What's new

5-port Gig Switch tested with NetIQ Chariot Throughtput Benchmarks

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tipstir

Very Senior Member
Tim,

What do you think of these results for unmanaged 5-port Gig Switch?

NetIQ Chariot Throughtput Benchmarks
4 PC's Full Duplex - 512 MB packets - Total 2602 Mbit/s
4 PC's Full Duplex - 512 MB packets - Paar 1 655 Mbit/s
4 PC's Full Duplex - 512 MB packets - Paar 2 693 Mbit/s
4 PC's Full Duplex - 512 MB packets - Paar 3 703 Mbit/s
4 PC's Full Duplex - 512 MB packets - Paar 4 693 Mbit/s
4 PC's Full Duplex - 4 kB packets - Totaal 525 Mbit/s
4 PC's Full Duplex - 4 kB packets - Paar 1 132 Mbit/s
4 PC's Full Duplex - 4 kB packets - Paar 2 130 Mbit/s
4 PC's Full Duplex - 4 kB packets - Paar 3 138 Mbit/s

Unless you are testing with a SmartBits or other system capable of fully exercising a multiport gigabit switch, I'd say that you are testing the computers and not the switch.

Unless you are testing with a SmartBits or other system capable of fully exercising a multiport gigabit switch, I'd say that you are testing the computers and not the switch.

So the results would be different than testing systems. Okay tell me this? If the GS605 doesn't have heatsink on the Chipset and GS106 has heatsink/metal case would that reduce heat better on the Chipset right? But what if the plastic case mode did have heatsink on chipset then it would reduce it or not?

I am getting failure rate on the GS605 with very hot heat build up and getting one duff port (3) goes from 1000/mb/s to 100/mb/s. I have to unplug the switch and re-plug it back for the problem to go away. Netgear forum tells me the Gig models with the plastic have heat issues.

Last edited:
The object is to remove heat from the die. A heatsink helps the thermal transfer by increasing the effective surface area of the metal "radiator" part of the chip package. But if there is not enough air exchange, all that happens is that the heat gets transferred to the air in the enclosure, which heats up and inhibits further heat transfer.

If the heatsink is efficiently thermally coupled to the switch enclosure, then it can act as a secondary heatsink. Air coupling isn't very efficient, but will still be some transfer. And a metal case will probably dissapate heat faster then a plastic one.

So the combination of no heatsink on the switch chip and a plastic case isn't good. But if both the plastic and metal case products had heatsinks interally, and if both had equivalent openings for airflow, the difference between plastic and metal case probably wouldn't be significant.

The object is to remove heat from the die. A heatsink helps the thermal transfer by increasing the effective surface area of the metal "radiator" part of the chip package. But if there is not enough air exchange, all that happens is that the heat gets transferred to the air in the enclosure, which heats up and inhibits further heat transfer.

If the heatsink is efficiently thermally coupled to the switch enclosure, then it can act as a secondary heatsink. Air coupling isn't very efficient, but will still be some transfer. And a metal case will probably dissapate heat faster then a plastic one.

So the combination of no heatsink on the switch chip and a plastic case isn't good. But if both the plastic and metal case products had heatsinks interally, and if both had equivalent openings for airflow, the difference between plastic and metal case probably wouldn't be significant.

Right! Makes more sense the way you explain it. Now I know that the GS605 doesn't have heatsink thus heat is a problem. Heatsink is on these models NetGear FS105, HP Pro Curve 1400, DLINK DGS-1008D and TP-LINK TL-SG1005D (26.99) one of the lowest of the bunch buy yet the quickest.

Right! Makes more sense the way you explain it. Now I know that the GS605 doesn't have heatsink thus heat is a problem. Heatsink is on these models NetGear FS105, HP Pro Curve 1400, DLINK DGS-1008D and TP-LINK TL-SG1005D (26.99) one of the lowest of the bunch buy yet the quickest.

Tipstir

Have the DGS-1008D and TP-Link held up well for you?

I'm always on the look out for good quality network hardware that doesn't cost an arm or leg. Also, you said the TP-Link was the fastest, how do you evaluate your network hardware (NICs, Switches, Routers)?

