What's new

4G AC68U guest network in aimesh?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rokkenrolli

New Around Here
Hi,

I have bought the 4G AC68U to use as my primary router, I also bought the RT-AC66U B1 to use as a repeater in aimesh mode.
I have lots of smart devices that use guest network and I would like to extend the guest network range, but it seems it can't be done?
I noticed in the AC66U B1 guest network settings there was an option to share with nodes or just router, but I can't see this option in the 4G AC68U.
Does this mean I could share the guest network through aimesh from RT-AC66U B1to 4G AC68U, but not the other way around?

Tried also to make wifi isolated so I could maybe use that instead of guest wifi, but the wifi is not isolated, I can still see other devices in the isolated wifi.

Last edited:
So the router needs to be updated to aimesh 2.0 (386 and later) to support guest network expansion, but 4G AC68U is likely to not have aimesh 2.0 in the short term, at least I have not seen them release test firmware for this.

Ok, this is not good :( Should have done more research before, the 4G AC68U was not that cheap vs the 66U B1 that I just bought to be the node.

@Yota do you know if the wlan is possible to be isolated so it could be used like a guest network replacement? This would be sufficient for my needs, I did not manage to get the isolation to work as I tried.

@Yota do you know if the wlan is possible to be isolated so it could be used like a guest network replacement? This would be sufficient for my needs, I did not manage to get the isolation to work as I tried.

Guest WLANs and/or WiFi AP Isolate[ion] only works properly on the main router, unless you use AiMesh 2.0 firmware.

OE

Checking this thread may help you, but please note that I do not intend to continue to support this thread, so you do what you do.

However, I think it would be a better solution to return the 4G-AC68U and purchase an RT-AC86U (not the 68U).

Checking this thread may help you, but please note that I do not intend to continue to support this thread, so you do what you do.

However, I think it would be a better solution to return the 4G-AC68U and purchase an RT-AC86U (not the 68U).

Thank you for your help! I think I will stick to the 4G-AC68U as the 4G is my only source for internet. I found a cheap used RT-AC68U (yes 68U), as this should support the aimesh 2.0, I will keep the 4G as a modem and stick the RT AC68U on that. Then I should be able to use the guest network in the mesh system.

Maybe someday there will be update for the 4G AC68U, then I can release the RT68U for the mesh usage.

Thank you all for support,
This thread can be closed.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!