What's new

4k Stream Can you please check?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Smokie

Regular Contributor
Ok guys so I just finished watching the xbox game showcase on YouTube and it was streaming in 1080p but as soon as it finishes all the game clips upload in 4k.
I tried to watch them on my Samsung 4k tv connected on the 5ghz wifi and it stutters like mad! It aint watchable. Drop it down to 1440p and its as smooth as butter.

Is this just me or is there something I am missing? My router is in the sitting room and no more than 30 foot from the tv so there should be no reason this is happening.
I can't watch any 4k clips. My laptops aint 4k so I can't test on them. I never had this issue on the RT-AC5300 so I'm wondering if its the AX side of things?

It may not be you, it may be YouTube or your ISP or both.

Find another source to test from, preferably from within your network.

Last edited:
You shouldn't have an issue streaming 4k wirelessly.

I'd check the 5Ghz band usage in your area. You might be in a congested band.

Scan, using an app you can download on your phone. And if need be, manually select a 5Ghz band that is least congested.

I found the WiFi connection in my Samsung TV to be flaky at the best of times - Plex constantly popping up connection speed warnings even though it's in the same room as the router.
Even though I think the network port on it is 100Mb/s (at least that's what it negotiates at) and the TV was connected to the 5GHz band which should be a lot quicker in theory, it was still a night and day difference in stability when I plugged the cable in. No such issues with any other wireless device in my house.

I would say try watching the same videos on a laptop anyway. You should still be able to select 4K playback even if it's not a 4K display.

Ok so just a quick update. I tried watching a 4K movie from my NAS last night and the same thing was happening. Tried again today while the house was a bit quite and it worked from the nas and YouTube. My son just started playing call of duty online and I’m back to both the nas and YouTube streams stuttering. I have 500M into the house and never had a need to turn on QOS but I tried it anyway and it’s still the same.
My Sony 4K tv in the sitting that is hardwired into the router us the same.
I’ll look into the 5ghz channels for congestion but I’m thinking it can’t handle online gaming and 4K streaming at the same time for some weird reason.

Hardwired is always better. QoS does not do much especially when it is incorrectly configurated.

Stuttering is most likely due to unstable, continuous connection or the router's inability to stream multiple connections at the same time, especially to devices with weak Wi-Fi strength.

I see what your saying but as I mentioned my Sony tv that is hardwired was also stuttering and unwatchable while the little lad was playing online. Surely a router like this should have no trouble doing multiple streams and gaming sessions? It is a gaming router after all.

4K only requires 15-16 mbps bandwidth. I suspect the demand was just too high on Youtube's servers for the xbox content.

4K only requires 15-16 mbps bandwidth. I suspect the demand was just too high on Youtube's servers for the xbox content.

He is running the 4K stream now from his NAS. The game should not even effect a local stream. The 4K is on the switch at layer 2 and should not even be touching routing at layer 3. The switch is a gig switch which isolates at layer 2. On the surface it sounds like a router programing issue using the switch.

I wonder if hardware acceleration ties to the switch to where layer 2 is not isolated?

@Smokie, it seems your router isn't as stable as it could be. If there are no other suggestions for you, I would be doing a full reset (M&M Config + Nuclear Reset) on your router/network.

If the issue continues then, I will suspect a hardware issue is a root cause.

For the guides mentioned above, please see the link in my signature below.

The following link will also make sure to fully reset the network/router and allow the expected defaults to be used by the router after it is back to a good/known state.

One suggestion I can make before you do the above is to fully power down your network. Physically unplug the modem/ONT, router, switches, and all client devices too for at least 20 minutes (and preferably an hour or more). This means to unplug not just the power adaptor from the equipment, but also, all LAN cables, USB cables, and unplugging the adaptors themselves from the AC wall plug too (or the UPS box and then power down the UPS too).

After the equipment has been off/unplugged for up to an hour or more, plug in the modem/ONT, wait for it to fully boot up (5 minutes). Plugin the router, connect the WAN cable, and let it also fully boot up too (an additional 5 minutes).

Then, connect any remaining LAN cables between switches, desktop client devices, NAS, etc. and power them all up too.

Wait a good 15 minutes after everything is fully connected/power up and then test once again. Who knows? You may get lucky and not need to do the M&M Config/Nuclear Reset dance.

HTH. :)

@Smokie, it seems your router isn't as stable as it could be. If there are no other suggestions for you, I would be doing a full reset (M&M Config + Nuclear Reset) on your router/network.

If the issue continues then, I will suspect a hardware issue is a root cause.

For the guides mentioned above, please see the link in my signature below.

The following link will also make sure to fully reset the network/router and allow the expected defaults to be used by the router after it is back to a good/known state.

One suggestion I can make before you do the above is to fully power down your network. Physically unplug the modem/ONT, router, switches, and all client devices too for at least 20 minutes (and preferably an hour or more). This means to unplug not just the power adaptor from the equipment, but also, all LAN cables, USB cables, and unplugging the adaptors themselves from the AC wall plug too (or the UPS box and then power down the UPS too).

After the equipment has been off/unplugged for up to an hour or more, plug in the modem/ONT, wait for it to fully boot up (5 minutes). Plugin the router, connect the WAN cable, and let it also fully boot up too (an additional 5 minutes).

Then, connect any remaining LAN cables between switches, desktop client devices, NAS, etc. and power them all up too.

Wait a good 15 minutes after everything is fully connected/power up and then test once again. Who knows? You may get lucky and not need to do the M&M Config/Nuclear Reset dance.

HTH. :)

Thanks for your suggestions, I will do a full power down as suggested tomorrow and test. Hopefully this will fix the issue. If I was to go the full nuclear reset could I keep my wifi name so my devices will all connect and I don't have to configure every little device. Some of them are a nightmare.

Also guys is there anything in the log file that might in point to something? I have noticed now in the last day that some devices are dropping off the wifi and coming back online after a minute, iPhones and Macbook.

If you don't use a never used (ever) by any of your devices SSID, it isn't a Nuclear Reset. :)

Of course, you can follow the steps you want, but if you do want/need to do it again 'properly' it is necessary to do 'everything' again. To me, therefore it is easier to simply blow everything away and really start fresh.

Hope the full power down works for you though!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!