What's new

386.5 Alpha1?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Definitely under Tools
Off topic question - where are you pulling this wireless driver info from? Don't see this on my Tools screen.
Definitely under Tools, at least in 386.4.

1644025308082.png

Must be a 386.4 thing... I don't have it. Weird.

zgizxpZ.png

I think yours has a different title, it's called "Driver version". It references wl0 which is one of the wireless connections. I don't know why wl1 isn't listed also.

Will we have to wait for 386.5 final to get a firmware for the GT-AXE11000?
Ask Broadcom. They've been contacted two months ago by Asus regarding an issue with GPL code for that model that Asus can't figure out related to the wifi driver, and so far we're still waiting for a solution from them. Until that gets fixed, I can't do anything about that model, and who knows if/when they will get around to resolving the problem.

Same thing is holding back the RT-AC68U_V4 support.

Ask Broadcom. They've been contacted two months ago by Asus regarding an issue with GPL code for that model that Asus can't figure out related to the wifi driver, and so far we're still waiting for a solution from them. Until that gets fixed, I can't do anything about that model, and who knows if/when they will get around to resolving the problem.

Is the AX88U the one whose firmware got truncated during upload?

Thank you for this router specific information.
I missed (didn't justify) the AX86 ride, so I'm looking forward to the successor.

Last edited:
I'm on the 386.5 Alpha1, and it's under Tools-Sysinfo:

View attachment 39262
Dropped the Alpha on one of my APs today to give it a spin with a Nest HD Cam and a handful of IOT devices.

I do see the entry now. Need to get back on Merlin builds! Heh heh. Hopefully they re-upload the RT-AX88U piece that was truncated.

KZaLIxO.png

Dropped the Alpha on one of my APs today to give it a spin with a Nest HD Cam and a handful of IOT devices.

I do see the entry now. Need to get back on Merlin builds! Heh heh. Hopefully they re-upload the RT-AX88U piece that was truncated.
Quick update from my end - Alpha 1 has been running solid on the one AP I updated yesterday. Nest HD Camera/IOT Devices all happy on that one so that's a very good sign. Not seeing the constant disconnecting that was observed during the 386.4 testing. Phew.

Once the RT-AX88U Alpha 1 variants show up, will update the rest of my APs. Great to see the wifi stability issues fixed in this tho.

Quick update from my end - Alpha 1 has been running solid on the one AP I updated yesterday. Nest HD Camera/IOT Devices all happy on that one so that's a very good sign. Not seeing the constant disconnecting that was observed during the 386.4 testing. Phew.

Once the RT-AX88U Alpha 1 variants show up, will update the rest of my APs. Great to see the wifi stability issues fixed in this tho.
That's good to know. Did you notice any changes in the 2.4 & 5 dBm noise levels in 386.5 Alpha 1 compared to the previous release?

That's good to know. Did you notice any changes in the 2.4 & 5 dBm noise levels in 386.5 Alpha 1 compared to the previous release?
Nothing significant jumped out with that respect to be honest. I do not think the root cause of that issue was due to signal strength. Something was borked in those Asus wireless drivers, or was being far more strict than it was before with IOT devices and power saving etc...

I do want to thank you for reverting dnsmasq to 2.86. My remote AX86U would panic at least once a day with dnsmasq Tainted - then shortly after - hang up and require a reboot.
In looking at the logs since late yesterday - no dnsmasq issues so far.

Nothing significant jumped out with that respect to be honest. I do not think the root cause of that issue was due to signal strength. Something was borked in those Asus wireless drivers, or was being far more strict than it was before with IOT devices and power saving etc...
Thanks again Shabbs.
Just curious... are your 2.4G devices all running on g or n or a combination of both? Or better yet, if any were using g did the stability improve (less Deauth/Assoc) with Alpha1?

Thanks again Shabbs.
Just curious... are your 2.4G devices all running on g or n or a combination of both? Or better yet, if any were using g did the stability improve (less Deauth/Assoc) with Alpha1?
Mine are all n devices. I do not have any g devices and have set my 2.4Ghz band to "N only".

Here's to hoping the GT-AXE16000 doesn't meet this fate. That's the one I'm waiting for.
Still curious what the difference is other than speed.

Which is moot cause 6Ghz has such low penetration even with cheap, old walls I can barely get 1 bar from my GT-AXE11000.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!