What's new

5ghz led unnecessarily lit - why?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

shobhitk

Regular Contributor
For the time being i have disabled the 5ghz radio. but still the 5ghz led glows. why is it so? is it a bug?

For the time being i have disabled the 5ghz radio. but still the 5ghz led glows. why is it so? is it a bug?

Do you have an RT-N66U or an RT-AC66U? This was a bug on the RT-AC66U that Asus has since fixed for the next firmware release.

i have the rt-n66u. the above link clearly describes the issue. i hope Asus fixes it in the next firmware update.

I have the 178 firmware and if I disable the radio the LED is not lit.

Not sure if it matters but I cleared nvram and redid my config manually after upgrade.

what is the difference between resetting the modem through the Reset button (pressing for 5 secs.) and clearing the nvram via the 30-30-30 method?

30-30-30 is really not needed for this router.

Maybe if you were running DD-WRT but not with stock firmware.

I just go to this page:

http://192.168.1.1/Main_AdmStatus_Content.asp

Once on the page type: mtd-erase -d nvram

Push Enter on keyboard and after I see the confirmation that the nvram was erased I reboot the router then proceed with setup.

wow where did this window come from?? is this some hidden admin. terminal or is it normal for these kind of routers to have a command prompt type system?

wow where did this window come from?? is this some hidden admin. terminal or is it normal for these kind of routers to have a command prompt type system?

It's there so when Asus's tech support need to have you run a command on the router, they can direct you to its URL.

Erased nvram and LED still always on

I erased the nvram with this method, rebooted the router and went through the set up again and the LED indicator for the radio is still always on when it is disabled in the settings. The previous bug work around of un-checking all the weekend and weekday schedule boxes for a particular radio keeps its LED turned off.

Last edited:
thanks for the info Merlin.

@socalreviews welcome aboard :) saw your earlier post on this issue. lets hope Asus fixes this minor bug soon.

shobhitk, You too...welcome to the forum. My specific reason for joining this forum was to post and see if anyone else had an explanation for this apparent radio LED bug in the .178 firmware. Since joining I have chimed in on a few other threads as well. :)

Last edited:
me too...very co-operative community!
btw thanks for sharing the temporary bug workaround. i can confirm that this temp. fix switches off the 5ghz led.

Last edited:
I am happy to be able to contribute even if it means simply helping to turn off a small light in someone's life that is persistently annoying them. :D

Hi there,

My 2,4 Ghz LED is also on though disabled 2,4 GHz WLAN.

Maybe this isn't a bug but a feature for easier detecting the Dark Knight in the dark... :D:rolleyes:

Hi there,

My 2,4 Ghz LED is also on though disabled 2,4 GHz WLAN.

Maybe this isn't a bug but a feature for easier detecting the Dark Knight in the dark... :D:rolleyes:

I concluded the same issue... It effects both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radios. I am guessing it was only reported at first for the 5Ghz radio LED because most people leave the 2.4Ghz radio on all the time. Can we call it a "firefly" instead of a bug?

Stay positive N66U users. While I may have lost some sleep and suffered minor anxiety over this issue I'm not too worried. There is always the weekday and weekend work around. If the next official firmware doesn't solve it maybe Merlin will work a fix into his next major build. ;)

Last edited:
If you use Merlin's latest build, RM15, that will also appear in the Tools/Run Cmd tab. That's one of the reasons we think Merlin is so freaking cool. :cool:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!