What's new

4 Wireless Routers, 1 Home

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdikland

Regular Contributor
My current home wifi routers and wifi setup is.:
Ac68U - Main router, 2.4G channel 11, 5.0 Ghz channel 48
AC66U - AP router , 2.4G Channel 6, 5.0 Ghz channel 40
N66U - AP Router, 2.4G Channel 1, 5.0 Ghz channel 153

I am also experimenting with other (separate from the main wifi) options (more as a hobby or curiosity) such as PFSense. I would like to setup a 4th router for these trials providing wifi capability. Is this possible without causing havoc within my main wifi. For example, what channel could I use for 2.4Ghz and what is the impact of overlapping the main wifi channels?

My current home wifi routers and wifi setup is.:
Ac68U - Main router, 2.4G channel 11, 5.0 Ghz channel 48
AC66U - AP router , 2.4G Channel 6, 5.0 Ghz channel 40
N66U - AP Router, 2.4G Channel 1, 5.0 Ghz channel 153

I am also experimenting with other (separate from the main wifi) options (more as a hobby or curiosity) such as PFSense. I would like to setup a 4th router for these trials providing wifi capability. Is this possible without causing havoc within my main wifi. For example, what channel could I use for 2.4Ghz and what is the impact of overlapping the main wifi channels?

For the 2.4 GHz band, share the channel that is least likely to see a lot of traffic. For example, if the router near your office is on channel 1, you could have the router in the living room also use channel 1 if you never are at both places at the same time.

In other words: it's ok to use the same channel for two routers, as long they don't transfer a lot of data at the same time. For light usage (web browsing on a tablet for example), it probably won't make much of a difference either.

Good stuff;) From what you tell I can see adding the 4th router should pose little of no trouble. Thanks for your input