What's new

87u, multifunction issue with communication

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Allograft

Regular Contributor
I've got an AC87u running 5134. Environment has mostly Mac's on either 10.9 or 10.10, several iPhones on iOS 7 or 8, Samsung tablet on Lollipop, iPad on iOS8, HP Win 7 lappy on 2.4 GHz, an old Toshiba XP tablet on 2.4 GHz, and an HP 8600 multifunction printer/scanner.

2.4 and 5 GHz network have same SSID. I know we're all frustrated with 87u, but overall it works pretty well. Most of my devices attach to network easily, roam back forth across 2.4 and 5 and pretty good throughput.

However, I have an issue with the HP 8600, which only has 2.4. Basically, the other machines aren't able to communicate with the 8600. It shows up on the web GUI as being on the 2.4 network, but no joy in trying to connect. So, I have to restart the 87u pretty much daily in order for other devices to be able to communicate with the printer/scanner. I had tried uninstalling and reinstalling firmware on printer and on computers, but the restarting of the router does the trick every time, so that is definitely the issue. I have 2.4 b/g protection on, and it happens regardless, though at least with 2.4 b/g protection on, I get about a day's use out of it as opposed to multiple restarts.

This happens with PC's are on both 2.4 and 5

Any thoughts or just wait for future updates?

Why are you running an old beta?

I recommend flashing the latest RMerlin firmware version 378.55 and do a full reset to factory defaults followed by a manual and minimal configuration to secure the router and connect to your ISP.

I believe that 5134 is the current official, non-beta, non-Japan f/w available from Asus. I don't run betas, and I understand the general sentiment that the Japan only f/w can be used for any country and are likely out there for some additional testing before a general release, but I prefer just general release because networking is not an area of expertise of mine.

What build is the latest Merlin fashioned on?

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-378-55-is-now-available.25874/

Read the first post by RMerlin to see what fixes it includes and what backports and version it is based on.

For a router that is receiving many firmware versions because it is still relatively new, your position of ignoring new versions (even betas) is not the best, especially when you're having issues.

Not all issues or fixed problems are reported on the firmware changelogs. And by creating a backup config file of your current settings, it is very easy to simply flash back to your old firmware (make sure you have it handy before flashing the new version) and continue from where you are now. (If the problems with a new firmware are worse than what you face now).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!