What's new

Are there no new (smaller) AXE wifi 6e routers coming out for Asus?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pixelcowboy

Occasional Visitor
I have an Asus ax56u router, but I want to upgrade to tri-band wifi 6e model because I use VR streaming and want better performance. I prefer to stay with Asus, but the only model available is the axe7800, which is both a bit pricey, but more than that it's huge and I don't have a good place to put it. Ideally I want something that is more a similar form factor to the ax56u or some of the other taller Asus routers. Is there any hope that Asus will release new models relatively soon?
My best options seem to be the Tp link offerings, but I really want to stay with Asus.

Welcome to the forums @pixelcowboy.

I would wait, and skip, WiFi 6E, today. The model you indicate isn't a recommended model here (from reading others' experience with it), regardless of the size of the unit.

It may be an option again in a few months (new models expected).

In the meantime, what does 'better performance' mean to you today? Maybe we can help with that.

What are your ISP speeds? What type of ISP do you have?

What connection(s) are you using and with what client devices?

Any other details may also be helpful.

The RT-AX56U is not a very powerful router (worse than the mostly ineffective RT-AX58U). All other consumer routers are much below what Asus offers us today, particularly when those models are RMerlin supported too.

Depending on your answers to the questions above, the RT-AX68U, GT-AX6000, or the RT-AX88U Pro is what is worth purchasing today. And particularly the latter two models should greatly surpass the network performance you are getting today.

I have excellent performance generally with my current router. But VR streaming needs a rock solid low latency connection, and it's usually suggested that the device is connected by itself to it's own (uncongested) band. Currently I get good performance but it can be inconsistent. I have multiple 5ghz devices so that isn't an option for me with the ax56u, and my device (Meta Quests) is 6e and my only 6e device, so a trip band router would be ideal. The developers of the VR streaming software I use recommend the TP Link axe5400, but like I said, I would much rather stay with an Asus solution. I can wait though, when do new Asus products usually get announced?

I'm expecting announcements in the next couple of months, with availability coming in the first quarter (hopefully) of 2024.

How many devices do you have connected to the 5GHz band? What are those clients doing? I'd find it hard to believe they would deteriorate the VR streaming substantially (unless you're torrenting or otherwise maxing out your connection 100% while you're using VR).

I'm in the same boat, except my performance on the Quest 3 is completely unusable, not just inconsistent. 6 ghz is a must due to high 5 ghz congestion in a townhouse environment, water pipes running through the ceiling, a giant satellite dish a couple blocks away, and a nearby airport. Meta also seems to have botched the Wi-Fi implementation very badly, as the performance that I and other people have been getting with Quest devices is much worse than with similar real-time gaming devices, like my 2017 Apple TV 4k using Steam Link for instance.

My pickle is that the only decently priced performer that has 6 ghz is the aforementioned TP-link AXE75 / AXE5400, but I'd like to avoid that brand due to their spyware practices and lack of open firmware support. It almost seems like a Wi-Fi 7 router being used as a 6E would be a better option than any of the poorly-priced 6E offerings, but early reviews on the Wi-Fi 7 routers seem pretty terrible. I'd also like something aesthetically pleasing or neutral, and would like to avoid the atrocious arachnid "gamer" routers if I can. I'm just not seeing any good options on the market right now.

Welcome to the forums @flynnstigator.

Your environment is what is tanking your performance.

See if the following links help.

I'm expecting announcements in the next couple of months, with availability coming in the first quarter (hopefully) of 2024.

How many devices do you have connected to the 5GHz band? What are those clients doing? I'd find it hard to believe they would deteriorate the VR streaming substantially (unless you're torrenting or otherwise maxing out your connection 100% while you're using VR).
5-7 devices. Like I said, performance is generally good, but I get occasional dropped frames. Resolution of streams for VR is very high, and latency is important, so a small drop can result in a crash in a fast paced driving game, for example. Most days I don't have issues, but sometimes I do. I'm just trying to minimize congestion by dedicating a single band to the Quest 3. A better router overall could help, yes, but if I'm going to spend more money I'd rather get a triband that supports the one device I have.

