What's new

RT-AX86U - no connections through switch (all of a sudden)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

delikid

New Around Here
HARDWARE:
  • ASUS RT-AX86U (FW: RT-AX86U_388.5_0)
  • TP-Link TL-SG116 16 Port Gigabit Switch (Unmanaged)
A few days ago I lost connection to my printer connected to the switch. The LED light was still showing traffic. So, I switched to a different port. It lit up and I tried again. No connection. I unplugged the switch, powered it up, and all connections lit up. No connection to the printer. I connected the printer directly to the ASUS router and it came online. Upon checking further, nothing connected through the switch is online. I tried several other devices connected directly to the router and they came online. I changed the ethernet cable (CAT6) to a new cable. Still no connection through the switch.

I hope someone smarter than me can advise me:
  1. I purchased this switch in 2020. It it typical for these switches to only last a few years?
  2. Is there something else I could try re-configuring on the router to see if there's an issue in my router setup?
Thank you for any wisdom you can share!

If you have swapped Ethernet cables from the router to the TP-Link TL-SG116. If you have swapped network ports on the TP-Link TL-SG116 that is connected to the router. And if you connect a PC or other network device to the same port on the router that the TP-Link TL-SG116 was connected to and that PC or device works. Then you likely have a problem with the TP-Link TL-SG116 itself. Could be the power adapter on the TP-Link TL-SG116 is going bad. Could be one or more of the network port on the TP-Link TL-SG116 is going bad.

With the TP-Link TL-SG116 connected to the router, are PC's and other network devices connected to the TP-Link TL-SG116 obtaining an IP address from the router? Can those devices on the TP-Link TL-SG116 see and access (or ping) other devices connected to the TP-Link TL-SG116?

If you have swapped Ethernet cables from the router to the TP-Link TL-SG116. If you have swapped network ports on the TP-Link TL-SG116 that is connected to the router. And if you connect a PC or other network device to the same port on the router that the TP-Link TL-SG116 was connected to and that PC or device works. Then you likely have a problem with the TP-Link TL-SG116 itself. Could be the power adapter on the TP-Link TL-SG116 is going bad. Could be one or more of the network port on the TP-Link TL-SG116 is going bad.

With the TP-Link TL-SG116 connected to the router, are PC's and other network devices connected to the TP-Link TL-SG116 obtaining an IP address from the router? Can those devices on the TP-Link TL-SG116 see and access (or ping) other devices connected to the TP-Link TL-SG116?

Thanks! I replaced the switch with a Cisco CBS110-16T and everything is back to normal.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!