Thanks

The first post is the TP-LINK results found a site that tested pretty much the most common ones, but they also tell you which one has what inside. Netgear forum was unaware of the heat issues in the gig switch..

f41053dc1514d8f4241c4dbf45dc75f74g.jpg

Shown to the left is the GIG and to the right is the FAST(100) both made by Netgear. I have 7x switches running here all made by Netgear resent purchases 2007/2008. 4x Pro-Safe are use also. But they're expensive (Pro-Safe) if you can get them on sell then you're okay. GIG ones are more prone to overheating since there is not hinksink in there. Which makes them shutdown more. Most average home users might not even notice the issue but if you're using it like I am using then you'll notice heavy duty packet traffic. Users on Amazon and Newegg report the same issues

TP-LINK looks like this... Not much to look at but still cheap and can be mounted on the wall since it has mounting screw holes. I don't know what type of packet buffer is in there but I did some checking on the twain sites could be 144KB for memory buffers. I use a program called NetworkView that can pretty much tell you what type of chipset or where the chipset/PCB was made by.

NSW-TL5GIG.jpg

I would have to buy two of them to work together to get the same overhaul performance If the GS605 still acts up on me again.

I don't have DGS-1008D nor TL-SG1005D as of yet. I won't buy DLINK just price too high and prior switches always gave me issues with over heating and thus they had metal case. I still have it, and it's extremely fast switch with 3 link LEDs for each port. TP-LINK beats the DGS-1008D which gets 4 PC's Full Duplex - 512 MB packets - Totaal 2567 Mbit/s. I don't know how they tested these switches.

Last edited:
Tipstir

I'm going to have to throw out my GS605's as they keep shutting down when I have more than one gig device connected. :mad:

Funny thing the GS608 seems to work fine in the same scenario. :)

My HP 1400 seems to take all in stride. I can't figure why it would be different...:confused:

Have you seen the TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port 10/100/1000M Gigabit Ethernet Switch?

Last edited:
NSW-TL8GIG.jpg

This one I've seen, don't need to buy it though. I am trying to not to buy more switches. But this GS605 is driving me crazy now you can't even use Port 3. I got ton of Linksys switches, DLINK and all these Netgear ones. I kind of thinking just buy another 50FT CAT5e and run it back to the DLINK DIR-655 or to the other GS605 connected two GIG NICs running Jumbo 7K Frames connected to two Windows Server 2003.

I am only running 4x with GIG, 7x Fast 100, 1x Lexmark Laser E series connected to USB/Fast 100 print server, 2x dd-wrt wireless access points and 4x G54 for wireless. I had looked at the HP Pro Curve you have there it's $66.99 free shipping on NewEgg it has 128MB for RAM and 144KB for packet buffer, but the speed specs are still beaten by TP-LINK switches. The 5-port with shipping would run me $34 bucks and the 8-port is another 10 bucks more. I would like to know what type of packet buffer is in the TP-LINK I can't find that info. TP-LINK makes clones of it switches in the ASIAN market place. If I follow those specs it's going to be the same as DLINK 8-port GIG with 144KB packet buffer.

I did a comparision between HP, DLINK, two Netgear models and TP-LINK Gig switch still comes out on top of the rest.

Note: Those with PoE support - Aantal poorten seem to do slightly better.

4 PC's Full Duplex - 512 MB packets -
Total Graph (dlink Gig) 2567 Mbit/s (tplink) 2602 Mbit/s

4 PC's Full Duplex - 512 MB packets - Total Graph
(hp Pro Curve 140) 2514 Mbit/s (tplink) 2602 Mbit/s

4 PC's Full Duplex - 512 MB packets -
Total Graph (GS605) 2584 Mbit/s (tplink) 2602 Mbit/s

4 PC's Full Duplex - 512 MB packets - Total Graph
(GS108) 2531 Mbit/s (tplink) 2602 Mbit/s

Now look at this one
4 PC's Full Duplex - 512 MB packets - Totaal Graph
(Sweex SW105) 2651 Mbit/s (tplink) 2602 Mbit/s

http://www.sweex.com/documents/SW105/6/SW105_img_pro_a.jpg

Same device just under a different name, but the 8-port version of Sweex ran slower. tplink still beat it with a few other test though. I would still buy tplink.

(3Com Officeconnect 2549 Mbit/s) (tplink) 2602 Mbit/s

Level One GSW-0804
2771 Mbit/s

Wow this one beats Tplink in speed... Internal power but unable to locate the product in the US though. Still tplink seems to be the best choice.

Last edited:
I am ordering tp-link today, I just had enough with GS605 just keep duffing the ports no matter what! I heard that GS105 and GS116 have same also. Pro-safe some have them internal problems.

It'd be cool if you post the internals (derived from NetworkView or opening the case).

