What's new

RT-AC86U upgrading from 386.2_2 to 386.9_0. Anything need to be done differently?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

J123

New Around Here
I have an RT-AC86U that's been sitting for a long time. Going from 386.2_2 to 386.9_0. Anything need to be done differently with such a big jump? Also, I'll be adding a RT-AC68U node. Should that be on the latest stock version?

As long as it's still on the same main version, 386, it should be fine. But in reality, it's Asus, so there is always chance for a random f*ckup come knocking. That being said, 386.9 seems to be working fine from reports (and personal experience, with AC68U as an Aimesh node), so if you encounter any stability problems you should try a WPS reset and that will likely resolve any lingering bugs from prior versions.

The Asus AC68U node on the latest stock version, yes. You can update it via the one-click "upgrade" tab in Web interface before upgrading the AC86U.

And of course, you know that the 2.4Ghz band likely has to be manually set to 20mhz for you to achieve any stability, unless maybe if you live out in the countryside without any other Wifi's nearby it should work on 40mhz or auto 20/40 in theory (I haven't really tried). If not, I may have saved you a lot of aggravation and fist-sized marks in your plaster walls :)

Last edited:
Going from 386.2_2 to 386.9_0

Try 386.9, but it backfired on me:

and more:

Update to tested stable 386.5_2 first, save the configuration, test your luck with 386.9 after. If your router locks up - go back to 386.5_2.

I have an RT-AC86U that's been sitting for a long time. Going from 386.2_2 to 386.9_0. Anything need to be done differently with such a big jump? Also, I'll be adding a RT-AC68U node. Should that be on the latest stock version?

Seems like most people going to 386.9 on older AC routers (even from 386.7_2) have had to factory reset after and re-configure by hand. So probably best to just do it and have less to worry about as far as NVRAM usage and errors.