What's new

386.9_0 for me?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Updates are not automatically installed. They must always be manually downloaded.

Updates are not automatically installed. They must always be manually downloaded.

No. There is a option to install new firmware automatically in the UI. You can also check for new firmware in the UI and if there is a version available you can install it.

No. There is a option to install new firmware automatically in the UI. You can also check for new firmware in the UI and if there is a version available you can install it.
I don't have an option that allows me to automatically install firmware... see below. Please show me your settings where this is available?

1674336394944.png

Besides, if it did... I would find that extremely dangerous as there are good reasons to hold off on upgrades at times, and could very likely bring a whole slew of routers down all at once, or at least hobble them. Not a wise option to enable if you ask me.

Your correct if you are using Merlin firmware. Stock does have the option.

Your correct if you are using Merlin firmware. Stock does have the option.
We are currently chatting in an Asuswrt-Merlin forum... :rolleyes:

I received an alert that new firmware is available today for my ASUS RT-AC86U running Merlin 386.7_2 (yellow exclamation point appeared in UI, shown below), so I checked the Merlin website and found that version 386.9 is available is for the RT-AC86U. My question is, if I go ahead with the upgrading from the UI, can I be certain that the upgrade is for the Merlin firmware as opposed to stock ? Thanks in advance.

router-upgrade-available.png

I received an alert that new firmware is available today for my ASUS RT-AC86U running Merlin 386.7_2 (yellow exclamation point appeared in UI, shown below), so I checked the Merlin website and found that version 386.9 is available is for the RT-AC86U. My question is, if I go ahead with the upgrading from the UI, can I be certain that the upgrade is for the Merlin firmware as opposed to stock ? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 47360
When you click this "update now" link, it will take you to the Administration -> Firmware Update page in the Asuswrt-Merlin UI. From there, it will tell you what version is available, and even presents you with a link to the download page (I believe). From there you will need to make sure you download the correct version for your router model... but yes, if you pick the correct Merlin download and apply it, it will not revert you back to a stock version.

In your case, you would end up here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC86U/Release/

And you'd want to download this zip file: https://sourceforge.net/projects/asuswrt-merlin/files/RT-AC86U/Release/RT-AC86U_386.9_0.zip/download

After you've unzipped it on your end, point your Firmware Update manual upload link to the "RT-AC86U_386.9_0_cferom_ubi.w" file.

I guess it is for my router, installed it...working fine

Check your log for NVRAM errors - many have reported having to factory reset and reconfigure from scratch (not backup) to resolve them.

View attachment 47360

You can't update directly from the UI (that was removed from Merlin a while back, I think in 386 code, not entirely sure why). It just takes you to Merlin's site where you download the file then upload it on that screen.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!