What's new

8TB Network Drive only shows up as 4TB

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Crazy Horse

New Around Here
I got a brand new WRT3200ACM router. It works great, but when I connect a Seagate 8TB drive to it, the computers only recognize it as a 4TB drive.

To summarize:

1. The router is a WRT3200ACM.

2. The drive is a Seagate STEL8000100 8TB drive

3. The drive is formatted with NTFS.

4. When I connect the drive directly to the USB port of a computer, it is recognized as an 8TB drive

5. When I connect the drive to the USB port at the back of the router so that I can use it as network storage, then all the computers on my network only recognize it as a 4TB drive (exporer says 3.7ish TB available). This happens regardless of whether I connect it to the USB3 or the USB2/ESATA ports on the back of the router.

6. The external storage menu on the router page gives an error "Unsupported partition or dive mapping detected."

So, bottom line is that the drive works as network storage, but at half the capacity. Clearly the drive is fine because it works at 8TB when connected directly, but the router is misinterpreting the drive or having trouble dealing with it.

Linksys chat suggested I reformat the drive. Didn't help.

Any suggestions? I mean it works, but I paid extra for the 8TB and would realy like to use the full capacity lol..

Thanks!

I got a brand new WRT3200ACM router. It works great, but when I connect a Seagate 8TB drive to it, the computers only recognize it as a 4TB drive.

To summarize:

1. The router is a WRT3200ACM.

2. The drive is a Seagate STEL8000100 8TB drive

3. The drive is formatted with NTFS.

4. When I connect the drive directly to the USB port of a computer, it is recognized as an 8TB drive

5. When I connect the drive to the USB port at the back of the router so that I can use it as network storage, then all the computers on my network only recognize it as a 4TB drive (exporer says 3.7ish TB available). This happens regardless of whether I connect it to the USB3 or the USB2/ESATA ports on the back of the router.

6. The external storage menu on the router page gives an error "Unsupported partition or dive mapping detected."

So, bottom line is that the drive works as network storage, but at half the capacity. Clearly the drive is fine because it works at 8TB when connected directly, but the router is misinterpreting the drive or having trouble dealing with it.

Linksys chat suggested I reformat the drive. Didn't help.

Any suggestions? I mean it works, but I paid extra for the 8TB and would realy like to use the full capacity lol..

Thanks!
Sounds like a driver partition size or block size (max # blocks) issue. How about partitioning into 2 4TB partitions or re-format with a larger block size ?

Thanks! I was thinking about something like that myself.

a) If I test out the block size approach first, what block size would you recommend? I just left it at the default when I did the formatting.

b) If I split the drive into two 4TB partitions, would I be able to map a drive to each 4TB partition individually? Never done this before, so sorry if this is a noob question.

Thanks!

Problem solved, thank you degrub!

I split the 8TB drive into two 4TB partitions. Now, I can assign a letter to each of the partitions and each of them shows 3.6+ TBs. Looks like the router may have problems with very large drives, so the solution is to partition it into smaller chunks.

Problem solved, thank you degrub!

I split the 8TB drive into two 4TB partitions. Now, I can assign a letter to each of the partitions and each of them shows 3.6+ TBs. Looks like the router may have problems with very large drives, so the solution is to partition it into smaller chunks.

or double or quadruple the block size. Either way works. Splitting will be way faster though.