Maybe put some 'performance' numbers down for us.

Answering some of the questions in post 2 would be helpful too, to be able to help further.

Maybe put some 'performance' numbers down for us.

Answering some of the questions in post 2 would be helpful too, to be able to help further.
ISP speed is irrelevant for VR streaming as it's done locally (wired 1ghz lan connection from PC to router, wifi connection to VR headset device). I have 1gb internet though. For devices I have around 5-7 in the 5ghz band, couple of Android phones, Tablets, Windows work desktop (not the same one that's streaming, but it's usually off when I game). Not doing anything crazy with them at the same time I game, just my wife on her phone looking at videos, etc. Generally no complaints with the overall connection, I work remotely on the same connection 5ghz connection on a completely different room, and it powers a dual screen HD setup without any issues. Other than that is hard for me to give numbers, I attempt to stream at 200mbs at high resolution using AV1 encoding. It's usually fine, but I sometimes get hitches.

With the limited information you provide (I am asking for (much) more details in post 2), it doesn't seem like the router is the only one that may be underpowered. This could be an issue with your desktop computer and/or its configuration.

I believe the RT-AC56U is not a good match for your use case right now. The best you can try is the links I provide above to get your router as stable and as performant as possible. Upgrading to better hardware is your best solution in the long run.

Yes, so that's why I was asking about when new routers models are coming out. Don't want to get something 'better' but with outdated features that can't use my all of my new devices wifi benefits. But I guess the answer is if I want an Asus is that I just have to wait a few months and hopefully I'll get them.

One of the routers I suggested above is highly recommended (at least to test, in your environment) right now.

One of the routers I suggested above is highly recommended (at least to test, in your environment) right now.

There is a known issues with AC routers and the Quest 3 firmware right now. But generally AC routers aren't really recommend for VR streaming (this is coming from the developers that create the actual VR streaming software).

As a quick correction they do recommend some AC routers for the Meta Quest2. However, not for the Quest 3 now because the firmware has issues with them and we don't know if they will be fixed or not.

I have excellent performance generally with my current router. But VR streaming needs a rock solid low latency connection, and it's usually suggested that the device is connected by itself to it's own (uncongested) band. Currently I get good performance but it can be inconsistent. I have multiple 5ghz devices so that isn't an option for me with the ax56u, and my device (Meta Quests) is 6e and my only 6e device, so a trip band router would be ideal. The developers of the VR streaming software I use recommend the TP Link axe5400, but like I said, I would much rather stay with an Asus solution. I can wait though, when do new Asus products usually get announced?
I would think you can use separate APs on different channels using 5GHz and you would be fine.

I would think you can use separate APs on different channels using 5GHz and you would be fine.
Probably, but I still would need to buy a new router, which I would prefer to be an Asus rather than the recommended tplink. On the other hand, the recommended TPlink is cheap.

New Asus Wi-Fi 6E routers are unlikely. Get ready for $700 beta tester membership with Wi-Fi 7 models.

Probably, but I still would need to buy a new router, which I would prefer to be an Asus rather than the recommended tplink. On the other hand, the recommended TPlink is cheap.
Can't you plug in an AP into your ASUS router and put it on a different wireless channel? I assume the ASUS routers have a switch chip for the 4 ports in them. The AP could be anything including another ASUS old router setup as an AP. I would recommend Cisco but that is just me.

You would need to determine whether you need a separate SSID or not. And whether you can run it as a second AP or a dedicated AP as it depends on your location to the router and how many connections. You can test all that.

Last edited:
I can, I have an older AC asus router but I don't think it's good enough for VR. Other than that guess I'll buy the TP and use it as an access point

What's your main router? TP-Link Archer AXE75 is actually excellent price/performance AIO router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!