What's new

386 to 388 Benefits

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xnknown

Occasional Visitor
Can someone explain to me the benefits of going from 386 to 388? 386 has been very stable for a long time and im curious what the actually real world benefits are to going to 388 as there seem to be many stability issues with 388 as its relatively new.

Just off the top of my head, but... Asus firmware 388 has a number of benefits over 386, including:
  • Improved security: Firmware 388 includes a number of security improvements, such as support for WPA3 and DNS over HTTPS.
  • Increased performance: Firmware 388 can improve the performance of your router, especially for tasks such as gaming and streaming.
  • New features: Firmware 388 includes a number of new features, such as support for WireGuard VPN and Ethernet port connection reporting.
However, it is important to note that firmware 388 may not be compatible with all Asus routers. If you are not sure whether your router is compatible, you can check the Asus support website.

Here is a more detailed comparison of the two firmware versions:

Asus firmware 388
  • Improved security: Firmware 388 includes a number of security improvements, such as support for WPA3 and DNS over HTTPS. WPA3 is the latest Wi-Fi security protocol, and it provides better protection against attacks than previous versions. DNS over HTTPS encrypts DNS traffic, which makes it more difficult for attackers to intercept and modify DNS requests.
  • Increased performance: Firmware 388 can improve the performance of your router, especially for tasks such as gaming and streaming. This is because firmware 388 includes a number of optimizations that can improve the router's CPU and memory usage.
  • New features: Firmware 388 includes a number of new features, such as support for WireGuard VPN and Ethernet port connection reporting. WireGuard is a new VPN protocol that is designed to be faster and more secure than traditional VPN protocols. Ethernet port connection reporting allows you to track the status of your router's Ethernet ports.
Asus firmware 386
  • Older security: Firmware 386 does not include support for WPA3 or DNS over HTTPS. This means that your router may be more vulnerable to attacks.
  • Lower performance: Firmware 386 does not include the same performance optimizations as firmware 388. This can lead to slower speeds and less responsiveness for tasks such as gaming and streaming.
  • No new features: Firmware 386 does not include any new features. If you want to use new features such as WireGuard VPN or Ethernet port connection reporting, you will need to upgrade to firmware 388.
Overall, Asus firmware 388 is a significant improvement over 386. It includes a number of security improvements, performance optimizations, and new features. If you are using an Asus router, I recommend upgrading to firmware 388.

DNS over HTTPS

Where is it?

Overall, Asus firmware 388 is a significant improvement over 386.

The only real improvements I see are VPN Fusion for non-ROG routers and Wireguard VPN support. Otherwise 388 is buggy as hell. Every new release has something broken and quite often major around firewall or QoS. The latest version is no exception. Port connection reporting was there in 386.

Last edited:
Where is it?

Full disclosure... that was answered by Google Bard. :p

The only real improvements I see are VPN Fusion for non-ROG routers and Wireguard VPN support. Otherwise 388 is buggy as hell. Every new release has something broken and quite often major around firewall or QoS. The latest version is no exception.
Second disclosure... I found this on the Asus Support Forums... take it with a grain of salt...

The only way to get "DNS over HTTPS (DoH)" is to hardcode 1.1.1.1 on your LAN DHCP settings which essentially bypasses the ASUS firmware's DNS caching service which is incapable of doing dns/https. Good thing is, it adds the caching service as secondary DNS on the DHCP offer so in case cloudflare is down you will fallback to ASUS caching DNS.

Not sure if that even makes sense... but whatevs.

Just off the top of my head, but... Asus firmware 388 has a number of benefits over 386, including:
  • Improved security: Firmware 388 includes a number of security improvements, such as support for WPA3 and DNS over HTTPS.
  • Increased performance: Firmware 388 can improve the performance of your router, especially for tasks such as gaming and streaming.
  • New features: Firmware 388 includes a number of new features, such as support for WireGuard VPN and Ethernet port connection reporting.
However, it is important to note that firmware 388 may not be compatible with all Asus routers. If you are not sure whether your router is compatible, you can check the Asus support website.

