptive somethimes give me B or A depending on the test run with bufferbloat, but Cake always give me A+ on my 50 DL and10 UL. But the real issue is the impact Cake has of slowing LAN transfers to and from my NAS, and why this occurs on the AX86U and not the AC86U.

Last edited:
This link in aimesh node (RT-AX86U) not working.

Screenshot 2022-02-12 at 19-50-22 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AX86U - AiMesh.png

Dirty update on AX58U, no errors in the syslog and everything works as expected.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!