What's new

802.1q on wan possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wiz

Regular Contributor
I am in the process of moving to a different fiber provider. Due to the fact they do iptv as well they will provide me with a zyxel router. Offcourse they give users the opportunity to hook up their own routers, but as support on it you are on your own.

Their setup requires the following:

802.1q on the wan interface. They say I need to do a dhcp on vlan4 for the iptv lan, and dhcp on vlan134 for internet traffic on the wan interface

I've looked at the iptv tab, but it is not clear to me if it would be possible to configure my asus rt-n66u in order to get internet working.

Is it just a matter of setting iptv to manual, set one of the ethernet ports to vlan4 and internet to vlan134 and set the route for iptv and set igmp snooping to on and igmp proxy on and it will work or is this not possible at all?

If this is anything like the Google Fiber setup, you'll need VLAN tagging. Which is a feature available on Tomato and DD-WRT, but I'm not sure about AsusWrt-Merlin...

(I currently using DD-WRT, but it doesn't have hardware acceleration, and it doesn't look like the firmwares that do hw-accel support VLAN and CoS tagging.)

There's some VLAN tagging possible under the IPTV tab. no idea if it will be flexible enough for your needs, or what you will need to actually enter there - I have no first-hand experience with Internet access requiring VLAN tagging.

There's some VLAN tagging possible under the IPTV tab. no idea if it will be flexible enough for your needs, or what you will need to actually enter there - I have no first-hand experience with Internet access requiring VLAN tagging.

For Google Fiber, WAN traffic needs to be VLAN-tagged with a VID of 2 and outbound traffic needs to also be marked with a CoS (vlan-qos) of 2.

I don't actually have an Asus 11ac router, but I've been seriously thinking about getting one (I'm currently running DD-WRT on an old D-Link 825--it works, but its WAN routing performance is only about 250Mbps--but it's worth it to escape the horrrrrible feature set of the Google-supplied router), so I've only looked at screenshots to see what the firmware can do, and I didn't see anything of interest in the IPTV tab. But after reading your post, I've done a search for more screenshots of the IPTV tab, and I see now that there's a "Manual" configuration that lets me set the VID and PRIO of WAN traffic?

Anyway, the second part of the requirements, marking the CoS of outbound traffic, is accomplished by putting something like "vconfig set_egress_map vlan2 0 3" into a startup script, so if the PRIO configuration of that tab does something like that, then maybe I can get it to work without having to sacrifice the hardware accel.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
I am in the process of moving to a different fiber provider. Due to the fact they do iptv as well they will provide me with a zyxel router. Offcourse they give users the opportunity to hook up their own routers, but as support on it you are on your own.

Their setup requires the following:

802.1q on the wan interface. They say I need to do a dhcp on vlan4 for the iptv lan, and dhcp on vlan134 for internet traffic on the wan interface

I've looked at the iptv tab, but it is not clear to me if it would be possible to configure my asus rt-n66u in order to get internet working.

Is it just a matter of setting iptv to manual, set one of the ethernet ports to vlan4 and internet to vlan134 and set the route for iptv and set igmp snooping to on and igmp proxy on and it will work or is this not possible at all?

your last paragraph is correct as far as I know. my ISP requires pppoe VLAN3265 so I just set the internet VID to 3265 and input the proper settings into the WAN section and it works. I don't have IPTV so I don't know for sure but it sounds plausible.

thanks guys, I'll wait until it is delivered and will report back here. As far as I've searched the www it should indeed be a matter of putting the iptv setting to manual and set the vlan for internet and for iptv to one of the ethernet ports and we are good to go..

They say it needed that for iptv, but all I want from them is internet so I did not subscribe to the iptv package, so I think when it arrives and engineer has hooked up their router I will only configure the vlan for internet, seems stupid to configure the iptv vlan and loose an ethernet port that will never get used otherwise :)

Last edited:
I have got google fiber(5 mb/s down for free) and an asus rt ac68 with merlin firmware.

Using the IPTV settings under manual, I set the internet vlan ID to 2 and prio to 2. It is connecting and speedtests show download speeds of 5 mb/s. However the Upload test on speedtest.net fails every other time. So, not sure about the prio setting.

If I had the Gb/s connection and if prio was not set correctly it would be limiting speeds to 10 mb/s, which obviously I can't see.

There is a write-up at
http://flyovercountry.org/2014/02/google-fiber-gigabit-speeds-your-router-part-1-vlans/
that is very useful.

Is there a way I can manually check the 802.1q bit? It would be nice to check things, I am not sure how to do that yet.

I have got google fiber(5 mb/s down for free) and an asus rt ac68 with merlin firmware.

Using the IPTV settings under manual, I set the internet vlan ID to 2 and prio to 2. It is connecting and speedtests show download speeds of 5 mb/s. However the Upload test on speedtest.net fails every other time. So, not sure about the prio setting.

If I had the Gb/s connection and if prio was not set correctly it would be limiting speeds to 10 mb/s, which obviously I can't see.

There is a write-up at
http://flyovercountry.org/2014/02/google-fiber-gigabit-speeds-your-router-part-1-vlans/
that is very useful.

Is there a way I can manually check the 802.1q bit? It would be nice to check things, I am not sure how to do that yet.

I had seen that writeup, which I don't really like because it's geared towards a very specific setup with pfSense and a separate managed switch (egads!) for VLAN tagging. Which really isn't necessary, since you can use vconfig to set up the tagging and the CoS marking.

Google actually has documentation for using their Fiber service without their Network Box (they provide this because schools that get the Fiber service probably want to use their own equipment instead of the consumer-grade Google stuff). Their documentation outlines what you need (though it's missing the vconfig command to set up the CoS marking).

indeed it was setting vlan to 34 and away we go. The configuration for iptv (vlan 4) would not have worked, but since I don't have it I don't need to bother with it :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!