What's new

AC-3200 384.4 Update WiFi Connectivity Issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IM BACK ON 380.69_2 AGAIN!!

Netflix is now running as it should again on my LG TV.

No more sh***y 382/384 FW for me!!

Last edited:
Just an observation. I had a device on my 2.4 network that just wouldn't automatically connect. I always had to reboot the device and then it would attach. I disabled acceleration on my AC3100 and boom every device I have now connects on its own without delay.

I got so tired of my 2.4GHz being unreliable, I did the dumbest thing possible: I downgraded to 380.69_2.
Why is this dumb? Because I tried it 5 days ago and it caused a boot-loop that lasted over an hour.

But this time - somehow - it worked.

It's GLORIOUS. All the WiFi channels work. The router is snappy (and so is my gigabit Internet :cool:). I'll be sitting on this firmware until the SNB world at large confirms that firmware ≥ 384.x is stable.

In case you're considering doing the same thing, here's my success story (I'm sure you SNB folks already know all this but the random Googler who's stuck may not):
• make sure you're hard-wired into your router
• give your computer's adapter a manual IP of 192.168.1.9
• power off the router
• power on while holding WDS button to clear NVRAM (hold onto that sucker for a good 30 seconds)
• let go of WDS and wait until you get the initial setup screen at 192.168.1.1 (could take up to 5 minutes)
• power off the router
• hold down reset button and power on router while continuing to hold reset button for about 30 seconds - this gives you the ASUSTEK CFE miniWeb interface ("rescue mode"?)
• flash the downgraded firmware
• don't restore settings; that's never a good idea anyway
• pray

After downgrading, I had a very high NVRAM usage. An aggressive NVRAM clear (holding WDS while booting then factory reset in the GUI) returned my usage back to normal.

Here's the thing: Merlin said that ASUS said downgrading from 382/384 to 380 on AC3200 is not supported due to bootloader size mismatch. So do this at your own risk.

(edit for clarity and mention of NVRAM usage)

I signed up for this forum just to thank you. I did all the steps and my AC3200 seemed to work fine. I was able to get 27 devices connect to the 2.4GHz network without problem. But today the same problem again, 4-5 clients drop out at a time and they can't reconnect. The problem only starts occurring after 20-25 clients have connected. Is 380.69_2 working fine for you still?

My daughter had some friends round which pushed the connected device count to over 40 at which point my 3200 running 384.4_2 completely crapped out. Internet disconnected, WiFi radios stopped and could not connect to the gui. Have now downgraded to 380.69_2 and all is now running great with more than 40 devices connected

I signed up for this forum just to thank you. I did all the steps and my AC3200 seemed to work fine. I was able to get 27 devices connect to the 2.4GHz network without problem. But today the same problem again, 4-5 clients drop out at a time and they can't reconnect. The problem only starts occurring after 20-25 clients have connected. Is 380.69_2 working fine for you still?

Sorry for the delay.
I did have some stability problems when the device count exceeded 25.

Here are some things I did which have helped:
• disable Explicit Beamforming
• turn the power down from the maximum to the second-highest
• I also found that throughput is higher when I restricted the 2.4GHz network to the narrow channel (20MHz only, as opposed to 20/40MHz). Counter-intuitive, yes. But file transfers confirm it.
• don't set "Wireless Mode" to "N only". Leave it as "Auto"
• disable "b/g protection" (not sure about this one; it supposedly takes some load off the router which might be why it seems to help)

Essentially, play around with 2.4GHz-related stuff until you find your stability. The above list are the only things which appeared to have an impact, for me.

My prediction: Asus and/or @RMerlin will address the 384-related 2.4GHz problems in a near-future release and that will be the most stable of all.

Also, you're welcome @Saurabh! Glad I could help.

I also found that throughput is higher when I restricted the 2.4GHz network to the narrow channel (20MHz only, as opposed to 20/40MHz). Counter-intuitive, yes.

The wider the channel the more susceptible it is to interference. When you use a narrower channel the signal would be more reliable/stable.

In ideal situations though (no interference, relatively close to AP), wider channel would definitely give you a higher throughput than a narraow channel.

Last edited:
384.3 is running well for me: completely stable, all devices connect. Of course, my 2.4G issue may have been due to a bad reset ... but I'd prefer not to try again until issues show as solved.

384.3 is running well for me: completely stable, all devices connect. Of course, my 2.4G issue may have been due to a bad reset ... but I'd prefer not to try again until issues show as solved.
i'm also using 384.3 at the moment, a very stable version for AC3200, i'll stay with it now

i'm also using 384.3 at the moment, a very stable version for AC3200, i'll stay with it now

You should update to the latest release. By staying on 384.3 you are exposing your router to an exploit that needs patching.

Hello, Same issues, here 384.4 and 384.5 are suspect will not connect on 2.4GHz for some devices, however 384.3 works fine on all 2.4GHz devices.

I'll bring up that I noticed there's an issue with how the 3200 is handling the 2.4 ghz network. I added an alternate router specifically to manage the 2.4ghz clients which are mostly smart devices.

I'll bring up that I noticed there's an issue with how the 3200 is handling the 2.4 ghz network. I added an alternate router specifically to manage the 2.4ghz clients which are mostly smart devices.
Yes I noticed my 2.4 ghz network is working but slow , at times almost unusable . Don't know what the problem is , but my 2.4 clients are all realtek , maybe there is a problem with realtek and the routers 2.4 ghz radio ? Had this problem with one of the previous 284 builds not sure which , but it seems to be back . Could it be a problem with the 2.4 radio on the Asus , have not tested with the other 2 3200 I have so I'll have to test the other 2 to see if it is a 3200 problem or specific to this one 3200 .

Yes I noticed my 2.4 ghz network is working but slow , at times almost unusable . Don't know what the problem is , but my 2.4 clients are all realtek , maybe there is a problem with realtek and the routers 2.4 ghz radio ?

There have been reports that the most recent stock firmware has fixed the 2.4Ghz issue.

Just to add another data point, I’m also seeing problems with my only Realtek 2.4Ghz wireless adapter, with 3200 on 384.5.

There have been reports that the most recent stock firmware has fixed the 2.4Ghz issue.

Just to add another data point, I’m also seeing problems with my only Realtek 2.4Ghz wireless adapter, with 3200 on 384.5.

I'm using the latest 284.5 as well , problems i reported are with this FW . Seems even the 5.ghz line when using realtek client is slowing down at times as well , transfer rate went from 17MBPS TO 512 KBPS Strange

Last edited:
I'm using the latest 284.5 as well , problems i reported are with this FW . Seems even the 5.ghz line when using realtek client is slowing down at times as well , transfer rate went from 17MBPS TO 512 KBPS Strange
Have to add , the slowdown also happens on the 5 ghz channel as well on the realtek clients , just takes a bit longer , went from 27-30 MBPS down to 512 kbps to 1MBPS transfer speeds , this only happens with realtek clients , all others are stable no big drops in speed

Have to add , the slowdown also happens on the 5 ghz channel as well on the realtek clients , just takes a bit longer , went from 27-30 MBPS down to 512 kbps to 1MBPS transfer speeds , this only happens with realtek clients , all others are stable no big drops in speed
Is there a way to go back to the 380 fw yet or am I stuck with this 384 fw for life ? My realtek clients just don't work with this fw , works for a short while and dies a slow death .
Is there a 384 that works with realtek clients or am I out of luck ?

Is there a way to go back to the 380 fw yet or am I stuck with this 384 fw for life ? My realtek clients just don't work with this fw , works for a short while and dies a slow death .
Is there a 384 that works with realtek clients or am I out of luck ?
Downgrading is possible (but not supported by Asus/Merlin). I posted earlier in this thread about how I was able to successfully accomplish the downgrade: but do this at your own risk.

Good luck!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!