What's new

$80-100 suggestions please...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tommls

New Around Here
for a good wireless router
a/b/g/n type router is fine

Less than $80 is good too.

Must have POWERFUL RANGE!!
Must also offer guest wireless or guest vlan or something similar!!

Must be able to transmit through 1-2 walls, I *think* they are drywall/wood type stuff, to iPad about 15-20 feet away on the other side of the walls, current refurb netgear R6250ac is not doing this, nor it is transmitting well through ONE wall to outdoors front porch, sigh...

I will set it about 5 feet off the floor.

Thank you, Tom

if you don't mind something like an 80-120usd range, the Asus N66U aka N66R sounds like exactly what you're looking for, if you need both 2.4ghz and 5ghz

if you don't mind something like an 80-120usd range, the Asus N66U aka N66R sounds like exactly what you're looking for, if you need both 2.4ghz and 5ghz

Do you recall if it provides a guest network or a guest VLAN??
We have visitors for whom we want to provide this...
Thank you...

the router has guest wifi capabilities built into the web interface that separate connected clients from the rest of the network, up to 3 guest APs per band. if you install asuswrt-merlin, additional cnfiguration can be done through scripts to separate the 3rd and/or 4th wired ports. this can be done with tagged and untagged vlans.

the guest APs are separated using ebtables, so they retain the same subnet as the rest of the network, but without access. if you won't need vlan TAGGING, i'd advise doing the same with the wired ports.

i've actually posted a guide on the forum as an example of how this is done, though i created it with the intention of utilizing a different subnet for the vlans. now, i think this is quite unnecessary and suggest following Asus' example with their guest wifi APs.

Thank you...that n66u is pricy even on amazon...do you perhaps know if the asus n56u have approximately the same guest wifi capabilities???

I only need one 'regular' 'internal' wifi SSID and one 'guest' SSID...and let ebtables do the work...

Thank you, Tom

Thank you, I think I will get the 56u...

Walls are as follows, signal must get through these two parallel walls on each side of the hall

wall #1: old lathe & plaster on house side.. - 1" board on other side -- so 2 inches wood
wall #2: THEN 4' hall and a wall that is 1" wood on both sides -- so 2 inches wood

I probably need to try pointing the current router straight AT the wall, current one is perpendicular to the wall #1 and about 4-5 feet in front of wall #1

current router is a refurb netgear r6250ac router...which is not performing as well as it should...

Thank you, Tom

Last edited:
it really sounds to me like external antennas would be in your best interest, otherwise you're going to be playing with it a bit. perhaps a single band solution with external antennas would suit you better. i noticed after posting there was a similar thread as this started today, i'd reconsider looking at their options

I take it you're suggesting I can point the different antennas around to improve how well the router works??

I saw that similar thread, it is an ASUS RT-N12...I think there is also an n16 model...
I must research if either or both offer guest wireless though.

Thank you, Tom

I take it you're suggesting I can point the different antennas around to improve how well the router works??

I saw that similar thread, it is an ASUS RT-N12...I think there is also an n16 model...
I must research if either or both offer guest wireless though.

Thank you, Tom

If you can squeeze out the extra money, I think that you'll be happier with the RT-N66U longer term. Has strong 5GHz. capability for the future, when you get tired of the interference on the 2.4GHz.

And I would give you a big thumbs down on the Asus RT-N56U...weak 5GHz., just about useless here.

Last edited:
sinshiva,

can you provide the link where you have directions/explain on how to change 3rd and 4th wired ports?

thanks

If you can squeeze out the extra money, I think that you'll be happier with the RT-N66U longer term. Has strong 5GHz. capability for the future, when you get tired of the interference on the 2.4GHz.

And I would give you a big thumbs down on the Asus RT-N56U...weak 5GHz., just about useless here.

I ordered an N66U - 900 via Amazon then saw there is a newer version that is 1750 -- we're not using AC now...mainly a/b/g/n...

I don't think it should make any difference that I bought the older version??????????

The distances we need it to work are all under 30 feet, it's just the walls that are the problem...

Thank you, Tom

Last edited: