What's new

a "little" disappointed...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

darco

New Around Here
just a little,,,,,,so I moved from an Asus rt-n66u running tomato, to a new refurb Netgear 7800.
I had vpn running on the asus router but the d/l speeds were pretty weak so I uninstalled the vpn and just ran the client s/w on my devices (d/l speeds still weak).
My goal was to have vpn on a new more powerful router to cover all my devices, hence the purchase of the Nighthawk. Well I guess I didnt do my homework because even tho I have great d/l speed with vpn running, the router does not allow me to install vpn directly unlike Tomato or Merlin.
I also wanted to hide my smart tv actions ....
Should I return it and get a router that supports tomato/merlin?
Running latest voxel fw......
thxs
d

Look at DD-WRT as a potential alternative.

OpenWRT also supports it, but I don't know if it fully supports it, or only Ethernet-connected clients.

Try running Voxels FW on your R7800?

Been using dd-wrt on my R7800, but I use it in "wired-only" mode (wireless radios turned off). It has been performing perfectly for me, I even get an "A" for bufferbloat with QoS turned on. Using the Orbi in AP mode for wireless, and the combination is working really well for me.

By the way, using Kong r33770M dd-wrt build. Voxel also works really well, would be using that if I were using the wireless on the R7800.

If going open source, try OpenWRT/LEDE Hnyman’s builds, LEDE seems more up to date with patches and fixes for the IPQ8065 and ATH10K, especially the recent patches, plus the Cake QoS is not available in DD-WRT which works wonders.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!