Here is a more detailed comparison of the two firmware versions:

Asus firmware 388
  • Improved security: Firmware 388 includes a number of security improvements, such as support for WPA3 and DNS over HTTPS. WPA3 is the latest Wi-Fi security protocol, and it provides better protection against attacks than previous versions. DNS over HTTPS encrypts DNS traffic, which makes it more difficult for attackers to intercept and modify DNS requests.
  • Increased performance: Firmware 388 can improve the performance of your router, especially for tasks such as gaming and streaming. This is because firmware 388 includes a number of optimizations that can improve the router's CPU and memory usage.
  • New features: Firmware 388 includes a number of new features, such as support for WireGuard VPN and Ethernet port connection reporting. WireGuard is a new VPN protocol that is designed to be faster and more secure than traditional VPN protocols. Ethernet port connection reporting allows you to track the status of your router's Ethernet ports.
Asus firmware 386
  • Older security: Firmware 386 does not include support for WPA3 or DNS over HTTPS. This means that your router may be more vulnerable to attacks.
  • Lower performance: Firmware 386 does not include the same performance optimizations as firmware 388. This can lead to slower speeds and less responsiveness for tasks such as gaming and streaming.
  • No new features: Firmware 386 does not include any new features. If you want to use new features such as WireGuard VPN or Ethernet port connection reporting, you will need to upgrade to firmware 388.
Overall, Asus firmware 388 is a significant improvement over 386. It includes a number of security improvements, performance optimizations, and new features. If you are using an Asus router, I recommend upgrading to firmware 388.

thank you for that information, 386 already has wpa 3 no? At least mine does lol

thank you for that information, 386 already has wpa 3 no? At least mine does lol
I think it depends on your router hardware... I still haven't turned it on because of the potential fallout of older equipment that might not be able to handle it...

This is a wrong answer. There is no DNS-over-HTTPS in firmware.

This is incorrect as well. All you get this way is plain DNS port 53 to Cloudflare.
I AM ON A ROLL BABY! WHOOOO!! :)

You are a bot who asked another and the two did not understand each other. :)
I deeply resemble that remark greatly!!! 😡

Only a bot can create this:

WXMON v0.3b, KILLMON v1.05, PWRMON v1.26, RTRMON v1.55, VPNMON-R2 v2.55

... plus unofficial RTRHTR. I can clearly see a bot created the names as well. Not human. o_O

Only a bot can create this:

WXMON v0.3b, KILLMON v1.05, PWRMON v1.26, RTRMON v1.55, VPNMON-R2 v2.55

... plus unofficial RTRHTR. I can clearly see a bot created the names as well. Not human. o_O
OMG... I meant "MAN"... WXMAN... PWRMAN... VPNMAN... I swear I'm a MAN... for real... so are my bots, I mean, apps... like RTRHTR... its not a trick.

Like I said... I am totally not a robot, just your friendly neighborhood human, here to engage in normal human activities and discussions. Let's exchange pleasantries and engage in some delightful human banter. How can I assist you with your human queries today?

The only way to get "DNS over HTTPS (DoH)" is to hardcode 1.1.1.1 on your LAN DHCP settings which essentially bypasses the ASUS firmware's DNS caching service which is incapable of doing dns/https. Good thing is, it adds the caching service as secondary DNS on the DHCP offer so in case cloudflare is down you will fallback to ASUS caching DNS.

Not sure if that even makes sense... but whatevs.
I think the only way that would work would be for Chrome on a LAN client to detect 1.1.1.1 as the machine’s DNS (via the LAN DHCP settings) and auto-upgrade the browser to use DoH to Cloudflare. Very bold to claim it as a firmware feature though.

There is a new VPN type as feature in Asuswrt firmware now - Surfshark. It's above OpenVPN and WireGuard options, first choice.

Pfff old news... VPNMAN could handle that ages ago.

This answer is incorrect.
I'm going to guess a spider with 5 of its legs missing, and one spontaneously grew back.

Last edited:
I think it depends on your router hardware... I still haven't turned it on because of the potential fallout of older equipment that might not be able to handle it...
I'm not certain, but I think 386 support for wpa3 depended on the hardware and that 388 dropped support for hardware that doesn't support wpa3.

I'm not certain, but I think 386 support for wpa3 depended on the hardware and that 388 dropped support for hardware that doesn't support wpa3.
So here's a list... you may very well be right... I'm not even going to ask Bard or @Tech9 to verify that claim... ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!