It'd be cool if you post the internals (derived from NetworkView or opening the case).

Yeah would be? But I bet it's one of these..

Realtek Gigabit Ethernet single-chip solution
Vitesse Gigabit Ethernet single-chip solution

Packet Memory either 122KB or 144KB

Just have to wait and see...

Okay this is what I did, forgone second gig switch purchased not needed only had two PCs in the SOHO office connected to it anyway. Main switch working perfect it had two ports free so just tap it into now both systems here have there own direct port connect. Just use another 50 foot of Belkin Pro Series CAT 5e cable and call it a day...

Ta da!

If anything else weird happen, which I don't think so? But if it does I'll just buy HP ProCurve 1400 8-port gig switch. Even though the TP-LINK is quicker in packets but the main router has to be of equal speed to send/receive the given packets. So I don't know what testing method was done above, but I do know with the specs in PDF on the HP ProCurve 1400 specs plus lifetime warranty is better than Netgear.

http://www.procurve.com.sg/products/switches/ProCurve_Switch_1400_Series/specs.htm

Okay this is what I did, forgone second gig switch purchased not needed only had two PCs in the SOHO office connected to it anyway. Main switch working perfect it had two ports free so just tap it into now both systems here have there own direct port connect. Just use another 50 foot of Belkin Pro Series CAT 5e cable and call it a day...

Ta da!

If anything else weird happen, which I don't think so? But if it does I'll just buy HP ProCurve 1400 8-port gig switch. Even though the TP-LINK is quicker in packets but the main router has to be of equal speed to send/receive the given packets. So I don't know what testing method was done above, but I do know with the specs in PDF on the HP ProCurve 1400 specs plus lifetime warranty is better than Netgear.

http://www.procurve.com.sg/products/switches/ProCurve_Switch_1400_Series/specs.htm

That's what it took to get the gremlins out of my network. The HP ProCurve 1400 works great and I like the lifetime warranty. When the GS08 dies in the back room I'll replace it with another HP 1400. :D

Still it happens with the one last working GS605 as Gig switch now all 5 ports light up except for mini minee mo ports.. It's like a game of black jack you don't know which port will downgrade to 100mbps. I have to run down to the basement network closet to reset the power to get them back to the where they should be. It's hot to touch. DLINK DIR-655 is normal the other Netgear FS608 okay no problem with two of those and all the pro-safe 100 base.

The HP is on backorder with free next day shipping. TP-LINK Gig switch 5 port one has heating issue, so that's why I've backed off plus still don't know what's inside of it. GS605 I took apart my first one found nothing in there except the Chinese made CPU with no heat sink. That switch will make a good 100mbps with that fat buffer of 128KB.

What a waste of money I had spend on these two Gig switches. I see I am not alone on Netgear Forum GS116 doing the same thing.

Last edited:
Last edited:
For a single PC<>PC transfer (typical usage for home networking) there's only a 2% difference between best and worst performers. I'd say the message there is to care more about price and build quality than performance differences.

For a single PC<>PC transfer (typical usage for home networking) there's only a 2% difference between best and worst performers. I'd say the message there is to care more about price and build quality than performance differences.

I am looking on performance, 150F max heat before it overheats, heat sink, good warranty and the price of these web/managed switches is out for me now. So it has to be unmanaged so why not get the best unmanaged switch you can buy for less than $100 bucks but not to low in quailty.

Overheating (lack of heat sink or poor vent design case)
Bottleneck
Dropping ports
Bad Ports
Downgrading ports from 1000mbps to 100mbp if the switch has more than 2 PCs connected to it.

3Com OfficeConnect 8-gig Switch (3C1670800B) (ending in A has been discounted but the price on that model is $49 much less than B version which is almost $100)
HP Pro Curve 8-gig Switch (1400 series)
SMC SMC8508T EZ 8-gig Switch

Price is about the same range.. $70 to $100 bucks
What you get is a more heavy duty gig switch.
None of these have internal fans all are heat sink.

All are unmanaged switches blow away Dlink, Linksys, Netgear gig switches you see online or at retail store ranges $42 to $59.

I think the best one here is the 3Com OfficeConnect feature wise as it was the only one that was heavy duty can detect which port was using more load handling feature. Ports are in the Rear in this dual function switch.

Last edited:

Found out that TP-LINK PCB is cheap made and solidering is weak they use the cheap older components as was mention by Tim about the TP-LINK Wireless N Router. Everything TP-LINK uses is made by Marvel. Someone online did the work for me..

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!