What's new

7 Servers that need storage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mkyb14

New Around Here
To begin, I made a boo boo. Bought a Drobo Elite thinking that we could use it attached to the switch using the Microsoft iSCSI initiator on each server to have the drobo show as a attached drive.

I soon found out that is not an option, so sharing out the drobo from one of the servers as \\serverbak\Drobo was the only other option. The drobo was formatted as one massive 16TB drive so that it can grow as newer drives expanded its space.

I then find out that SQL server cannot write to a drive share and needs it to be attached to the machine so it mounts as a local drive.

So I am at the point of asking what product fills the need for having 7ish servers writing data to a NAS that I can make show up on each machine as a drive?

Server 1: Exchange 2005 (backup domain controller)
Server 2: Sire (document scanner, Blackberry Enterprise Server, SQL Server)
Server 3: Yardi accounting app / webserver for yardi
Server 4: Oasis Netphone
Server 4: Serverbak (has drobo attached via network switch & iSCSI)
Server 5: Citrix (old machine, has older accounting data on it)
Server 6: VMWARE test
Server 7: Apps (domain controller, Active directory, DNS etc)

Any favorites among the community? I spent about 3k on the Drobo which I can return and put toward a different machine. I just like the fact that is was dead simple to add space to.

Thanks in advance to any suggestions to my little mess-up!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!