What's new

A little confused on Asus Routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tsunami2311

and there naming
AX58U is Tri core 1.5gz abd 4 attenna 2x2
AX56U is Quad core 1.5 ghz 2 attenna 2x2

Both are AX Both are with 10$ of each other. And I look to buy one them thing I confused on which one higher end one? is it AX56U with it quad core and 2 antenna ? or the AX58U with tri core 4 antenna?

I gona replace my Sagemcom Fast 5260 with one of the 2 in hopes of I get better wifi coverage extra 15 feet and 25% better siginal would be great, Both should me more then sufficient to push 500+ mbit with QOS running and have no bottle necks when there an actual load on router, cause Fast 5260 is utter crap all it takes is one person to be streaming or downloading to see thing slow down on the whole network.

Quad Core seem more future proof for ISP speed upgrades Tri Core seem like might be better coverage cause it 4 antenna.

Both are 2x2 which means AX56u is handling 2 channel 1 antenna and 2 on other?? and AX58U is handing 1 channel per antenna?

I am trying to avoid doing 2nd router as extender just for the wifi, cause that just another thing to trouble shoot when thing go wrong. worse case scenario I would use the fast 5260 as repeater in middle of the house seeing the main router is corner of the house due to the need to run wires threw walls and celling to run Ethernet cables to devices that need it it. as such the router is where those devices are and isnt gona move.

Correcting my original post

The Asus RT-AX56U is based on a Broadcom BCM6755. 2x2 MIMO on both bands, with theoretical max link speeds of 574 and 1201 Mb/s.

The Asus RT-AX58U is based on Broadcom BCM6750. 2x2 MIMO on both bands, but higher theoretical max link speed of 2402 Mb/s by using 160 MHz channels (not really usable at this point, though).

[Redacted misinformation] I'd lean more towards the AX88U for Merlin support. But if that's too rich (understandable), then just stick with a AC68U or AC86U on a proven Merlin firmware train.

Last edited:
I’m using a RT-AX58U right now. There are a few differences in the two. 56U top speed is half of the 58U because it doesn’t support 160mhz channels being the main one I think. Mine covers 2000 sq. Ft. easily, strong signal, AX clients work, solid router and BB has it for $159. There are a couple of people on here who have them also who like them. No Merlin but the stock firmware is good.

The Asus RT-AX56U is based on a Broadcom BCM6755. 2x2 MIMO on both bands, with theoretical max link speeds of 574 and 1201 Mb/s.

The Asus RT-AX58U is based on Intel Lantiq WAV654. 2x2 MIMO on both bands, but higher theoretical max link speed of 2402 Mb/s by using 160 MHz channels (not really usable at this point, though).

Considering their development history trends more towards a relationship/reliance on BCM, I'd lean towards the AX56U. But with no Merlin support, I'd lean more towards just making the sacrifice and doing the AX88U for $150 more. If that's too rich (understandable), then just stick with a AC68U or AC86U on a proven Merlin firmware train.

The 58U is Broadcom based not intel. There was some confusion about it but Merlin confirmed it the other day.

I have both the 88U and the 58U and they’re very similar.

The Asus RT-AX58U is based on Intel Lantiq WAV654. 2x2 MIMO on both bands,

Wrong... The RTAX58U is Broadcom based all the way. Check your facts before posting.

I would like to use merlinFW but it not make or break and at some point the 58/56 might support it. atm I just need much better wifi coverage which isnt great, I also have issue where some time a device connected to wifi have to change connection IE if on 5ghz and nothing is loading, I have to switch to 2ghz and it work till that stops work and i have to switch to 5ghz and it will work, seeing the connection is there and it connected to wifi but nothing come threw, unless the device connection to router is reset. which main complaint i keep getting, which one reason why look for another router, but have the same issue there is no point getting new router

the AX88U isnt gona happen way to much. so 58U is what i should look to get? the tri core vs quad core wont make much of difference? and signal range should be identical? and as for speed of wifi i dont think really matter much only the ipads and iphones are only thing plus the surface 3 thing that "can" get 400 down but they will never use such speeds.

Been thinking of lately switching to Streaming services for TV, which would mean 3 TV steam at once at most, and if it 4k stream that is what roughly 40mbit stream per tv? that right there would brutalize network performance on Fast 5260 I have, seeing 1 stream of maybe 10mbit is enough to show how under powered that route, and seeing I game online, that big issue with out QOS.

I want to be able to game and not have latency jump threw roof if and when we switch to streaming tv. and QOS is gona be need for that from my understanding, I just want router to be able to hand the the 400~500+mbit we get with QOS, only 1 client at time will pull those speed at time. and seeing AX is new spec I rather get that then stick to AC, but by time get around to getting router AX might be out of it "teething" phase

Most my stuff is wired for a reason, WIFI will never be as stable or ethernet it fine for mobile device and fine or web browsing and streaming things, but for gaming just cant compare atlest not yet.

Last edited: